Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got my RAV4 about a month ago and have been through numerous rainstorms since. I have noted that I nearly always need to use my rear wiper. Does anyone with a rear spoiler need to use their wiper in the rain?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't know that the spoiler has anything to do with using your rear wiper. Remember the back of the RAV is practically flat, meaning it pretty much sucks everything behind it, i.e. the water from the road.....

So while a rear spoiler might partially block rain from above, I don't know that it would prevent water from the road from getting to the rear windshield.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Dutchrav said:
...a bit cleaner....
Hmmm, how much would a "bit" be? I guess I'd be curious to know if anyone has had an "actual" before & after spoiler-rain experience.... I'd be happy to know that the rear spoiler actually has a function beside aesthetics....

Cheers!

Philo

·
Registered
197 Posts
Its what i have read about it in a accessoire catalogue.

Edit : My spoiler is going to the painter. In about 2 weeks i can tell the difference.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The spoiler is callled a spoiler because it "spoils" the airflow around the area it is attached to.

I would anticipate that the spoiler would add drag to the top of the car, therefore slowing it down and raising the air pressure above it. Because of the new relative equality of the air pressure, the suction of stuff from the ground would be less than the original balance.

I wasn't thinking that the spoiler would block the rain, but rather deflect airflow to "blow off" the rain.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very good topic.

Just a sidebar to start... Many manufacturers sell rear air deflectors, mounted at the top of the tailgate for their minivans and SUVs, for the purpose of drawing air, rain water, etc. down the tailgate to keep it "cleaner" than without the tailgate.

On the first weekend that I had my spoiler installed, we had a big rainstorm in Vancouver (as we do every other weekend :lol:). I noticed that I had to run my rear wiper more often than before I had my spoiler installed. In effect, it did keep my rear windshield "cleaner" because, instead of being subject to mist that it picks up from other vehicle, it actually deflects fresh rainwater from the roof. Otherwise, the only water that the rear windshield get is dirty mist from other cars.

The dealer actually e-mailed me the week after I had the spoiler to ask me how I "liked" my RAV4 with the spoiler. I commented that, since it deflects rainwater down the tailgate, I noticed that it keeps the tailgate "cleaner" than without the spoiler. The dealer replied saying that keeping the tailgate "cleaner" is a side-effect of having a spoiler.

Initially, I thought the spoiler was merely for cosmetic apperance. However, keeping the rear windshield cleaner before is an added unintended benefit. :)

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vancouver man with the answer! You are the exact person I wanted to reply to this topic. I find that the rainwater on my rear window is filthy and my tailgate and my tire cover.....

Thank you for your reply my question is answered.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
orbitron said:
Vancouver man with the answer! You are the exact person I wanted to reply to this topic. I find that the rainwater on my rear window is filthy and my tailgate and my tire cover.....

Thank you for your reply my question is answered.
I'm glad I could help. 8) To reply to something in your original post... With a genuine Toyota spoiler, you will find yourself using your rear wiper more while driving in the rain. At least I did. Honestly, I barely used my rear wiper before I had my spoiler installed. I only used it in conjunction with the washer, and/or to clear off rain water after a standstill (parking, stopping at a red light, etc.), but barely ever while in motion. I had my RAV4 for about six months before I took the plunge to have the rear spoiler installed.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
interesting topic... thanks for the info guys... think I'll be searching for a rear spoiler now 8)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very interesting topic. I always thought the spoiler was to change the ariflow on the rear of the vehicle. The change in ariflow was to, essentially, help hold the rear end down and gain a tiny bit of traction in wet weather.

I've used my rear wiper matber two or three times in the past year or so, even with the spoiler, Those were generally, as pointed out, to clear rain that blew on while the RAV was parked.

I liked the look of the spoiler, I was not particularly thinking of any other benefits. My second vehicle back, a Chrysler Laser, had a spoiler, and I hated it. After the first year or so, the stupid thing rattled terribly, never could stop the rattle. I was a bit concerned about the RAV doing the same, but, knock on wood, so far, so good.

Best
Ken

·
Registered
132 Posts
EHinthe604 said:
...you will find yourself using your rear wiper more while driving in the rain. At least I did. Honestly, I barely used my rear wiper before I had my spoiler installed. I only used it in conjunction with the washer, and/or to clear off rain water after a standstill (parking, stopping at a red light, etc.), but barely ever while in motion. I had my RAV4 for about six months before I took the plunge to have the rear spoiler installed.
Hmmm, interesting. Without spoiler, less use, but dirtier windshield. With spoiler, more use (more rain water) but cleaner windshield....??

Hey maybe it's only cleaner because it "attracts" more rain water, thus more water to clean off the dirt.... I don't know, maybe someone can do a smoke-wind tunnel simulation...

very interesting....

:D

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Phourwheel said:
Hmmm, interesting. Without spoiler, less use, but dirtier windshield. With spoiler, more use (more rain water) but cleaner windshield....??

Hey maybe it's only cleaner because it "attracts" more rain water, thus more water to clean off the dirt.... I don't know, maybe someone can do a smoke-wind tunnel simulation...

very interesting....

Exactly as you put it... attracting more rain water = more wiper use = generally cleaner rear windshield... but too bad I can't do a wind-tunnel simulation. :)

Actually, upon closer inspection, it seems like the genuine Toyota spoiler on the current-generation 4Runners are shaped in the same manner, and most likely have the same effect on rain water.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the downside is though.. if you are pulling more water onto the back of the vehicle, there could be the chance that moisture is getting into places you don't want it.. and therefore increasing your chances for the Rusties down the road :roll:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bzride said:
the downside is though.. if you are pulling more water onto the back of the vehicle, there could be the chance that moisture is getting into places you don't want it.. and therefore increasing your chances for the Rusties down the road :roll:
Good point... which is why we should go through the trouble of removing the spare tire to wash behind the spare tire hold everytime we wash our RAV4s, spoiler or not.

However, forcing fresh water down the downside of the tailtage may still be better than allowing mud, mist and road salt stagnate in those areas.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have a rear spoiler on mine too...has anybody ever thought of rainwater just dripping off the spoiler onto the window?? thats what i seem to experience.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just rented a 2007 Ford Freestyle on a job in S. Dakota with NO SPOILER in a dusty environment... After only a few miles I could not open the back hatch without getting dirt and dust all over myself and in the car.

Off subject - This vehicle also had the infinite variable ratio trans., I liked it on the great plains S. Dakota interstate, but anyplace else it sucks. No engine braking at all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
EHinthe604 said:
Phourwheel said:

very interesting....

Exactly as you put it... attracting more rain water = more wiper use = generally cleaner rear windshield... but too bad I can't do a wind-tunnel simulation. :)

Actually, upon closer inspection, it seems like the genuine Toyota spoiler on the current-generation 4Runners are shaped in the same manner, and most likely have the same effect on rain water.
The spoiler over the rear window on square shaped vehicles is designed to direct airflow over the rear window to decrease the amount of dust collection on the back of the window. Therefore it also directs more rain water there. This has been used practically since the modern day suv was developed with the originally Jeep Cherokee's and Isuzu Troopers.

It may be possible that the spoiler provides some additional downforce to the rear end of the vehicle, but IF it does, it would only be functional at 70+ mph. On a suv, which isn't designed with high speed performance in mind, I doubt much thought was given to making the rear spoiler provide much effective down force.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today it was raining in North Texas and I drove around without using the rear wiper. It's my first time driving in rain...I mean we been in drought for about 5 months. Same time as when I bought the Rav4. Anyways...um I dindn't use the rear wiper today...and I tought it was ironic I found this post. I mean there was water on the rear window but it was visible...the rain was moderate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts