Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to go straight to listing my symptoms:
1-While idling (in park or with foot on the break) my rpms will drop which causes my car to shutter then will go right back up again BUT sometimes (been getting more frequent) it will go so low that it causes my car to stall? (Shuts off, all lights on dash will come on and have to restart it)the first time it ever did this was while i was reversing with my wheels turned.
2-when driving at a consistent speed all of a sudden there seems to be a "loss of connection" with the gas pedal. It feels like i put it in neutral until i release the pedal and press it again which causes a little jurk then resumes as normal. During all this the car does not lose speed. Most recently this happens while coming out of a stopped position while entering an intersection. Sometimes having to release and press the gas twice before it actually goes as normal.
3-While trying to accelerate and while driving it does hard shift which i know is a symptom of ECM problems.
4-For a long while (1yr?) my check engine light was on but no code was showing up as a cause. As of right now it has been off for a few months.
As precaution it was recommended and have replaced the spark plugs(didnt change a thing). One guy told me that my vehicle has a timing chain not a belt which means it shouldnt be the problem because timing chains dont need to be replaced. But i read somewhere else that timing chains do sometimes need replacement or fixing? How can i tell?
Went to toyota to ask a few questions they said some of the things ive mentioned are ECM issues but there are others that seem to be something else. One suggestion was it could be moisture in some sort or electric plug or something like that? I cant remember what it was... does that sound familiar to any of you? I hope i dont have to replace the transmission. I NEED this problem fixed because i feel like i may be doing more damage the more i drive it in this condition. Is that possible? Thanks!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
You didn't complete your user profile so we have no idea which RAV4 you own. Is it a 2001 or a 2005? 4WD or 2WD? Automatic or manual transmission?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry idk how. And didnt think about adding it to my question..im new to forums but i own a 2003 2wd automatic nothing fancy

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
Yes, it sounds like your ECM is acting up. You need to get it fixed ASAP, as continuing to drive it like that will damage your transmission. I recommend you send it to Check Engine in Brooklyn--here is the link:Service List

1 - 5 of 5 Posts