Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come up with a procedure, step by step instructions on how to reset the ECU. This is mainly based on instructions for a '95 Civic and to the best of my memories.

1) Turn the car on and bring it to normal operating temperature (approx. 20 min on a cold start).
2) While waiting to reach normal operating temperature, turn off all auxiliary functions (i.e. Radio, headlights, interior lighting, climate control).
3) Turn the car off.
4) Remove the ECU fuses and wait 5 minutes.
5) Reinstall the ECU fuses.
6) Keeping all doors closed and not using any power controls, turn the car on and wait 10 minutes. (Important! Do not rev up the car.)
7) Turn the car off and wait 1 minute.
8) Turn the car on and wait until the engine reaches normal idling.
9) Turn the car off.
10) Done!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is this a two man job, or for step 5) do you climb in through a window? :lol:

Seriously, I was under the impression that removing the fuse for a few mins was enough. Is it not?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose you may need another pair of hands.

But for me, I'd roll down the windows during step 2. Then during step 6, you can start up your car by leaning through the open window. But in your case, your other helping hands can.

During step 6, I don't think anyone would want to wait 10 min without the radio. Opening the door will cause the "Door Ajar" indicator to light up. Also, ensure the driver seat belt is fastened, dim the gauge lights and release the parking brakes. The point is, you shouldn't use any auxiliary functions. Doing so will unnecessarily load the engine during its initial re-learning sequence.

Class dismissed. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
instructions to reprogram a brand new car.......i love technology.......who would have thought, i feel very 22nd century sticking my head head through a window to reboot my computer........oops, i mean rav......... :twisted:

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
c-17 said:
I have come up with a procedure, step by step instructions on how to reset the ECU. This is mainly based on instructions for a '95 Civic and to the best of my memories.

1) Turn the car on and bring it to normal operating temperature (approx. 20 min on a cold start).
2) While waiting to reach normal operating temperature, turn off all auxiliary functions (i.e. Radio, headlights, interior lighting, climate control).
3) Turn the car off.
4) Remove the ECU fuses and wait 5 minutes.
5) Reinstall the ECU fuses.
6) Keeping all doors closed and not using any power controls, turn the car on and wait 10 minutes. (Important! Do not rev up the car.)
7) Turn the car off and wait 1 minute.
8) Turn the car on and wait until the engine reaches normal idling.
9) Turn the car off.
10) Done!
Seriously - just disconnect the battery for 15 mins.......

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
I though he was just joking this time. Especially with keeping door closed and turning "car" on and off.

N

·
0 Posts
RavDude said:
I suppose you may need another pair of hands.

But for me, I'd roll down the windows during step 2. Then during step 6, you can start up your car by leaning through the open window. But in your case, your other helping hands can.

During step 6, I don't think anyone would want to wait 10 min without the radio. Opening the door will cause the "Door Ajar" indicator to light up. Also, ensure the driver seat belt is fastened, dim the gauge lights and release the parking brakes. The point is, you shouldn't use any auxiliary functions. Doing so will unnecessarily load the engine during its initial re-learning sequence.

Class dismissed. :thumbs_up:
You mean to tell me that the gauge lights draw significant enough current on a 100-150A alternator to noticably load the engine? I would have to disagree with your assessment. Re-learning can be properly accomplished on any modern engine via normal operation, ie driving.

·
Super Moderator
9,309 Posts
I doubt many members of this 10+ year-old thread are watching anymore but the short answer is, as several had said, disconnect the battery for a few minutes. But keep in mind this also restarts the emissions monitors so you can't do it and pass emissions immediately.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts