Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Electric Windows ceased functioning on driver's side -- HELP!

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  alyncurtis 
#1 ·
First: The left rear window refused to go down -- figuring it needed a new motor (rather, rebuilt one from O'Reily's after I found out what Toyota charged), so I took the inner door panel off and removed the motor and actuator -- jumped the motor to the 12 volt battery on my lawn mower that was nearby and the motor worked fine -- replaced the motor and actuator and door panel and all worked great until today when it refused to again roll down at the same time that the front electric driver's window developed an issue. It acts like the motor is dead but I know it is working fine.

Second: The driver's window now refused to roll down (has been an intermittent issue over the years but in recent years worked OK) -- took the inner door trim off and unbolted the motor and actuator but could not get them out -- so out of curiosity, I again plugged in the motor to 12 volts and it worked fine, so remounted the actuator and motor, plugged it into its harness on the RAV4 and up it went and then down it went. It now goes up, appears to hit some sort of upper limit and goes down 2/3's of the way and will then go all the way down if I want. Each time I hit the auto up, it goes up and then 2/3's of the way down.

Since this is a 2001, if I take it to a dealer, the cost will be horrendous compared to the worth of the vehicle -- do any of you have any suggestions as to what I might try in either case described above -- is there an adjustment for the front window that keeps it from thinking it is going up against something like an arm and is there some sort of adjustment for the rear window that just seems to be stuck -- the motors and actuators are both good.

HELP!!! :shrug:

MikeSp

See less See more
#2 ·
Since this is a 2001, if I take it to a dealer, the cost will be horrendous compared to the worth of the vehicle -- do any of you have any suggestions as to what I might try in either case described above -- is there an adjustment for the front window that keeps it from thinking it is going up against something like an arm and is there some sort of adjustment for the rear window that just seems to be stuck -- the motors and actuators are both good.
I don't know about the 2001, but the 2006-2012 driver's side window has an auto up and down feature. When power is interrupted, you must re-initialize the motor by lowering the window all the way down, holding the button down for 2 seconds, then raising the window all the way up, and again hold the button for 2 seconds. This procedure is in the owner's manual.

#3 ·
Regretfully that did not work but your idea was excellent. I will see if I can worm out of the dealer's service dept. what it is that actually controls the limit up of the window in this series 2 RAV4, but due to past experience, I expect the service manager to say to bring it in and let them look at it -- a new window motor from Toyota is about $300 and a rebuilt one from O'Reilly's is $129.

Thanks!!!

MikeSp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.