Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
Good to hear it was just lack of fuel keeping it from starting. I don't understand how your trouble light illuminated either. Maybe a coincidence. I was going to suggest disconnecting power from the battery to try and reset the computer. But low fuel level is easier 馃榾
I'm in the same boat as SoNic67....never go under 1/4 tank.

Super Moderator
Well, It seems being low on gas, and parked on an incline is enough to keep the fuel pump from picking up gas. I put two gallons in the tank and it started right up. The ESP warning light went out as well. I would like to know how a car that thinks it's out of gas triggers an EPS warning.
We've seen weirder things like a defective O2 sensor setting 4WD, ABS etc. error lights. It's almost like they trigger each other, or in this case one you'd think is totally unrelated.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Maybe now you'll join me in the paranoid group that doesn't like the tank less that a quarter full ;)
People that live and park in flat land areas might tell you otherwise, but that's just their limited experience....
Don't know if I am ready to join a paranoid group and wear a tin foil hat, but I will agree with you that filling up a the quarter tank level is a good idea. This incident does provide a little more incentive to do so!

Registered
I was joking of course.
In my experience with used cars, keeping the tank from going empty helps with fuel pump cooling, lower the suction vacuum...
I nave had a pump fail by keeping that rule.
I have friends that go empty and they had to replace the fuel pumps. Sure not on the RAV4's, but I think that keeping a tank full (or 1/2 full) is a small price to pay for my peace of mind.

Also, I don't click the dispenser handle incessantly when the tank fills up. That can push gasoline in the charcoal canister.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts