Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been trouble shooting a high idle situation. Idle hovers around 1400 and will drop down to nothing and stumble back to 1400 when coming to a stop. Its a manual transmission. Anyway, for good measure, I have checked all the usual culprits and replaced them for good measure. IAT, IAC, TPS, air filter, all new. TB has been cleaned, throttle cable adjusted to its correct slack. Checked for vacuum leaks. Checked continuity from TPS to ECM. It all checks out.

The last thing I've done is checked the ECM terminals using the procedure in the toyota service manual. Pg EG 238. Between terminals VTA and E2 I should be getting 0.3-0.8v with throttle closed and 3.2-4.9v fully open. The only voltage I got was about 0.2v with the throttle closed and 0.00v with it open.

What does this mean? bad ecm? I dono what else to test.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
I haven't had this issue with my RAV but I did have it with a Chevy, practically the same symptoms and then some. I troubleshot everything as you did and determined it was the PCM/ECM (combined on the Chevy), I replaced the ECM and all was great, in fact it ran better than it had in years.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Measure the voltage at the TPS, if still zero when the throttle is open, replace the sensor.
If the voltage is ok at the TPS and not at the ECU, then you have a wiring problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts