Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, but been browsing quite a bit so recently registered. I bought a 2008 rav4 4cyl model...am happy with it so far. It was a basic model, so immediately after getting it, I added a few things...not sure if my problem is related to my work. Here's what I did:

1. Installed an Android stereo/nav unit.
  2. Installed rear cam connected to backup light for power.
  3. Installed a VHF ham radio.
  4. Put in keyless entry, can't believe it didn't have it already.
  5. Dash cam, USB connection for power.
Seems problem happened after installing keyless entry (could be wrong), both it and the ham radio are connected directly to the battery with fuses on both hot and ground. Engine light comes on at random when a default ECM code according to Autozone. If I pull the fuses to the ham/keyless, and start the engine, turn it off and replace the fuses, the engine light turns off for a while. I'll likely be separating them into 2 separate hot wires going to the battery...not sure how that would be related though. Will need to find a better way through the firewall to do this, however.

I have to admit an error on my part that may or may not be related. While connecting the ham, I had the front center cig lighter panel exposed and accidentally shorted the lighter, it hasn't worked since but the other power outlets work fine...I would like to fix it though. Have not checked fuse yet because I'm not sure which one and it's a tight fit for me to test them all. A wiring diagram for power outlets in the cab would be very helpful if I could find one, maybe to at least show me what's on that circuit. I hope the short didn't do any major damage. Not 100% certain engine/VSC lights issue is related to my wiring, could have existed as I've only had the car about a week....but my gut tells me it's something I did wrong.

Anyway, any insight, diagrams, etc. into this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank in advance.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Every RAV4 sold since 2006 in N. America came standard with keyless entry. If you've added a second keyless entry system, that could cause problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts