Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,415 Posts
Is this a completely separate issue to the common transmission whine? It appears my 2011 is still under a extended warranty through Toyota for this rear diff but they said it was my transmission. Any easy way to tell which drivetrain issue is which? My noise I can hear quietly even from start and then it gets far more noticeable around 38mph up to 60mph then I think wind/ road noise hides it. It sounds like a quieter 4x4 4LOW sound.
I've never heard the coupler noise because my RAV4 V6 is FWD. But I'm very familiar with the transmission whine. At 40 mph it was very noticeable, but when I took my foot off of the accelerator pedal, it would go away. Get back on the accelerator to maintain speed, and it would come back. Mine started doing it around 19K miles. The dealership replaced the transmission with the new "H" version, and with 64K miles now the noise has never come back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hopefully this thread stays active as long as the 2006-2012 Rav4s keep plugging along...

I have a 2007 V6 4WD with 192K miles that has had the viscous coupling whine for more than 50,000 miles, along with leaky rear axle seals (per my local dealership), and its slowly getting worse. I am trying to find a local mechanic willing to tackle the bearing replacement. If not, would any reasonable person consider the ~$2300 dealership fix for a car that is in good shape overall but with so many miles? Talking out loud here...

Would viscous coupling failure be catastrophic/dangerous on the road?

Love driving this car more now than ever but facing some tough decisions.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So I thought my read end was totally gone and then I found this thread. Turns out I'm in the same boat where the bearing on the viscous coupler is COMPLETELY gone - see the pic!!

Trying to source the bearing now as well as a new fill/drain plug. Managed to completely strip the fill plug (my Rav is quite crusty) but was able to loosen the drain plug. Hoping I can use an air chisel to get the fill plug off because the damn engineers didn't give you a lot of room to work with that's for sure.

Wish me luck

·
Registered
88 Posts
Called 2 local dealers and both had the same prices for the part (which is ridiculous IMO)...

9036395007 - $84 Bearing on the front of the viscous coupler (99% of the time this is the culprit).
9036365004 - $47 Bearing on the rear of the viscous coupler (if you're in there, might as well replace it)

Thats in CAD but still insane to pay $84 for a bearing lol.. which leads me to the next part... if you can, get the Febest KIT-ST215.

This shows out of stock for me on both eBay and Amazon, and the only place I can get it is directly from the manufacturer in Estonia which comes to a total of $87 CAD (including taxes/shipping).

Someone mentioned this video earlier in this thread but didn't link it... anyway - this is exactly the procedure you'll need to follow... Eric O from South Main Auto - fantastic YouTube channel:

Heres hoping my coupler housing isn't in too rough of shape... my bearing is TOAST.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, this must be the early days of Eric at SMA. His channel has gotten so much better; he is a very funny guy and keeps the language clean. If it were someone else hammering in the bearings I would question whether that's the right way to go. After watching hours of his videos I have total trust in his methods. He operates out of a small town with many long time customers. He repairs everything as if it's his own vehicle; I wish he lived in my town.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow, this must be the early days of Eric at SMA. His channel has gotten so much better; he is a very funny guy and keeps the language clean. If it were someone else hammering in the bearings I would question whether that's the right way to go. After watching hours of his videos I have total trust in his methods. He operates out of a small town with many long time customers. He repairs everything as if it's his own vehicle; I wish he lived in my town.
agreed, seems to be a very good guy. I watch alot of his stuff. I do pretty much all my own work anyways, but I do luckily have a guy similar to him when its something I am just not equipped to do (like set up pinion depth on a rear) or say like if my parents need work done in a pinch and I just cannot get to it, he always takes care of them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Staax.

I have been combing through my comments on my other thread and checked out this one too.

You can purchase the bearing kit here -> https://partsouq.com/es/search/all?q=KITST215 It's 44$ shipped to the US.

Called 2 local dealers and both had the same prices for the part (which is ridiculous IMO)...

9036395007 - $84 Bearing on the front of the viscous coupler (99% of the time this is the culprit).
9036365004 - $47 Bearing on the rear of the viscous coupler (if you're in there, might as well replace it)

Thats in CAD but still insane to pay $84 for a bearing lol.. which leads me to the next part... if you can, get the Febest KIT-ST215.

This shows out of stock for me on both eBay and Amazon, and the only place I can get it is directly from the manufacturer in Estonia which comes to a total of $87 CAD (including taxes/shipping).

Someone mentioned this video earlier in this thread but didn't link it... anyway - this is exactly the procedure you'll need to follow... Eric O from South Main Auto - fantastic YouTube channel:

Heres hoping my coupler housing isn't in too rough of shape... my bearing is TOAST.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same here, had to TORCH the drain plug, and use a rubber stopper + filler. (Cut a hole in the rubber stopper and run a plastic tube through it)

Hope it went well. New bearing can be found here for you! https://partsouq.com/es/search/all?q=KITST215

So I thought my read end was totally gone and then I found this thread. Turns out I'm in the same boat where the bearing on the viscous coupler is COMPLETELY gone - see the pic!!

Trying to source the bearing now as well as a new fill/drain plug. Managed to completely strip the fill plug (my Rav is quite crusty) but was able to loosen the drain plug. Hoping I can use an air chisel to get the fill plug off because the damn engineers didn't give you a lot of room to work with that's for sure.

Wish me luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Staax.

I have been combing through my comments on my other thread and checked out this one too.

You can purchase the bearing kit here -> https://partsouq.com/es/search/all?q=KITST215 It's 44$ shipped to the US.
Did anyone tried ordering from them? there's one in ebay from Quebec, Canada but it's too pricey compared to febest kit.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bearing-deflector-Toyota-Venza-coupling-4130368011-4130368010-4130368013/263537754334?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=20180124153937&meid=548369ebd85241f4a23fcb9e9f225748&pid=100623&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=173195993176&itm=263537754334&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey Staax.

Appreciate the comment. I found that link too but honestly hadn't heard of Partsouq before... I ended up biting the bullet and bought directly from Febest... Shipped from EU and surprisingly was here in a week.

The new bearing is in and everything is together except the driveshaft is still out. I ran out of time the day I set aside to do the job but I too had to use the rubber stopper method :p

Plan on finishing everything up this Sunday but I'm hopeful it'll go well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Appreciate the comment. I found that link too but honestly hadn't heard of Partsouq before... I ended up biting the bullet and bought directly from Febest... Shipped from EU and surprisingly was here in a week.

The new bearing is in and everything is together except the driveshaft is still out. I ran out of time the day I set aside to do the job but I too had to use the rubber stopper method :p

Plan on finishing everything up this Sunday but I'm hopeful it'll go well.
@staax , sir if you don't mind...which febest website did you order? coz in febest.com it says out of stock. thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
@staax , sir if you don't mind...which febest website did you order? coz in febest.com it says out of stock. thanks
Directly from their EU store here:

Their .com store was out of stock for me too.

Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just want to clarify.. for 2009 RAV 4 owners, the front bearing is "narrower" to a NSK 6819-2RS.. so the Febest Kit-ST215 will not work?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Out of stock already.. guess Ill have to order the bearings separate and somehow find dust shield P/N.

Have you tried here?

41 - 60 of 87 Posts
About this Discussion
86 Replies
29 Participants
atoyot
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing