Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad the site is back up. Thanks Kelly.

A few months ago I had 2 sub boxes built that go around the L and R rear wheelwells. Made out of 5/8 inch fiberboard and covered in thin carpet. Fortunately, the amp fit in the R storage bin behind the sub box. The sub boxes take up virtually no cargo room and allow the rear seats to recline fully.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey RAVenous, do you happen to have any design specs. or measurements, step by step instructions or pics to go along with this mod? I would be interested in trying this myself, but only building 1 sub box instead of two, but prefer instructions to follow instead of pioneering from scratch.

Thanks in advance. :roll:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scooby- sorry I don't have exact dimensions. But it is pretty much a rectangular box except for the wheel well area. I built a prototype out of cardboard and brought it to a shop that does sub boxes. I believe that the inside depth is only 4.5 inches, since that is what I need to get volume to meet the specs of the sub. I drilled through the 2 nipples in the interior (above the box) and popped 1/4 inch bolts from the inside of the panel to mount the sub. These are the only 2 attachment points, but you need to push the sub downward as you tighten the knobs so the sub can't move at the bottom. Alternatively, a bottom bolt would make the thing rock solid if you go to a bigger box or heavier sub/magnet. The sub is easily removed if you need to replace a taillight bulb.

I originally had one box built and they used fiberglass to mold the wheelwell area. I reported on this in August in the Rav0z board - see http://www.compact4wd.com/rav4oz/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=561 . There was no interest at the time to mass produce the things - but the discussion on "stealth" boxes is interesting to read there. I later went back and had a mirror-image box made for the driver side. This one used all wood - so it looks the same from the outside, but has a little less volume because the wood crosspiece is inset further in at the wheelwell. Much cheaper and easier to build however and sounds the same to me. The addition of a second sub makes the sound a little more full and non-directional but probably not worth the extra trouble! But the RAV looks symmetrical when you open the cargo door.

Good luck. Howard

·
Registered
34 Posts
RAVenous said:
Glad the site is back up. Thanks Kelly.

A few months ago I had 2 sub boxes built that go around the L and R rear wheelwells. Made out of 5/8 inch fiberboard and covered in thin carpet. Fortunately, the amp fit in the R storage bin behind the sub box. The sub boxes take up virtually no cargo room and allow the rear seats to recline fully.
Gotta agree.. Glad the site has returned Kelly!

Heya RAVenous! That box install came out really clean!! Can't tell from the pic exactly what sub that is, but if for some reason it sounds too "punchy" for you, you can fill it with sound damping material to give it a smoother and lower bass response. I only mention this because I've built a few boxes with this exact design(mine new is pretty much the same, except larger), and I know sealed boxes tend to sound boomy(to me at least) unless crossed over low with a high slope, or else have a much larger volume. The smaller volume sealed enclosures lack the low resonance, but that can be compensated for by filling with an absorpbant material. If your installers knew what they were doing, they would have done this, and they probably did, but for such an [Inexpensive Thing] it's definitely worth checking if you haven't already. Rock on brah, and Happy RAV'n!

..ChimChim

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Chim Chim,
Glad you are back too! How have you been?

There is plenty of polyfill in each of those boxes. To hold the polyfill in place, they stapled some screen door material inside the boxes to compress and retain the polyfill and not let it float around. I thought that was pretty ingenious. The subs are by a div of Audiobahn and rated at 250W RMS each. Big magnets but only 4.5" deep. I'm sure it sounds nothing like your big custom box - but it does the job. Howard

·
Registered
34 Posts
RAVenous said:
Hey Chim Chim,
Glad you are back too! How have you been?

There is plenty of polyfill in each of those boxes. To hold the polyfill in place, they stapled some screen door material inside the boxes to compress and retain the polyfill and not let it float around. I thought that was pretty ingenious. The subs are by a div of Audiobahn and rated at 250W RMS each. Big magnets but only 4.5" deep. I'm sure it sounds nothing like your big custom box - but it does the job. Howard
Heya RAVenous! I've been just handy dandy happy-go-lucky as usual... kinda floatin' around internet-limbo lookin for other RAVie peoples... so I'm happy this is open again! Sounds like your installers did you justice with the polyfill, as well as with a great looking box! I've heard 8" subs absolutely rumble deep in ported enclosures, and in sealed enclosures sound like boomy door speakers, but it sounds like your guys got it right! :D Typically the polyfill is fit loosely in the box, not compressed, however just the fact they put it in and of course your satisfaction lets me know they knew what they're doing. Had to at least ask since if they didn't, it would be really easy to fix... and how bout that wind we had that one night earlier this week!! Enjoy the San Diego El Nino rain! Happy RAV'n!

..ChimChim

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice!

You did a nice job on that sub box! Thanks for posting it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts