Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have a 2007 Base Rav4 2.4L 4 cycle. Today I was driving it and I put on the gas to accelerate while getting on the freeway. The battery light flashed quickly then all dash lights came on. The car lost power steering and the speedometer fell to zero (Even though I was easily going 60 MPH.) When I pulled off to the side of the road I cut the engine off. I then started the car back up. I now had power steering and all lights went away except for the Check Engine light, the VSC Light, and the 4 Wheel Drive light.

I took the car to AutoZone and had them test the Battery and Alternator, which they said were both fine. I checked the battery charge with the car running and it had 14.45 Volts, which indicates a working alternator.
AutoZone's check engine light scan said there was an issue with the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)

I've read multiple places that other people having this issue resolved it by replacing the Battery and or the Alternator. Can anyone help enlighten me on this? I really don't wish to take the car to the mechanic and shell out $1,000 for them to replace a Speed Sensor when that isn't really the issue.

As an aside, we replaced the battery in the car about a year ago. I noticed that after we replaced the battery (24F) that the car started to rumble harshly when idling... Almost as if it's trying to die, but never does. Not sure if this is related but any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Did Autozone reset the Check Engine Light?. If they didn't they should have. After the light is/was reset did it come back on?. If the light returns then address the VSS problem. Although I'm not aware that a VSS problem would kill the engine.

If the light remains off, then I suspect the VSS warning was just a side effect of the engine stalling. I suspect your problem is related to the battery.

Possibly the battery is weak, You need to perform a load test to determine this. Perhaps you turned the wheels sharply just before accelerating and the extra current consumed by the electric power steering overtaxed the battery.

Or you might have a loose connection on the battery post (or the battery itself is not clamped tightly in the tray) and the extra G forces during merging caused the circuit to momentarily open up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts