Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im the new owner of a 2019 XSE (15k miles) and i’ve the car for about two months.
About a week ago I started noticing a super rough transition from Electeic to Gas mode... it happens with I’m in park and the car is either sitting idle or i start to reverse/drive (slowly). The issue happens sporadically and its a little concerning considering how new it is. The dealership checked for issues and there are no service bulletins out there. They did say they tested the same model and that car has the same issue (not sure how true that is). Im pretty disappointed about this. Does anyone else experience this? What could this be?

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,185 Posts
Temperatures where you live? Do you know the car's history? (Ask the dealer to look by VIN and see if there were prior complaints.) What mode (sport, normal, eco) are you in when this happens? Is the car fully warmed up when this happens?

I have a 2019 Limited (Canada built mid 2019). I had a Prius before so when I got the Rav4h I was used to a slight shift but it is so slight it is not something I'm ever conscious of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So i dont believe there were any complaints in the past but i did reach out to the previous owner and im waiting on a response. Its pretty cold right now, about 35 degrees in CT. The car is fully warmed up and its in normal mode.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid Limited
831 Posts
have you had a hybrid before? When in quiet conditions, like you describe, the gas engine kicking in can be noticeable, especially in cold/cool weather. If you don't notice it when driving down the road when going in and out of EV (such as when slowing down, then speeding up), it is probably normal.

That said, I might think differently if I actually heard it. Do you know anyone else who has a Rav4 hybrid or would your dealer let you compare it to one of theirs?

You might find it worthwhile to get an OBDII bluetooth adapter that plugs into the diagnostic port under the dash. That can send info to a smart phone app like Hybrid Assistant (android only) and tell you a lot about how your vehicle is operating. This apps can also tell you if any fault codes are showing up. A good adapter is about $50 on Amazon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have you had a hybrid before? When in quiet conditions, like you describe, the gas engine kicking in can be noticeable, especially in cold/cool weather. If you don't notice it when driving down the road when going in and out of EV (such as when slowing down, then speeding up), it is probably normal.

That said, I might think differently if I actually heard it. Do you know anyone else who has a Rav4 hybrid or would your dealer let you compare it to one of theirs?

You might find it worthwhile to get an OBDII bluetooth adapter that plugs into the diagnostic port under the dash. That can send info to a smart phone app like Hybrid Assistant (android only) and tell you a lot about how your vehicle is operating. This apps can also tell you if any fault codes are showing up. A good adapter is about $50 on Amazon.
This is my first hybrid (and first SUV) and i dont notice it driving around, the car itself drives pretty well actually. And funny everyone is mentioning the cold weather, i did not notice this until the temperature started to get below 40. The dealership said that the same model came in yesterday and they tested both of our XSE’s and there were no differences in how the cars should be running. Im waiting for my fuel tank parts to come in and when i have that issue fixed Toyota said they would take a deeper look into the issue... stating that the fuel tank could be the reason im feeling a rough transition. I find that a bit hard to believe though.

I’m curious to see how Toyota will handle this. Especially if they cant diagnose the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.