Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the Torklift ecohitch, which seems great. However, the foot-activated sensor no longer works at all for me. Does anyone know what the sensor looks like, where it's located, or how to recalibrate or reposition it? It'd be a real bummer to lose this.

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
Try kicking off center a bit, that works for other hitches.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm also in search of the same information. I have the Curt hitch installed and although the kick sensor still works, it is not as consistent as before the hitch was installed. I just want to know where the sensor is located and how big of an area it will detect the kick motion so I can adjust my kick.

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
I've suggested relocating the sensor since the 4th gen had the hands-free liftgate, but no one has ever followed up, so good luck.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've suggested relocating the sensor since the 4th gen had the hands-free liftgate, but no one has ever followed up, so good luck.
I've tried googling for any available information or videos on how to relocate the sensor but coming up empty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I’d be happy to try, but I have no idea where the sensor is or what it looks like, so I don’t know where to start

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
The owner's manual shows it to be inside the valance/fake skid plate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah... I looked in that general region and wasn’t able to identify it. I’ll look again, would be helpful to see a picture or diagram of what to look for

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for finding that— I’ll take a look under the car when I get home, hopefully something reveals itself. Otherwise I might see if the dealer mechanics have any ideas

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, took a look. Can see the edge of what appears to be the sensor assembly, but absolutely no clue how to adjust it. Maybe if the hitch is off you can see more, but I think I’ve hit a dead end

·
Registered
750 Posts
Looks like this is the part (891B20R030):

Seeing how long the sensor is, I wonder why adding a hitch would make such a difference in how well it detects the kick motion. I'm also wondering for the Ecohitch, because the hitch pushes up on the bottom valance, does it disrupt the sensor because the sensor wires are moved.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just saw this note in the manual (Hybrid manual page 696):

"4:When the towing hitch is installed, kick sensor does not work "

This is not a troubleshooting section, but about customization of the key fob operation. So it seems Toyota expects the kick sensor to not function when hitch is installed.

Rob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, that would seem to be a pretty solid answer. Maybe you can still get a bit of functionality if you trim the valence, but given that line I’m not gonna take the time to remove the hitch, cut the valence and reinstall. Once a bike rack goes on there the kick sensor won’t be used much anyway.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I just want to find out exactly why it doesn't work with a hitch installed. From what I've gathered, the sensor consists of the two wires that is laid across the inside of the valence, and it is supposed to sense the kicking motion. The sensor doesn't do it by line of sight so it detects the kick by other means, maybe if something comes into the electrical field that the wires generate? This is pure speculation, but the fact that the user manual says the kick function may not function properly near an electrical noise source seems to support this theory.

·
Registered
750 Posts
And for the record, it still works with the Curt (although not as consistently as without a hitch). I'm not sure if it's because the Curt (and the Draw-Tite) both doesn't actually touch the valence.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too have installed the Curt hitch and have lost consistent functionality of the kick to open liftgate. I can wave my hand between the hitch loop and the bottom of the bumper on the left side of the hitch and it will open the liftgate. The metal of hitch must interfere with sensor operation. I may look at relocation of the sensor to restore the functionality of the kick to open. I travel often for work and find this feature useful when hands are full.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts