Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Rav4 Hybrid's electric A/C compressor makes low, steady continuous hum, most noticeable when the engine is off. Turn the A/C off, the hum goes away. I am not sure if this is normal or faulty. It's my first hybrid. While the hum is not loud, it disturbs the quietness in the cabin when the car stopped and irritates the ears. Do you notice this hum with your hybrid or it only happens to mine? It's Summer in Florida; it's tough to turn the A/C off.:smileAny suggestion to reduce the hum? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
My Rav4 Hybrid's electric A/C compressor makes low, steady continuous hum, most noticeable when the engine is off. Turn the A/C off, the hum goes away. I am not sure if this is normal or faulty. It's my first hybrid. While the hum is not loud, it disturbs the quietness in the cabin when the car stopped and irritates the ears. Do you notice this hum with your hybrid or it only happens to mine? It's Summer in Florida; it's tough to turn the A/C off.:smileAny suggestion to reduce the hum? Thanks
Correct it's the compressor running on its electric motor. My Accord hybrid does the same thing except it's hardly noticeable over the blower. Solution, turn the radio up or the windows down.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The A/C compressor is variable speed electric. How loud it is depends on the cooling demand. It also has to run the radiator fans.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine does the same annoying sound. I can hear it when I am stopped and the ICE is off.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Off course it makes sound, it's a compressor.

Buy a car with beltdriven compressor on ICE and see if that is more quiet....

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Off course it makes sound, it's a compressor.

Buy a car with beltdriven compressor on ICE and see if that is more quiet....
Good answer. Just what I was thinking. You can’t hear the Ac on a non hybrid car because the engine is alway running and over powering its noise. The slight sound of the Ac running and no engine is far far quieter than an engine powering the Ac all the time. Either turn your Ac off, or buy a non hybrid car that is louder to drown out the quiet sound of the Ac. :confused:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same problem. It started last November when I had ~3,500km. I visited my dealership and the technician told me it was ok. I accepted the hum, however I can (and could) hear it even when the AC is off. After six months, I started noticing additional noise when I turn on AC (~17,500km). After I drive more than 100km, I can clearly hear it and it's quite loud. Going to visit my deaf and blind dealership again to acknowledge the problem.

The link is attached in the "Reason for Editing"

RAV4 Hybrid XLE
~20,000km
One year old

1 - 7 of 7 Posts