Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about modifying the STOCK oem exhaust setup (not about replacing the entire exhaust with a new dual exhaust setup.) What will happen if the oem muffler is modified to become a dual exhaust system?...in terms of gas mileage, acceleration. Any and all comments welcome on this topic. Thanks.

K

·
0 Posts
Lost of back pressure if not done properly. Lost of torque at low end and better response at high rpm.

Poor fuel economy.

·
Registered
302 Posts
(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

will any of these work on a 4.2 RAV???
if yes, which one will you install in your RAV and how will you plan to install it(modifying the install to fit)????

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pyxy_567: Your questions belongs in a different thread. There is another one titled specifically for your question. I was really hoping we'd keep this thread focused on the topic, but I'll deviate for a second to help. None of those exhausts would look quite right on a rav4. The undercarriage of the rav4 is exposed much more than most cars. There also isn't a cut in the bumper that makes exhausts like these look much better. I woudln't put any of those on a rav4. The s pipe however will need to be bent to fit the rav4 specifically.

Kidong: I understand that having a dual exhaust system as an aftermarket less restrictive muffler woulc cause poor fuel economy, but i hadn't realized that a modified stock muffler would do the same. Can you explain a bit more. What exactly am i risking by putting another pipe on the other side of the oem muffler to create a dual system?

·
Registered
191 Posts
"low risk"

Kidong is right
Lost of back pressure if not done properly
the key words are "done properly"

I feel what you what to do is fine :D Lost of back pressure would be minimal to nil.

I think it's safe to say the OEM exhaust system on the RAV is pretty restrictive and was designed to reduce engine and passenger compartment noise. With the OEM muffler placed 'so far rear' an additional tailpipe will not make that much of a difference performance wise. If you want a free flow muffler. MagnaFlow is pretty good for 4 bangers.

Ravon 8)
(Ray on)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not desparate for performance (okay, i'm lying. But i know this exhaust thing wouldn't give me the punch). I'd like the looks of a dual exhaust but i wouldn't want it at the expense of horrible gas mileage and even worse acceleration. So i guess this mod wouldn't be such a bad idea?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Maybe this would be a great setup!!!

oooops, sorry wrong post ...anyways, will be posting same "Aftermarket exhuast fitment" topic...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey Zoomie, What part of the Bay Area you in :?:

Went down south with a coworker and stopped at the Best Buy in Colma on the way back. Spotted a 4.2 Silver RAV Limited with Dual Exhaust. The same set up as you describe :!: I couldn't resist and crawled under to take a look. :shock: The muffler looked expensive being that it was all chromed out with a mirror finish. The configuration was perfect for the RAV 4.2. One center inlet and two outlets (one on each side) Muffler placement was OEM. I can't recall if I've ever seen one like that? The only draw back was it didn't have mandrel bends. I thought it was kind of odd when the rest of the exhaust system looked expensive. Maybe a DIY job :?:

Anyway, I wanted to take picture's to post, but I had left my camera phone at my office that day. :evil: :twisted:

Bottom line, it look pretty hot. I think your onto something. :wink:

RAVON 8)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damn, so someone's done it already?....and they live near me? ugh. that's not good news. But i'm still excited about it. i'm not too far from colma and have seen rav4's with modified exhaust systems before, but never a dual one.

since you don't have photos, can you describe more in detail how it looked like? i'm curious about it and the guy's not hear on the forum to brag about it (i wish he was so we can learn more about him and his mods).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts