Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, recently I had to replace the condenser fan on my RAV4 (electric cooling fan closest to the drive belts) and every place I called, quoted me over 2 hours labor at different rates. After spending a few weeks studying all the components in the engine bay and underbody, I finally found a way to remove these fans without discharging and removing the A/C condenser. The only tools I used are a 12mm and 10mm socket with various length extensions, a 10mm box wrench, phillips screwdriver and a general set of pliers. Here are the steps:

-remove air filter housing and inlet pipe feeding into radiator support
-unbolt and remove coolant reservoir tank
-remove the two upper radiator mounts
-unbolt a/c condenser
-remove fasteners to the wiring loom mounted underneath the upper radiator support
-drain 1/2 gallon of coolant from radiator drain spout
-squeeze and slide back upper radiator hose clamp
-remove upper radiator hose from radiator (opposite end of hose does not have to be removed from the engine)
-unbolt the top mounts of both cooling fans with 10mm wrench
-remove lower splash guards on both sides of the underbody
-unbolt lower mounts of both fans and unplug the connectors
-in the engine bay, maneuver the engine cooling fan (driver's side fan) up and out (with the air filter housing removed, wiring loom tucked IN FRONT of the fan shroud, and holding back the upper rad hose, there should be clearance)
-there is a vertical metal support mounted directly below the hood latch with a bolt and nut at the top and single bolt at the bottom. Remove these to remove the support. (this part was actually the hardest to reinstall, due to the awkward angle and tension on this piece)
-with that support out of the way (and some careful maneuvering), you should be able to slide that condenser fan to the driver's side and maneuver it out like the engine cooling fan.
-Installation is the reverse of these steps

After I got both fans out, I realized the radiator itself could also be removed this way as well, if needed! I know the dealer had to discharge and remove the condenser when I had the radiator replaced. In doing this, just be very careful with the radiator fins, to not knick or bend them! Hope this helps for anyone that may need a new radiator or electric cooling fan installed! This whole process only took me an hour and ten minutes. I apologize I don't have any pics of the process, but it was so hot and humid when I did this and all I wanted to do was hurry and get it done so I could cool off lol.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Glad you got it out!
A guy in Australia did a nice youtube video on replacing the radiator in a 99 Rav4 this same way without removing the AC condenser.
Watched it last year but can't find it now. It was a nice step by step video thanks to Autozone giving him a bad radiator the day before so he had to do it a second time in 2 days. Was a nice video.

I also unbolted the hood latch and slid it to the side to make it easier to remove and install the passenger side fan.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you got it out!
A guy in Australia did a nice youtube video on replacing the radiator in a 99 Rav4 this same way without removing the AC condenser.
Watched it last year but can't find it now. It was a nice step by step video thanks to Autozone giving him a bad radiator the day before so he had to do it a second time in 2 days. Was a nice video.

I also unbolted the hood latch and slid it to the side to make it easier to remove and install the passenger side fan.

I've had a couple of people tell me about this video too. They said it was a 99 burgundy-ish model, but I couldn't find it either. One of the dealer service techs said I could probably get by without having to remove the hood latch. I was, in fact, able to get the passenger side condenser removed without having to undo the latch, I just had to finagle the fan oh so carefully out to avoid damaging the radiator fins. I can definitely see how the radiator can come out this way, as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU my AC cooling fan has quit working took it to a 3rd party Toyota repair place and they wanted over $700 to replace the fan. Ive ordered a replacement from Amazon after reading your instructions, it will only cost $65....I appreciate your efforts to post the instructions.

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,169 Posts
I removed the radiator in my 99 RAV4 without removing the ac condenser. It was difficult getting the fans out because the lower bolts were rusted into place. I found it was easier and far simpler to remove the exhaust manifold to gain access to getting the fans unbolted and then unbolt the condenser and hoses running to it to gain enough room to shift the condenser forward far enough to get the radiator out. The fins on the lower third of my radiator were so badly deteriorated that I just replaced the radiator with a new one, in fact I replaced the entire cooling system see my thread http://www.rav4world.com/forums/85-4-1-faults-fixes/243105-cooling-system-rebuild.html.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, recently I had to replace the condenser fan on my RAV4 (electric cooling fan closest to the drive belts) and every place I called, quoted me over 2 hours labor at different rates. After spending a few weeks studying all the components in the engine bay and underbody, I finally found a way to remove these fans without discharging and removing the A/C condenser. The only tools I used are a 12mm and 10mm socket with various length extensions, a 10mm box wrench, phillips screwdriver and a general set of pliers. Here are the steps:

-remove air filter housing and inlet pipe feeding into radiator support
-unbolt and remove coolant reservoir tank
-remove the two upper radiator mounts
-unbolt a/c condenser
-remove fasteners to the wiring loom mounted underneath the upper radiator support
-drain 1/2 gallon of coolant from radiator drain spout
-squeeze and slide back upper radiator hose clamp
-remove upper radiator hose from radiator (opposite end of hose does not have to be removed from the engine)
-unbolt the top mounts of both cooling fans with 10mm wrench
-remove lower splash guards on both sides of the underbody
-unbolt lower mounts of both fans and unplug the connectors
-in the engine bay, maneuver the engine cooling fan (driver's side fan) up and out (with the air filter housing removed, wiring loom tucked IN FRONT of the fan shroud, and holding back the upper rad hose, there should be clearance)
-there is a vertical metal support mounted directly below the hood latch with a bolt and nut at the top and single bolt at the bottom. Remove these to remove the support. (this part was actually the hardest to reinstall, due to the awkward angle and tension on this piece)
-with that support out of the way (and some careful maneuvering), you should be able to slide that condenser fan to the driver's side and maneuver it out like the engine cooling fan.
-Installation is the reverse of these steps

After I got both fans out, I realized the radiator itself could also be removed this way as well, if needed! I know the dealer had to discharge and remove the condenser when I had the radiator replaced. In doing this, just be very careful with the radiator fins, to not knick or bend them! Hope this helps for anyone that may need a new radiator or electric cooling fan installed! This whole process only took me an hour and ten minutes. I apologize I don't have any pics of the process, but it was so hot and humid when I did this and all I wanted to do was hurry and get it done so I could cool off lol.
If you are working on an automatic vehicle, it also helps to remove the Auto Trans Dipstick tube!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts