Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

561 - 580 of 610 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
2001 rav transmission..

My 01 just hit 86000, and I think the ecm issue is starting. Anyone ever use Auto Module Service?..thanks in advance

·
Registered
47 Posts
They also have Ebay buy it now auctions. The buy it now price is $135. I made an offer of $125 and it was instantly accepted. You might be able to get it for less.

Hopefully, this link works:

automodulesource | eBay

After winning, I messaged them with the information needed and they ship it out from Florida by UPS ground with a return label inside the box.

Don't ship yours back until you're confident things are good. When you put in the refurb, start the car then just let it idle for 5-10 minutes, then drive around your neighborhood in stop/go traffic for a little bit.

My first one acted funny the 2nd or 3rd day and I contacted them and they sent me another one by UPS air with a return label. You then send your first refurb back immediately after getting the second one with the second return label.

My second one had a rough idle the second time I drove it. But it's been great since then.

Hopefully, you won't need to do that.

Replacing the ECM myself was worth it as a test versus bringing it to the dealer. $125 experiment, and it worked.

·
Registered
36 Posts
One last question...anyone use the guy in Tennessee that is on ebay? feedback is good (99.7%), 175 and 50 back, lifetime warranty

·
Registered
47 Posts
that ends up being the same price as what I paid, little more trouble in waiting for the $50 refund after sending the core back, but they offer a lifetime warranty, which is nice. My guess is they're good too. I went with Auto Module Source because I was able to search their feedback and saw several RAV4 ECM purchases leaving positive feedback. After I left my feedback, I see several more positive feedbacks. I get a 1 year warranty though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
you might be able to do a lower buy it now offer, but yeah, being without a car sucks, and you don't want to drive the RAV4 if the ECM is really mucking with the transmission. Mine wasn't too bad, but it started happening just when I bought a new car, so I had more time to deal with things.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Update: Ordered the ECM from Automotive Scientific in TN. He is on ebay with the username ate1234. I ordered on Thursday, received it by Saturday. Installed it, let it idle for about 5 minutes then drove. No hard shift on 2-3. Everything very smooth. A couple times idle dropped to around 500...but it has evened out. I have driven it 50 miles so far...so far so good!!! Super pleased with the service.

·
Registered
47 Posts
glad things are working out. If you have an ODB reader, check it every so often for codes. If any pop up, do a search to see if it's serious, then clear it if not. I had one code pop up, but that was early on and I was testing the new ECM on the highway, cleared the code and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I just purchased a 2001 Rav4 a week ago. It is a 4wd automatic with 142k. I absolutely love what the Rav offers (4wd, small economical motor for my highway commute, designed much better than the comparable CRV generation). Plus the previous owner was METICULOUS in maintenance; in fact he took it for a $1700 job to do rear suspensions a week before selling it to make sure it would be in good condition. I also lucked out that the engine has been swapped with a much lower mileage motor by an auto shop because they messed up a prior engine job. I really would like to keep the car for a few years.

Anyway, I was quite hesitant at first before buying due to the transmission issue. I test drove it and seemed to be running fine no noticeable issue with the trans. So far, I have noticed a "quirk" and am not sure if it's a big deal or not. It seems when I first drive it in the morning heading in to work, the 2nd-3rd gear shift seems to happen all the way at around 3k (the previous shifts will happen somewhere between 2-2.5k if I'm conservative on the throttle). There isn't any hard shifting or jitter or anything like that, it just kind of worries me that it'll rev (with relatively normal thrust/torque) all the way to 3k before it shifts. In fact if I ease on the throttle, where most cars it'll initiate a gear shift, it'll stay in the same gear until it hits 3k. After a while it'll shift regularly between 2 & 3.

I did look at the history of the car through toyota, it seems that it has had the following:

6621J2 07/06/2007 CAMPAIGN/RECALL CAMPAIGN/RECALL ~|~ENGINE FLASH ~|~ ~|~FLASH COMPLETED AND SUCCESSFUL
WARRANTY PAY

I am inclined to think this was a reflash of the ECU for the trans? No info on who it was done by. I was thinking of just biting the bullet and going with a refurbed ECU from one of the aforementioned places in this thread, but will this be just a redundancy or do these places offer a reflash plus actual physical refreshing of the ECU? Or is it just purely software?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I MENTIONED THIS SOMETIME AGO AND NOBODY PAID ATTENTION TO IT.

besides the 6 resistors were re-soldered, there is a transistor. (B906) right next to the 820 resistors also re-soldered.

Matter of fact, since the ECM was soldered using non-lead, and the bigger the transistors/resistors may not get good connection, why not resolder them all. Flip the board over and resolder the big ones too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello,

I just purchased a 2001 Rav4 a week ago. It is a 4wd automatic with 142k. I absolutely love what the Rav offers (4wd, small economical motor for my highway commute, designed much better than the comparable CRV generation). Plus the previous owner was METICULOUS in maintenance; in fact he took it for a $1700 job to do rear suspensions a week before selling it to make sure it would be in good condition. I also lucked out that the engine has been swapped with a much lower mileage motor by an auto shop because they messed up a prior engine job. I really would like to keep the car for a few years.

Anyway, I was quite hesitant at first before buying due to the transmission issue. I test drove it and seemed to be running fine no noticeable issue with the trans. So far, I have noticed a "quirk" and am not sure if it's a big deal or not. It seems when I first drive it in the morning heading in to work, the 2nd-3rd gear shift seems to happen all the way at around 3k (the previous shifts will happen somewhere between 2-2.5k if I'm conservative on the throttle). There isn't any hard shifting or jitter or anything like that, it just kind of worries me that it'll rev (with relatively normal thrust/torque) all the way to 3k before it shifts. In fact if I ease on the throttle, where most cars it'll initiate a gear shift, it'll stay in the same gear until it hits 3k. After a while it'll shift regularly between 2 & 3.

I did look at the history of the car through toyota, it seems that it has had the following:

6621J2 07/06/2007 CAMPAIGN/RECALL CAMPAIGN/RECALL ~|~ENGINE FLASH ~|~ ~|~FLASH COMPLETED AND SUCCESSFUL
WARRANTY PAY

I am inclined to think this was a reflash of the ECU for the trans? No info on who it was done by. I was thinking of just biting the bullet and going with a refurbed ECU from one of the aforementioned places in this thread, but will this be just a redundancy or do these places offer a reflash plus actual physical refreshing of the ECU? Or is it just purely software?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The recall work was probably just a re-flash - software only. But from what I can tell, that's not a proper solution for the issue. If I were you, I would go to ebay and get a new ECM. Since it seems you know how to reproduce the problem, you can try the refurb ecm where they do whatever soldering is needed as well as reflash (I'm pretty sure most of them do that). If it's better, great. If it's worse, get another one sent - you still have your original. If it's the same, at least you know you did preventative maintenance on the ECM. It's cheap enough, and fairly easy to do. Only hardware you need are a socket set with an extension, and a stubby philips screwdriver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking a buying a 2002 Rav4, 225500km, automatic. I have just spent a fair amount of time reading through this thread, right back to the posts made in 08...and I thank everyone for their valuable info and insights.

Can anyone advise me on the best way to broach the issue with the seller... of the possible (even highly likely) 'defective' automatic transmission and/or ECU, and just what I should be doing and looking for when inspecting and test driving it? (it's a private sale)

Thanks in advice :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't think there's any way to determine if the ECU is faulty or about to go bad if you don't experience any symptoms while test driving. Sometimes it may seem fine for a few days, then act up, and from what I read, it can be mild to severe.

If it's acting funny, you can try to discount the price and hope it's just the ECU and not the transmission. But then, you don't know how long they may have driven it with a bad ecu and what damage was done to the transmission.

If it test drives fine, then you can always proactively replace the ECU, or just wait.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Typo.
Yeah, it sounds like it's gunna come down to luck of the draw really!
I think the particular vehicle I was looking at has just been sold anyway...
Thanks again for you help :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks everyone, i got my 2003 RAV4 fixed

hi Typo, I just register an account to say thank you!
I purchased a 2003 RAV4 @2011, only 60K miles. and i added 20k miles in past 4 years.
Two weeks ago, it suddenly had switch issue, just like others descripted, I drove to dealer, They charged 130 for Degnosice.., and told me ECM fault, Transmission need replace, $$5800 , then i said, if you give me $5000, i left my car to you! Then he told me check again, another result, transmission still good, need replace ECM for $$1200.
i am very lucky found this thread, and followed Typo's suggestion, purchased a Remanufactured ECM for $139 from(automodulesource)@ 6/16, and i got it 6/19, replaced this morning, my RAV4 is back!!!

also thanks for this video(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyQIFV5JOfg ),very helpful.

sorry for Poor ENGLISH

·
Registered
47 Posts
glad my experience helped you

but it was all the previous posters in this thread that helped me with the confidence to try this myself

·
Registered
1 Posts
We purchased a 2002 RAV4 with just 102,000 miles on 6-12-2015 - not even a month and a half ago!!!--having no clue of any of these issues until two weeks ago my 17yr old was driving his Grammy home from the funeral of my father-in-law and she said that when they were driving that she thought the transmission was slipping because the engine just revved instead of going into gear.
Well, we never got it to duplicate that until two days ago when I was driving and pulled out of my driveway and instead of going, the engine just revved. And then jerked into gear! Then later that day as I was in the grocery store parking lot going very slowly it started jerking really bad. Then later when it would go from 1st-2nd it was a hard jerk.
Soooo.... The dealership we bought the car from offered a 3000 mile, 3 month warranty and I also purchased a 36000 mile, 3 year extended warranty from the bank where we financed it. So I figured one or the other should easily cover the transmission.
I took it to the local Toyota dealership and they pull up the warranty enhancement info and tell me about the ECM issue and that hopefully Toyota would pay for it....but then today they call and said no-- it wasn't covered by the enhancement because it was more than 10 years! And neither warranty will cover the computer component because they only cover engine parts.
Their quote to fix for parts and labor is $1000.!!!
I called the dealership we purchased from and he offered to pay half of that but recommended getting a second opinion.
I'm not sure what to do?!?! After reading all these posts I feel like I could replace the part if I can get it!! It is certainly not a labor intensive repair! I think $1000 is outrageous!
I am just praying that if my transmission is damaged that the other warranty WILL cover that!!
Has anyone had any experience with that?? It's a Route 66 extended warranty.
Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would bet your transmission is ok, unless you keep driving it. I would do what others have, get a refurb one directly from one of the companies listed, or thru ebay. It's fairly easy to replace the ECM, just need small tools to reach everything.

read thru this thread for some recommendations on vendors/ebay vendors

If you're adventurous, you could try to do the soldering yourself.

561 - 580 of 610 Posts