Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
Interesting! I didn't know the noise was from the input bearing itself. I thought it was from the complex internal guts. How did you figure that out or did you just give replacing it a try?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flaw in their design the front bearing is a large roller bearing once the seal dries out it takes on dirt and its downhill from there. Easy to here and is noisy at all times

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
Flaw in their design the front bearing is a large roller bearing once the seal dries out it takes on dirt and its downhill from there. Easy to here and is noisy at all times
Nicely done! Did you find a better bearing to use as a replacement?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bearing is proprietary for Toyota even the manufacturer of the bearing skf will not sell it to you and Toyota doesn't list or sell it

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
The bearing is proprietary for Toyota even the manufacturer of the bearing skf will not sell it to you and Toyota doesn't list or sell it
Yeah, so how did you get one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found it on amazon . Com out of Florida 18$ but an extra 15 to ship to canada. Did find the bearing in canada on amazon .ca but were sold out. You get 2bearings ,the large front one and the smaller one for the differential with a a seal but you will only need the large bearing will try to post a picture of the kit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just a follow-up to this thread. These bearings are still available online if you search the p/n listed in the thumbs. According to another website, these are used on the Toyota Avensis which is sold in Europe. That's why its a German company making these bearings. I talked to a local shop and they seem willing to give this a go. Now that I have "official" p/n's I will talk to them to get the go ahead. When I do, I will post back here with the results. Might be a little bit of time since I owed some taxes this year. Once I save up the money I'll repost. Thanks for the info Redrock. I've had all the known issues with these vehicles since I bought it used. Unfortunately its a 2007 so out of the extended warranty period and I didn't know anything about it until it was too late. Bummer.

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's the one, also on amazon if you prefer. From talking with a few techs, the repair would be quite simple for a properly equipped shop. Estimate between 1/2 and 1 hour of labor. Going to schedule this very soon after I order the part. Will let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's the one, also on amazon if you prefer. From talking with a few techs, the repair would be quite simple for a properly equipped shop. Estimate between 1/2 and 1 hour of labor. Going to schedule this very soon after I order the part. Will let everyone know how it goes.

I would be interested in finding out how you made out with this repair. I may soon be a candidate this repair, as my extended warranty period expired in February of this year.
I recently started hearing a whine between 35-45mph on my 2009 Rav with 88,000 miles on it. Don't hear the whine over 50mph but it may be masked by wind\road noise at this speed. Is this whine just a nuisance or is it indicative of an impending mechanical failure. Does complete failure of this bearing present any safety issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any experiences about this repair? Has it worked fine? I bought new JDM OEM TOYOTA Genuine RAV4 Rear Axle Differential Coupling 41303-42023 EMS little over a year ago and now it is keeping that same noise again. It gets also warm from that front bearing area so i think that is the problem. Not interested to buy whole coupler again...

So i need some special tools for taking that bearing out and back in, but is it difficult to have that bearing in sight? If i remember right you dont see that bearing after you take that differential couplin out from the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Repair Rear Differential Noise Pontiac Vibe / Toyota Matrix AWD

copy paste that to youtube

I found this video from youtube. Is the procedure same with rav4?

·
Registered
156 Posts
If anyone could post more pictures on repairing this part ( since it is getting more and more common on this forum), it is really helpful for readers including myself which have the noise and I am looking to pucrhase the part, it is not available on amazon in Canada. looks the part is getting more expensive and hard to find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been trying to figure this out myself. We have a 2009 so I'm not sure whether it has the narrower large diameter front bearing or not. For 2006-08, the kit is still readily available on amazon, but since I've never posted I can't put the link in here. Search for KIT-ST215.

If it does have the narrower bearing, it can be bought for a much higher cost. The part number is NSK 6819-2RS according to some research I've done.

Anther option, if we're going to go through the trouble of removing the coupling and taking it apart, is to just replace the entire part. Instead of paying the dealer $2000 installed, the part can be bought online for $1000 and changed in a couple hours. I just don't know if that's worth it, since ours has 156K on it. The part number is 41303-42023, and it is sold by many Toyota dealers online for $960-980.

If I tackle this, I will take pictures.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I need help to verify the correct part number, I have a Rav4 2006 (4Cyl) Made in Japan, So Part Number: 90363-95003 Is the right part number for Front Coupler (Viscous coupler).... There is another Kit I see online, which is KIT-ST215 ., Is that same? Can I purchase this for my rav4 ? Thanks

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
About this Discussion
88 Replies
30 Participants
Nikh23
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing