Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
The same page that talks about 2.2 gallons of reserve. Corroborated by the fact the trip computer uses 12.3 to calculate range on a full tank. Corroborated further by several people on this message board that have field tested their cars. I understand some people trust their "manual" more than the actual data from driving. But that is foolhardy. The car is what it is. The manual was written 2 years in advance about what the car should be.

You'd be best off trusting actuality vs. potentiality.

I think Toyota is in trouble because someone said this Rav4 has potential for 600 miles. Not necessarily designing it for the average driver to get 600 miles. What page in the manual says owners should expect 600 miles per tank?

·
Super Moderator
9,418 Posts
I'm trying to find this in the OM. Would you mind providing a reference please?
I don't have an OM to look it up but if it states a capacity of 14.5 and a 2.2 gallon reserve that means a usable capacity of 14.5 - 2.2 = 12.3 as gpsman states. Then whatever the ACTUAL reserve is comes off the usable capacity.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't have an OM to look it up but if it states a capacity of 14.5 and a 2.2 gallon reserve that means a usable capacity of 14.5 - 2.2 = 12.3 as gpsman states. Then whatever the ACTUAL reserve is comes off the usable capacity.
The manual says 2.3 gallons or less after the light comes on. Not after 0. My light comes on at 30 miles DTE. So that only leaves about a little better than a gallon after 0.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The same page that talks about 2.2 gallons of reserve. Corroborated by the fact the trip computer uses 12.3 to calculate range on a full tank. Corroborated further by several people on this message board that have field tested their cars. I understand some people trust their "manual" more than the actual data from driving. But that is foolhardy. The car is what it is. The manual was written 2 years in advance about what the car should be.

You'd be best off trusting actuality vs. potentiality.

I think Toyota is in trouble because someone said this Rav4 has potential for 600 miles. Not necessarily designing it for the average driver to get 600 miles. What page in the manual says owners should expect 600 miles per tank?
This sounds like your interpretation and not indisputable fact. Period. Others here have USED all 14.5 gallons so to me that is the USABLE fuel tank capacity. This is the way it works in the aviation world anyway and I don't see why it would be any different in this situation

·
Registered
296 Posts
/me grabbing popcorn and sitting down in my comfy chair for a Sunday afternoon read of 'Strawman' and other fallacious entertainment. :p

·
Registered
711 Posts
You know I kind of admire the OP’s persistence in trying to convince us this isn’t a big deal. I got a little PO’d at one point and I was appropriately moderated.

But if Toyota intended to make a “revolutionary” change in how fuel gauges and DTE calculation and Low Fuel Warning and refueling procedures are intended to work, well they should have informed us up front. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
9,418 Posts
On this or one of the other DOZEN similar threads someone suggested that if the tank has an extra flat bottom it may be difficult to set the float to read precisely at low fuel levels. So Toyota chose the safe side that being an extra couple gallons at Low Fuel.

·
Super Moderator
9,418 Posts
You know I kind of admire the OP’s persistence in trying to convince us this isn’t a big deal.
I'm taking the capital letters out of the title to soften his persistence a little. Does it help?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm taking the capital letters out of the title to soften his persistence a little. Does it help?
You could change “Fix” to “Workaround”. Or maybe phrase it as “DIY Cognitive Behavioral Therapy” to change how we do things to accommodate the car’s idiosyncrasies.

·
Super Moderator
9,418 Posts
“DIY Cognitive Behavioral Therapy”
Sounds like an expensive series of treatment sessions. Who's buying? Or do you pay at each fillup attempt?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
After my experiment, my wife drove the car the whole tank. Did her own thing. Went to a different gas station. Filled the car her way. But I asked her to call me at the moment the car hit DTE zero and she did.

DTE "refuel" (just hit zero)
Trip Odo: 521.6 miles
MPG Indicated: 42.4

521.6 / 42.4 = 12.3 gallons predicted used.

She went 14.9 Miles past zero to her favorite gas station. (536.5 total)

Automatic to first click: 9.770 gallons.
waited 10-15 seconds.
Manual to second click at full speed: 11.317 gallons.

She "didn't want to mess with it" so hung up the hose after that.

Did nothing unusual other than ignored the yellow light, and started to look for a gas station AFTER it said refuel. Comfortably and easily put in 11.317 gallons when the math said it should have been 12.6. Did not spill any fuel. Spent maybe 15 extra seconds to get from 9.77 to 11.317 gallons.

Those 15 extra seconds gave her 1.547 extra gallons and 66 extra miles.

DTE after restarting: 485
485 / 42.4 = 11.43 estimated gallons.
Almost exactly what she pumped in.
The needle was just barely touching the F. I had her take a photo as I know there is much interest in this.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
It is definitely shutting off early. Even the gauge / trip computer can detect it was not full. DTE would have been 521 if full. It would have been full if my wife dribbled in about a gallon more. Totally possible. But sometimes not worth the effort. But this "problem" is manageable. If you want to manage it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So after experiencing the same "low gallons of fill" at the gas pump, I experimented today and found an easy fix.

Ignore the gas gauge.
The gas gauge and yellow warning light is faulty, not the gas tank. With a 1 gallon gas can as a confidence booster I drove and drove and drove. 150 miles past the yellow light, and 120 miles past "empty". This was normal 65 mph freeway driving. Not babying it in the least.

After almost a year of filling up with 9 or 10 gallons each time the yellow light came on, this time I was able to put in 12.785 gallons before the first automatic shut off. I waited just 5 seconds, squeezed the trigger again and went to 13.257 gallons. I waited 5 more seconds, then filled to 13.479 gallons. I then let it sit while I washed the windshield, came back and did the dribble in method and was able to fill to 15.310 gallons.

I drove 616.7 miles and DID NOT run out of gas. I just ran out of patience and wanted to get home in time to watch the football game.

So it is True. In "normal" freeway driving, 65 mph, the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid will go at least 600 miles. If you ignore the yellow light. Fill up when the light comes on and ya, expect 400-450 miles.

Some of you can only fill with 9 or 10 gallons because you are ONLY USING 9 or 10 Gallons!!!!
Holy Macaroni. Where do you live? $3.77/gal.? That is crazy. Last fill up of 10 gallons early this week cost me only $25!

·
Super Moderator
9,418 Posts
Ya ya ya.... but I'm getting 616 miles per tank, so maybe the gas is better! 😜
Yeah but you cheat! You use a gps man!

81 - 99 of 99 Posts