Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after experiencing the same "low gallons of fill" at the gas pump, I experimented today and found an easy fix.

Ignore the gas gauge.
The gas gauge and yellow warning light is faulty, not the gas tank. With a 1 gallon gas can as a confidence booster I drove and drove and drove. 150 miles past the yellow light, and 120 miles past "empty". This was normal 65 mph freeway driving. Not babying it in the least.

After almost a year of filling up with 9 or 10 gallons each time the yellow light came on, this time I was able to put in 12.785 gallons before the first automatic shut off. I waited just 5 seconds, squeezed the trigger again and went to 13.257 gallons. I waited 5 more seconds, then filled to 13.479 gallons. I then let it sit while I washed the windshield, came back and did the dribble in method and was able to fill to 15.310 gallons.

I drove 616.7 miles and DID NOT run out of gas. I just ran out of patience and wanted to get home in time to watch the football game.

So it is True. In "normal" freeway driving, 65 mph, the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid will go at least 600 miles. If you ignore the yellow light. Fill up when the light comes on and ya, expect 400-450 miles.

Some of you can only fill with 9 or 10 gallons because you are ONLY USING 9 or 10 Gallons!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
I don't think it is that easy for everyone. Anaconda ran his tank dry and still could only pump less than 13 gallons into the tank. I believe he tried all the slow fill and pause steps also. Hopefully he will comment.

·
Registered
41 Posts
THANK You for the info! Hopefully, the “issue” with the fuel tank is not as bad as it first appeared.

I am on the minority list as I did not have any issues with my fuel tank. So I am assuming the worst fuel tank issues are localized to a specific line. Mine was built in a Canadian facility so perhaps the 2020 line of hybrid has been corrected? Remains to be seen. Thanks again!

·
Registered
516 Posts
THANK You for the info! Hopefully, the “issue” with the fuel tank is not as bad as it first appeared.

I am on the minority list as I did not have any issues with my fuel tank. So I am assuming the worst fuel tank issues are localized to a specific line. Mine was built in a Canadian facility so perhaps the 2020 line of hybrid has been corrected? Remains to be seen. Thanks again!
I have a 2020 built in Canada and it does have the problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That sucks. I initially thought I had a problem because my MPG suffered drastically.
•When I picked up my RAV4 10 days ago with a full tank, DTE was 920 km or just shy of 600 miles.
•I drove about 200 km and my DTE plummeted to 500 km.
•I did some estimated calculations and assumed I had a fuel tank issue as it meant I only have a 10 gallon tank, not 14.5 gallons or 55 litres.
•when I eventually went for a fill at just shy of 1/2 on the gauge, I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to put in about 8 gallons.
I hope it wasn’t a one-off. Good luck with your issue. Hope it gets resolved.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Well but the thing is it should never take 3 top offs (illegal here and no self serve), dribbling, waiting, or incantations to get the tank full.

Did you fill to the top of the filler neck? The reason I ask is because maybe you got >14.5 gallons in by also filling the vapor recovery canister. ;)

·
Registered
516 Posts
That sucks. I initially thought I had a problem because my MPG suffered drastically.
•When I picked up my RAV4 10 days ago with a full tank, DTE was 920 km or just shy of 600 miles.
•I drove about 200 km and my DTE plummeted to 500 km.
•I did some estimated calculations and assumed I had a fuel tank issue as it meant I only have a 10 gallon tank, not 14.5 gallons or 55 litres.
•when I eventually went for a fill at just shy of 1/2 on the gauge, I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to put in about 8 gallons.
I hope it wasn’t a one-off. Good luck with your issue. Hope it gets resolved.
For many of us the problem did not become apparent until several fill-ups after driving off the dealer's lot. And I wish you good luck with yours too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2020 built in Canada and it does have the problem.
Dang Canadians :censored:. Got my fingers crossed for a solution from Toyota! We’re all in this together.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still..... 3 gallons of "reserve" looks like how these gauges are programmed. Seems a bit excessive on a car that gets 40+ MPG.

·
Registered
234 Posts
You have the same gauge I do which is different than a lot of others that post here. I have never left the light come on and never did in any of my other cars, I guess I fill up when prices are cheap and driving by a station. Maybe I am thinking of the old rule of not going below a 1/4 tank to help fuel pump life

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't think it is that easy for everyone. Anaconda ran his tank dry and still could only pump less than 13 gallons into the tank. I believe he tried all the slow fill and pause steps also. Hopefully he will comment.
12.7 gallons PLUS 2 gallons from my gas can on my last complete "run out of fuel." For a total of 14.7 gallons. I won't be stretching it that far again. I'll do 80 miles past ZERO DTE - but that's pushing it (especially in cold weather.)

·
Registered
516 Posts
12.7 gallons PLUS 2 gallons from my gas can on my last complete "run out of fuel." For a total of 14.7 gallons. I won't bet stretching it that far again. I'll do 80 miles past ZERO DTE - but that's pushing it (especially in cold weather.)
So in your opinion, is the problem strictly a software/firmware programming issue or is the tank and/or filler part of the problem?

·
Registered
382 Posts
So in your opinion, is the problem strictly a software/firmware programming issue or is the tank and/or filler part of the problem?
WOW - first time anyone asked for my opinion.
WELL - here's my opinion:
I think it's a TWOFOLD problem.
I don't think it is a tank problem - it has the stated 14.5 gallons.
I think that is has a venting problem which could be solved by one or two things. IE: much larger venting system (which might entail a new tank to accommodate the larger vent tube.) and or a much larger filler tube (which might entail a new tank to accommodate the larger fill tube.) Either one of these would allow more air to be expelled during the filling process.
I also think it has a software/firmware problem. I don't think that the gauge is linear (which could be solved by a software fix.) The software must be calibrated on the full end of the scale, but must also be adjusted for the empty end too (this may require a new sending unit in the tank for the fix.)
I am no engineer - only a backyard mechanic monkey. So others, I'm sure, have their opinions and I respect that too. YMMV

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the tank "venting" problem is minor once you get used to it. Also it was probably intentional. There are air quality rules and they WANT:NEED the tanks to be "air tight".

Second, I think there is a HUGE overly cautious "reserve" between when the yellow light comes on, and when you are really empty. There is a minimum of 3 gallons left, possibly 4.

So put one and one together and what do you get? Exactly what people are seeing out there. Take one case by itself, and it may go unnoticed by most folks.

·
Registered
805 Posts
My guesses.

Causes are:

1. The routing of the filler tube lower than the entry point of the fill tube into the side of tank entry to the tank of that tube. This was done to avoid the suspension.

2. The entry point selected for the fuel filler tube to enter the tank. There appears to be tank space above the point of fuel fill entry so as the fuel in the tank reaches the highest point of the fill tube as it enters the tank there is enough gas coming down the tube that it blocks the exit of fumes/air from the tank and back pressure increases in the fill tube. Which might explain why slow fill seems to work so much better than quick fills. The slow fill allows more venting to escape. This selected by the designers to accommodate the routing of the filler tube and so the tube wouldn't intrude into the luggage space.

These from observation from under the car.

Of course I could be very wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Confusing why sometimes I get right at a full tank and other times between Full and 3/4. Just wondering now if there is something wrong other than a tank issue. I have talked to HQ and they are still working out a remedy. They will replace the tank but no guarantee it is a fix and is not the final fix. Tonight I filled up and it was on "F". Don't think it was quite full but I can live with it. Said 403 miles till empty. I've never had any problems with Toyotas and have driven them for years. Very disappointed but is something I can live with until Toyota decides what the fix will be,

·
Registered
2 Posts
So after experiencing the same "low gallons of fill" at the gas pump, I experimented today and found an easy fix.

Ignore the gas gauge.
The gas gauge and yellow warning light is faulty, not the gas tank. With a 1 gallon gas can as a confidence booster I drove and drove and drove. 150 miles past the yellow light, and 120 miles past "empty". This was normal 65 mph freeway driving. Not babying it in the least.

After almost a year of filling up with 9 or 10 gallons each time the yellow light came on, this time I was able to put in 12.785 gallons before the first automatic shut off. I waited just 5 seconds, squeezed the trigger again and went to 13.257 gallons. I waited 5 more seconds, then filled to 13.479 gallons. I then let it sit while I washed the windshield, came back and did the dribble in method and was able to fill to 15.310 gallons.

I drove 616.7 miles and DID NOT run out of gas. I just ran out of patience and wanted to get home in time to watch the football game.

So it is True. In "normal" freeway driving, 65 mph, the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid will go at least 600 miles. If you ignore the yellow light. Fill up when the light comes on and ya, expect 400-450 miles.

Some of you can only fill with 9 or 10 gallons because you are ONLY USING 9 or 10 Gallons!!!!
Thanks for sharing it!
I left my 2019 RAV4 Hybrid at the dealer with the promise it would be fixed after replacing a part that supposedly should be configured by the manufactory and sent to the dealer. After two weeks I got my car back with the same issue. I have no patience to be back and forth to the dealer, so I decided to just top off after the automatic shut off at least two more dollars of gas. Usually, it goes around 12 gallons. I will try a little more.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And / or try driving a gallon (30-40 miles depending on your conditions) past DTE zero. Put in an extra gallon than usual PLUS use up an extra gallon than usual and PRESTO! you have gone 60 to 80 more miles on a tank.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not a hybrid owner, but I have an observation or two:

First of all, it's absolutely, entirely typical for any vehicle to have some capacity below its computer-designated "low fuel light" or "zero miles remaining" on the dashboard displays. My 2015 Corolla had about 4 gallons remaining after an indicated zero miles remaining. My 2019 RAV4 Limited AWD has right around 2 gallons remaining after an indicated zero miles remaining.

I have always used a spreadsheet to keep track of my gas fillups and mileage, and with the new "zero miles remaining" displays, I started recording that, along with one of my usual calculations: Very simply, you have a 14.5 gallon tank, and if you just filled it with 10.5 gallons, you have 4 gallons remaining. And so on. So, I compare that to the "miles remaining" display to get fairly reliable estimates of how many miles I'll likely be able to drive after a zero miles remaining display. I sure would recommend that you hybrid owners develop spreadsheets to keep track of exactly what you're pumping, what your displays were saying at each fillup, and so on.

There was a thread -- and heck if I could find it again -- in which someone posted pictures intended to be used by first responders, of both the hybrid and conventional RAV4 models. And if you haven't seen that, holy cow -- the hybrid gas tank has what I would consider to be a "very unusual" shape, being very "shallow," and extending below most of the entire interior of the vehicle. Especially as compared to the gas models' gas tank, which is far taller, and fits within the shape of the back seat. The folks who have been describing the physical working of things, as mentioned above, have a very good grip on this stuff -- there truly is "something different" here.

As for "it's illegal here," I live in Oregon, one of the states which prohibits the pumping of gasoline by consumers. Nope, you're not supposed to get out of your car, start the pump, and start fueling your vehicle. Still, I just can't imagine that anyone would give you any guff if you stepped out and talked with the attendant while he or she started pumping your gas -- just say that your hybrid is known for not getting anywhere near full when the pump clicks off, so you intend to go ahead and manually complete the filling process, and you'll go ahead and shut the pump off properly when you're done. Yes, perhaps that's technically "against the law," but I'm really quite sure that nobody is going to call the police to come and arrest you. By all means, print out an article about the issue, and have that in your vehicle so you can show it to anyone who cares. But again, just get out and complete the process, and I have a hard time believing that anyone would give you a hard time about it. And if you encounter that at any given gas station, just start going elsewhere.

Finally, I have seen videos from "car YouTube channels" wherein when they do gas mileage tests, they always end their fueling sessions by waiting a full 30 seconds -- not just 5, but 30 -- before giving the pump one more push. By all means, you might experiment with slightly longer wait times between attempts to get the last bit of your tank filled.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Not a hybrid owner, but I have an observation or two:

First of all, it's absolutely, entirely typical for any vehicle to have some capacity below its computer-designated "low fuel light" or "zero miles remaining" on the dashboard displays. My 2015 Corolla had about 4 gallons remaining after an indicated zero miles remaining. My 2019 RAV4 Limited AWD has right around 2 gallons remaining after an indicated zero miles remaining.

I have always used a spreadsheet to keep track of my gas fillups and mileage, and with the new "zero miles remaining" displays, I started recording that, along with one of my usual calculations: Very simply, you have a 14.5 gallon tank, and if you just filled it with 10.5 gallons, you have 4 gallons remaining. And so on. So, I compare that to the "miles remaining" display to get fairly reliable estimates of how many miles I'll likely be able to drive after a zero miles remaining display. I sure would recommend that you hybrid owners develop spreadsheets to keep track of exactly what you're pumping, what your displays were saying at each fillup, and so on.

There was a thread -- and heck if I could find it again -- in which someone posted pictures intended to be used by first responders, of both the hybrid and conventional RAV4 models. And if you haven't seen that, holy cow -- the hybrid gas tank has what I would consider to be a "very unusual" shape, being very "shallow," and extending below most of the entire interior of the vehicle. Especially as compared to the gas models' gas tank, which is far taller, and fits within the shape of the back seat. The folks who have been describing the physical working of things, as mentioned above, have a very good grip on this stuff -- there truly is "something different" here.

As for "it's illegal here," I live in Oregon, one of the states which prohibits the pumping of gasoline by consumers. Nope, you're not supposed to get out of your car, start the pump, and start fueling your vehicle. Still, I just can't imagine that anyone would give you any guff if you stepped out and talked with the attendant while he or she started pumping your gas -- just say that your hybrid is known for not getting anywhere near full when the pump clicks off, so you intend to go ahead and manually complete the filling process, and you'll go ahead and shut the pump off properly when you're done. Yes, perhaps that's technically "against the law," but I'm really quite sure that nobody is going to call the police to come and arrest you. By all means, print out an article about the issue, and have that in your vehicle so you can show it to anyone who cares. But again, just get out and complete the process, and I have a hard time believing that anyone would give you a hard time about it. And if you encounter that at any given gas station, just start going elsewhere.

Finally, I have seen videos from "car YouTube channels" wherein when they do gas mileage tests, they always end their fueling sessions by waiting a full 30 seconds -- not just 5, but 30 -- before giving the pump one more push. By all means, you might experiment with slightly longer wait times between attempts to get the last bit of your tank filled.
Can you let us know at what point the low fuel
Light comes on in the ICE? I want to compare it to the Hybrid.
Thank you.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts