Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 610 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took my 2003 Rav4 to the local dealership yesterday and got quite frustrated. I read and read all the posts about the ECM. I thought it would be a good idea to have it looked at under warranty (63,000 miles) before it gets too bad. I can feel a hard shift downshifting mainly. The dealership said it would be 80 bucks to have it hooked up to the computer and they couldn't replace the ECM only reprogram it. And they can only reprogram it if the can replicate the problem. It does it then it stops so when am I suppose to have it fixed? When the transmission goes out? At that point he said the transmission isn't covered anyway. After 60,000 miles transmission won't be fixed. What should I do. Fork over the 80 bucks for them to tell me it isn't bad enough yet and to come back when it is really bad? I figured the customer is always right and to reprogram fix or whatever you have to do to stand behind your product. Toyota is known for quality but for the past 3 weeks I have owned to vehicle it has been pure headache.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
TheBoro85 said:
I can feel a hard shift downshifting mainly.
Any general scenario on the Downshifting?
& and particular Gear/Speed?

BB said:
So the ECM is only in the automatics right?
ECM = Engine Control Module

All modern engines have this computer to control and monitor all
it's functions, and other components in which it gets information through
other control units or sensors.
The Automatic models ECM control and monitor the Transmissions TCM = computer.

So lets say you hit the Brakes, The ECM knows this and tells the TCM what to do.
Modern Trannys hydrolically open and close valves to control gear shifting.

Cheers, Walt :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
can anyone here tell the VIN's affected by the issue? i have a 2004 rav but build date was 03, not sure about the transition of dates.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Expensive Transmission Replacement. Could it have been just the ECU/ECM?

Hi All, I have a 2001 RAV4 with 156K miles; the Transmission started slipping, jerking in gears, loss of power, loud "thunk" when entering reverse.

Took it to the dealer and they said a Power Flush on the tranmission would fix it. Did it ($150 USD) and returned next day as the problem got worse.

They looked at it again and came back saying the problem was internal and needed a new tranny. After reading all the posts here and other sites, and going to and callling other transmission shops AND opening a case at Toyota Customer Service (which resulted in a dead-end, they simply said the vehicle was out of warranty); other tranny shops said the ECU is a common problem and that improper shifting burns the planetary gears over time. After all this research, I decided to go ahead with the dealer for $3,500 USD. I kept asking the dealer to check the ECU as I had read this was a common problem but dealer came back saying the ECU was ok.

Dealer changed the tranny in a few days; picked up my car AND THE PROBLEM WAS STILL PRESENT!!! went back to the dealer (quite upset), dealer came back saying a new ECU was needed and wanted more money; I said ... NO WAY, after a few days the ECU was installed at no cost.

Tranny appears to be working fine (its been 3 days) although I noticed some vibration and noise today and also what appears to be fluid/oil on two tubes/hoses in front of the tranny, right above the metal part that protects the tranny from below. Will take it to dealer for another check.

All in all, I think that my tranny was worn down by a bad ECU over the years and that the ECU never reported any problem; I religiously take my car for service ever 5K miles to the dealer and did the tranny power flush/oil change every 45K miles as stated in the service manual.

I am convinced that my tranny would have been saved if the ECU was diagnosed properly over the years. I believe this is the OEM's fault. I've read about a class action suit but don't know where that is.

Does any one have advice on what to do?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So all of you rav4 owners, what is the verdict? This thread is getting beat to death, however there are no solutions for the unfortunate over 80,000 miles.
:wall (being at the mercy of the dealer is not a solution...) Does anyone know how to repair the defective ECM?
Where is the cheapest replacement ecm to be found? I found a pretty good deal for $900 at ToyotaPartsCheap.com considering that the dealer wants $1100 + tax.

I guess I could rant a bit about this ecm... just pulled it today in hopes that a reset might cure its woes. (the audacity of hope...) Opened it up, rather surprised to find a neat pcb with no signs of dust, arcing or burnt circuits... :egad: WTF??? I must have a new ecm!!!

Hope you guys at Toyota are watching this thread, this is the 4th and LAST toyota I will own. GM made a living on self destruct parts, that is why I and most of America stopped buying their cars. So now Toyota is going to do the same thing? I guess Toyota will be bankrupt in a few years once everybody figures out this game and Edmunds stops lying and saying that these vehicles are reliable.

Well, its been about 4 hours, time to put it back. Interesting side note, all of the screws holding the ecm brackets to the truck were loose. Odd since this rav4 has only been touched by myself and the dealer. I'm also curious if anyone else opened their ecm up for a look. Was it dusty?

·
Registered
4 Posts
MyIntegraIs16 said:
So all of you rav4 owners, what is the verdict? This thread is getting beat to death, however there are no solutions for the unfortunate over 80,000 miles.
:wall (being at the mercy of the dealer is not a solution...) Does anyone know how to repair the defective ECM?
Where is the cheapest replacement ecm to be found? I found a pretty good deal for $900 at ToyotaPartsCheap.com considering that the dealer wants $1100 + tax.

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15515&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=30 post 39

repair 161$

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was just wondering if the people who got the ecm rebuilt by the people at rav4ecm.net remember what the check engine light code was before it was rebuilt? I am trying to see if there is a common error code that was shown for the ecm issue. I understand that the TSB said any one of the errors are caused by the faulty ecm but I am just trying to see if there is a common hint to lean towards the ecm. For me, I have the error code P0750, solenoid A. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rover, thanks for the reply.

As for rebuilding the ECM/ECU, what companies did people use? I looked through ebay and saw 2 companies that does it. 1) autoecu.com and 2) rav4ecm.net. Which one to choose? the first one is $100 cheaper. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1 Posts
TheBoro85 said:
What should I do. Fork over the 80 bucks for them to tell me it isn't bad enough yet and to come back when it is really bad?
Thanks for bringing this up, TheBoro. I have a similar concern. I want to take my 2003 in to have them do what needs to be done before something dangerous occurs, and I'm wondering what to do if I run into the same argument. Frankly, if you have a TSB that says something must be repaired or replaced under warranty, then you do it, even if there have been no problems. There should be no if/then arguments or required payments about it.

I've had no problems with my little 2003 (bought it used in December 2007) and it only has 54,000 miles on it, and I want to keep it that way for my customary 12- to 15-year usage.

Advice, wise ones? And thank you in advance. Enjoy reading ALL your comments.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I have a 2003 RAV4 and as many owners, the ECM burnt the transmission... the dealer was asking $7,000 to replace the transmission and said the computer might not need to be replaced.

I took the car to a transmission shop to get it rebuilt at a cost ot $3,500.. He took the car to the dealer and we are now waiting for a ECM for 3 weeks..... the dealer said it could take from 2 days to 2 months to get a new ECM, there are 16 on back order in Toronto, there are none in stock in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto nor Vancouver, they are coming from Japan. blah blah blah.... I have called Toyota Canada, they took my complaint but no reply, I sent numerous email to Toyota Canada with no reply, I called the head of Parts at the dealer who said he would call me right back.... no call back..... I now have cancer and wanted my RAV4 coming out of surgery, easier to get in and out than a small car.... well went for surgery a couple of weeks ago, now going for treatment, again without my car..... does anyone know where I can get a new ECM Part # 89661-42890? And if we get it, how do we know it wont burn the transmission again?

:roll: :twisted:

·
Registered
9 Posts
:egad: That is an absolute shame... I ordered my ECM from https://www.toyotapartsexpress.com, they had it to me in 3 days... Local dealer wanted $1140, The internet saved me about $300. The computer needs to be replaced. Show them the TSB Your ECM is listed on the Revised TSB TC002-06 . The dealer is jealous that he didn't get to rip you for $7 g's. My RAV4 is fine now... Fine enough to get inspected and trade in. Seriously, it drives just great, barring any other major issues, the economy dictates that she just might have to be a keeper.
However... your transmission may not have been too badly damaged and the dealer and transmission shop might be taking you for a ride. I just searched your part number (89661-42890) and it appears to be in stock. Don't know if they ship to Canada. Also I am using DEXRON IV instead of T-IV transmission fluid.
:cheers:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
ecm repair shop

See my posts at: calavish
http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20109&highlight=ecm+repair

I used the rav4ecm.net/ and the service was very fast and efficient. I chose them over the other site listed on ebay because of the feedback I read on ebay. Then I called the shop and talked to the person that did the work. He has a thick accent (possible Romanian which was interesting because I found other info on the ECM from someone in Romania). I did this as preventative maintenance, because the RAV4 is my daughter's college transportation. As for peace of mind the $400 was worth it to me. The ECM has been flawless since I received it back (2,000 miles so far have been driven).

BTW the T-IV trans fluid had never been changed (98,000 miles 2WD) and was looking grayish instead of red. So after reading all the trans fluid posts here, bought a case of T-IV at the dealer ($4.85/quart) and did the following: (this took a total of 2 hours)

1 - removed the Trans fluid pan plug with a 10mm hex head socket
2 - drained the pan into a clean plastic opened pan
3 - measured the fluid that came out by pouring it from the pan into empty clear plastic 1 pint water bottles (so I could get an accurate measurement and inspect the fluid by shining a spot light through the fluid (It was not transparent)
4 - also inspected the tip of the plug for sludge/grit/etc - plug has a small indentation on the tip (it looked clean... this was good)
5 - replaced the plug
6 - carefully refilled the pan with fresh T-IV through the dipstick tube using a small funnel(with the same amount of fluid I removed - a little less the 3.5 quarts)
7 - drove for 10 miles
8 - inspected the fluid on the dip stick and it was still too grayish for me
9 - repeated steps 1 - 5 and this time the fluid was transpaent but still dark
10 - refilled the pan with T-IV again through the dipstick tube using a small funnel(with the same amount of fluid I removed - a little less the 3.5 quarts)
11 - drove for 10 miles
12 - inspected the fluid on the dip stick and it was cherry red
13 - with the transmission hot I added a little to top it off (using the dipstick gauge I was slightly under filling because you want to avoid overfilling at all cost)
14 - drove it 2 weeks and topped it off again (this time to the HOT fill marks on the dipstick gauge - for a total of exactly 3.5 quarts which is what the dealer says is the amount needed to drain and fill)

Plan is to change fluid every 50,000 miles from now on.

I recommend T-IV only for long trans life.

Why did I decide not to flush the tranny and replace the filter? After reading the posts here and looking at the dealer maint records for my mother-in-law's Camry (they changed the fluid, but didn't flush or change filter) I decided not to disturb the system with compressed air or break the seal on the pan, and the tip of the plug didn't contain residue. I did want cherry red fluid and so for 2 hours work and $35 dollars I achieved my goal.

Hope this helps someone.... sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Given that I really do not have an option to replace my car for at least ten more years, I want to be proactive and change the ECU or ECM. Does anyone have the official part number, and is it used for all RAV4s globally? I am thinking of going ahead and replacing this part if I can get a good price from the dealer. Is it a guaranteed fix to the problem?

Cheers.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
EMC repair or replace?

I have a 2002 Rav4 with ecm gone bad and possibly transmission repair. Dealer won't budge on price of emc so am thinking of getting a new part bought off the internet. Couple of questions if you don't mind. Can a do-it-yourself weekend mechanic (me) without dealer tools replace the ecm? Is there a post or site that describes how in English? Does the ecm need to be reprogrammed by the dealer or can I install the new or rebuilt one myself?
May I ask what price folks have been paying for new and for rebuilt ecms? And last, any thoughts on which part company to buy new or rebuilt?

Much thanks.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I'm from the Philippines and experiencing the same problems..

I have a Rav4 2002 a/t 4wd.

I tried to show the TSB to the dealer and they said they are not aware of the issue. They had to forward to TSB to the main office and even said that they had to confirm if the TSB is fake or not. Considering the warranty, I could be still on warranty because my mileage is at 69k. I'm still waiting for reply from the main office. In case they would not consider, what could I tell them or show them as proof that the TOYOTA company is aware of the issue and the solution? And is this TSB applicable to all countries?

To add, I would like to ask those who had their ECM's replaced how their rav4s are doing currently? Because in case i get it fixed, I want to know if it is safe to keep the car or just sell it. Thanks in advance for your help.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Toyota issued a Technical Service BULLETIN saying that the transaxle may exhibit a harsh shift condition and this is under warranty until 80,000 miles or 96 months...

You will find the Bulletin at the following web site:

http://rav4world.com/tsb/2001/TC002-06.pdf

So if it is under warranty, get it changed......

·
Registered
446 Posts
What are the exact numbers of the parts in question? My car is 2002 with only 33,750 miles on the clock! Given our environment, the dealer will probably tell the customer to go to hell before they even think of helping them out, and customers have no choice because only one dealer exists per country :(

·
Registered
446 Posts
Re: EMC repair or replace?

douglasbram said:
I have a 2002 Rav4 with ecm gone bad and possibly transmission repair. Dealer won't budge on price of emc so am thinking of getting a new part bought off the internet. Couple of questions if you don't mind. Can a do-it-yourself weekend mechanic (me) without dealer tools replace the ecm? Is there a post or site that describes how in English? Does the ecm need to be reprogrammed by the dealer or can I install the new or rebuilt one myself?
May I ask what price folks have been paying for new and for rebuilt ecms? And last, any thoughts on which part company to buy new or rebuilt?

Much thanks.
I am like you, if I can bargain for a discount part at the dealer and I can take care of this myself, I will probably go ahead and do it. The part numbers are in the TSB, but, which one is for my car? Appreciate your assistance.

41 - 60 of 610 Posts