Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What in the world is this? What does it mean and why\when should I use it? Also, when answering, please keep in mind I'm a female who can only distinguish other RAV4s (everything else on the road are cars, trucks, vans, or SUVS), didn't learn to gas a car until I got one, and will never, ever change a tire (unless there is a gun to my head.)Thanks in advance for your help, and really, I'm not a bad driver... or person for that matter. I'm just a princess trying to live in a world where everything is mean to me..... :)

·
Registered
881 Posts
UrbanSpice said:
What in the world is this? What does it mean and why\when should I use it? Also, when answering, please keep in mind I'm a female who can only distinguish other RAV4s (everything else on the road are cars, trucks, vans, or SUVS), didn't learn to gas a car until I got one, and will never, ever change a tire (unless there is a gun to my head.)Thanks in advance for your help, and really, I'm not a bad driver... or person for that matter. I'm just a princess trying to live in a world where everything is mean to me..... :)
Electronic control transmission is what it means, which really doens't explain anything. Basically with it turned on, the engine will always go to the maximum programed revs before shifting because the computer is controlling the shifts. With it turned off the shifting is controled by throttle position like any regular mechanical automatic transmission. So ECT on typically means more power, less fuel economy. Although that is not always the case because if you are climbing a lot of hills or pulling a trailer it can actually give you better fuel economy.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
From the RAV4 FAQ:

The ECT button (which stands for "Electronically Controlled Transmission") changes the shift points for the automatic transmission. When engaged, the transmission shifts later, allowing the engine to get to a higher power level and accelerate faster. Gas mileage is usually reduced in this mode. Use it when you need to get up to speed faster; for example, to merge into fast moving traffic. The normal position for this switch is OFF.

That pretty much sums it up. The transmission is always electronically controlled, but pushing the button in tells the transmission's computer to use a more aggressive shift program and stay longer in the lower gears for better acceleration.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bmorton said:
From the RAV4 FAQ:

The ECT button (which stands for "Electronically Controlled Transmission") changes the shift points for the automatic transmission. When engaged, the transmission shifts later, allowing the engine to get to a higher power level and accelerate faster. Gas mileage is usually reduced in this mode. Use it when you need to get up to speed faster; for example, to merge into fast moving traffic. The normal position for this switch is OFF.

That pretty much sums it up. The transmission is always electronically controlled, but pushing the button in tells the transmission's computer to use a more aggressive shift program and stay longer in the lower gears for better acceleration.
Yes, but there are two buutons on my dash. One that says ECT-P(Green Light) & another that ECT-S (Amber Light). What you are referring to is the ECT-P one. What is the other one for ?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Not many RAVs actually have the ECT-S or "manual" button, and most just have the ECT "power" button that changes the shift points. From what I can find out, the "manual" button puts the transmission into a mode where, when you use the gear lever to choose a gear other than "D", it will hold your chosen gear and give you control over when to shift up or down, not unlike the manu-matic transmissions that a lot of newer vehicles have (automatic with a manual shift mode).

Maybe you can try it out and let us know if this is the way it works.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah Im the same as Cha I have the 2 buttons as well
I never use the 'Manual' button but I do use the 'Power'
for overtaking as it just gives that extra boost.... :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts