Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Toyota issued an extension warranty to have the rear diff coupling fixed. I just found out about this yesterday when my mechanic noticed mine was leaking. Never got anything in the mail from Toyota about this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Toyota issued an extension warranty to have the rear diff coupling fixed. I just found out about this yesterday when my mechanic noticed mine was leaking. Never got anything in the mail from Toyota about this.
I ask the toyota adviser last month any warranty about this and he answered no with a little laugh. I live in Ontario, Canada I don’t if warranty varies in region. Just replaced mine 2 days ago it involves a lot of tapping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Question for you guys. I've been hearing the jet noise for quite some time on my 07 LTD. Brought it to the mech, they said it was a failing bearing in the rear. Well it was too it was much louder than the jet noise. I still have the jet noise and I'm leaning towards the topic of this thread. So my question is, if it is the bearings in the coupler, I take it the coupler spins all the time even when the rear is not engaged?

·
Super Moderator
9,039 Posts
The rear drive actually engages every time you start off. One diagnostic that's easy to run is disconnecting the connector from the 4WD ECU behind the glove box. Then driving down the road everything in the rear will still be turning but not under power. With the car on jack stands only the front wheels will turn. You may be able to make a judgement based on the changes in sound.

·
Super Moderator
9,039 Posts
I'd test it first before trying to figure out every possibility.

·
Registered
9 Posts
update: I ordered the FITBEST ST 215 kit from Australia. Received and went to local garage in Ottawa. They never heard of replacing the bearings so they referred me to BN transmission on Glendale in Ottawa. They knew exactly what I was talking about and replaced my bearings. The ST-215 kit had the incorrect oil seal so that cost me $15 extra from dealer. Total bill was $488. 3.5 hours labour, oil seal, oil, taxes.

I asked the mechanic.. " how long will this last?" ..... reply ......"6 to 12 months"o_O...

·
Registered
12 Posts
update: I ordered the FITBEST ST 215 kit from Australia. Received and went to local garage in Ottawa. They never heard of replacing the bearings so they referred me to BN transmission on Glendale in Ottawa. They knew exactly what I was talking about and replaced my bearings. The ST-215 kit had the incorrect oil seal so that cost me $15 extra from dealer. Total bill was $488. 3.5 hours labour, oil seal, oil, taxes.

I asked the mechanic.. " how long will this last?" ..... reply ......"6 to 12 months"o_O...
My local mech, in Ottawa quoted me 2 hours of labour. Plus the part order from Febest EU is about 89$. I think it was about 360 ish. Plus we'll do a rear dif oil change but I have the oil. 6-12 months seems quite low. but for me that's ok because we put maybe 6k kms on the rav a year. It would be interesting for us to meet up and for you to ride in mine and see if its the same noise you were having.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My local mech, in Ottawa quoted me 2 hours of labour. Plus the part order from Febest EU is about 89$. I think it was about 360 ish. Plus we'll do a rear dif oil change but I have the oil. 6-12 months seems quite low. but for me that's ok because we put maybe 6k kms on the rav a year. It would be interesting for us to meet up and for you to ride in mine and see if its the same noise you were having.
I suspect that I was charged the time for the test drives? perhaps. ... My rav actually had two noises... 1. the whine/hum of the coupler. 2 an occassional rattle or fluttering from under the car. The rattle is ALMOST all gone. On my drive to work I heard it twice for only about 1/4to1/2 second each time. That is A LOT less than from before the replacement. That tells me that the rattle is likely at least affected by the coupler. What I suspect is that the u-joints are perhaps wearing out and "could" be impacting the coupler issue. If you think about it, the ujoint being slightly wore will put stress on the coupler bearing and vice versa. anyone else have that issue?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Interesting thread. Anybody else have any success with extended coverage of this malfunction? Mine's an '09 with about 170K on the odo.

Also, how does one determine the MONTH of manufacture, as it's said here that the coupler bearing changes part number in August of 2009?

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi you can do a VIN check and it provides you with the date the car was first put into service.
My car is a 2009 V6 LTD and has always been regularly serviced at the local dealership by the original owner.I am the new second owner and went into the dealership yesyerday to change all fluids (engine oil/filter, transmission drain and fill and differential drain and fill), the car had no noise whatsoever prior to the service but developed a whine right after i took delivery from the dealer after the above service. I went back to the dealership to check if there maybe some issues with the differential service as the whine appeared to be coming from the differential area. The dealership had also not noted the whine during their check drive yesterday. I was told after checking that the rear differential coupling needs to be replaced at a cost of $2000 as the vehicle is not under warranty and this has nothing to do with the differential service they performed( though how the whine suddenly appeared right after the service). Another customer at the dealership advised me that this is a known issue and to check the internet.I then went on the internet and discovered this site and related information. The dealership was not interested at all in supporting my claim for what is a known manufacturing defect as the vehicle is beyond the 9 year extended warranty😥
Anyways thanks to your site I have placed an order for the Febtest ST 215 kit.
Will update all when I receive the kit and how it is installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got my Febest ST-215 kit by DHL. Grateful if someone can advise shops ( other than dealers) that can perform this repair in Totonto GTA.
Look forward to recommendations.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts
About this Discussion
86 Replies
29 Participants
atoyot
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing