Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2005 RAV4 v6 awd and a 12' tent trailer with electric brakes and a 7 pin connector.
Has anyone installed a connector, and how difficult is it?
Thanks?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Subscribed. Need to get my 7 pin connector and brake controller hooked up too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, apologies to all...I am a newby on this site. I searched the forum using the keywords trailer brake connector, and there's a ton of posts, of course!
All helpful.

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
The V-6 did not come about until 2006, your's cannot be an '05 model. Moved to 4.3 area.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A trailer brake controller will come with instructions. It will have positive power, ground, a wire to tie into the brake light switch (to send the signal to activate the trailer brakes), and the output wire to the trailer connector socket. On the trailer socket you will have the usual tail light, left turn/brake light, and right turn/brake light wires, a ground wire (larger guage i believe), the input from the brake controller to activate the trailer brakes, a 12 volt constant power (connected to the tow vehicle battery with a fuse or circuit breaker), and an extra wire that can be backup lights or another 12 volt power. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much.. That is helpful! When we bought this, the seller left all sorts of stuff in the 'basement ' compartment in the rav. He had previously towed a boat, so there's a curt hitch already installed. There's a bag of wiring and electrical stuff that I can now go through and see if there's anything usable, but I will probably take it to a shop to get it done properly.
Thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
A trailer brake controller will come with instructions. It will have positive power, ground, a wire to tie into the brake light switch (to send the signal to activate the trailer brakes), and the output wire to the trailer connector socket. On the trailer socket you will have the usual tail light, left turn/brake light, and right turn/brake light wires, a ground wire (larger guage i believe), the input from the brake controller to activate the trailer brakes, a 12 volt constant power (connected to the tow vehicle battery with a fuse or circuit breaker), and an extra wire that can be backup lights or another 12 volt power. I hope this helps.
Thanks, you saved me typing all this correct info!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your welcome. I used to work for U-Haul and have installed some brake controllers but it has been a very long time ago. As with any wiring project use the grommets when going through metal and when you route the power wire(s) keep them away from hot or moving parts(exhaust shields/pipes/muffler, drive train, axles).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the round 7 pin connector on the trailer...looking on Amazon, I haven't found anything for the tow vehicle end that looks anything like it, or am I being completely dense?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
I've set up a lot of vehicles for towing and have never seen an electric brake trailer equipped with the round-pin type connector. Always the flat type. Too bad since, IMO the round pins would make a much more secure & reliable connection. Any RV or auto parts store has them.
Found this combo one on walmart.com Hopkins 7-Round Multi-Tow Trailer Wiring - Walmart.com
What I'll be interested in Bigtoy is what brake controller they want to sell you. I only use Tekonsha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts