Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else experiencing their electronic parking brake being noisy when engaging?
Mine make a rather loud noise.

·
Super Moderator
11,411 Posts
I never hear mine because I never use it since it shifts to Park (the parking pawl) automatically. Is there a reason you're using yours?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Serious question here, I’m simply curious and not trying to start a war.
Why do you (anyone) not use the park brake? It seems to me that in North America, most people just put the transmission in park and leave the park brake off. I would have thought the parking pawl wouldn’t be too reliable to hold a heavy vehicle on a hill and you’d want the park brake to take the vehicles weight instead.
In Australia it’s normal practice to stop with the foot brake, put the car in park and let the foot brake off only after engaging the park brake. This means the parking pawl has virtually no load on it and the actual brakes are holding the car.
I know in cold climates you don’t want your brakes to freeze, but no idea otherwise.
Please enlighten me!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Serious question here, I’m simply curious and not trying to start a war.
Why do you (anyone) not use the park brake? It seems to me that in North America, most people just put the transmission in park and leave the park brake off. I would have thought the parking pawl wouldn’t be too reliable to hold a heavy vehicle on a hill and you’d want the park brake to take the vehicles weight instead.
In Australia it’s normal practice to stop with the foot brake, put the car in park and let the foot brake off only after engaging the park brake. This means the parking pawl has virtually no load on it and the actual brakes are holding the car.
I know in cold climates you don’t want your brakes to freeze, but no idea otherwise.
Please enlighten me!
I always use the parking brake, even when it is not automatic.
Every car I have ever car I have always used it.
But then again I always use my turn signal too, which is rather rare.😃
I am just trying to determine if it is supposed to be loud while engaging.

·
Registered
474 Posts
For many years never used a parking brake with auto transmission, not to many hills on the prairies. New 2021 parking brake sets automatically haven't figured how to disengage yet. Manuel always set the parking brake,

·
Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 🇯🇵
2,557 Posts
I always use PB (throwback from manual days). Also while the Parking pawl might be designed to "hold" the car Id rather have the car weight on something that would be easier to fix; especially when on inclines. I put the PB on and then put in Park on all my vehicles.

While we have snow here time to time during the winter season I have never had a PB freeze up. So I am fortunate. Now on my 95 Probe I had to make sure the lights were up because those DID freeze shut! :D

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid LE
108 Posts
Putting the transmission in park after the parking brake has taken the load is the indeed proper way to do it. It also checks that it has been set with enough pressure. I think most people just don't know any better or are lazy. I used to be baffled at all the people who left their manual in 1st gear or reverse without the parking brake. A sure way to get a loose shifter over time from what I heard. There are also plenty of people who don't know which way to turn their wheels when parked uphill on the street.

It's fine in cold climates by the way, I always use mine and have never had any issue on any vehicle. I think not using it is just as likely to cause it to fail. As for "but flat terrain!!", just the other month I saw a car in the parking lot which had rolled out of its parking spot. And yes, the parking was "flat". But they're never perfectly flat because they're built so the water will drain.

As for the original question: mine makes a fairly loud gear/motor noise too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
OP, you will get used to it. You can turn the auto engage feature off apparently.
Yup PB work fine in the winter but in the north rust belt if you never use your PB, don't just start using it on an older vehicle. More often than not they will seize on from all of the time the rust accumulated over the years.
I have always used my PB but that was ingrained in me from driving manual years ago. I bumped the shifter our of gear once getting out of the car with groceries in my hands. I jumped back in and sat on a pound of warm summer temperture butter only to smeared it accross the seat. That was fun.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 🇯🇵
2,557 Posts
I have always used my PB but that was ingrained in me from driving manual years ago. I bumped the shifter our of gear once getting out of the car with groceries in my hands. I jumped back in and sat on a pound of warm summer temperature butter only to smeared it across the seat. That was fun.
I could not help but laugh out loud on this. Thanks for the chuckle! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always use the parking brake, even when it is not automatic.
Every car I have ever car I have always used it.
But then again I always use my turn signal too, which is rather rare.😃
I am just trying to determine if it is supposed to be loud while engaging.
I work at Lexus and yes it is noisy. It makes an electronic sound but shouldn't be grinding or anything.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
671 Posts
Putting the transmission in park after the parking brake has taken the load is the indeed proper way to do it. It also checks that it has been set with enough pressure. I think most people just don't know any better or are lazy. I used to be baffled at all the people who left their manual in 1st gear or reverse without the parking brake. A sure way to get a loose shifter over time from what I heard. There are also plenty of people who don't know which way to turn their wheels when parked uphill on the street.

It's fine in cold climates by the way, I always use mine and have never had any issue on any vehicle. I think not using it is just as likely to cause it to fail. As for "but flat terrain!!", just the other month I saw a car in the parking lot which had rolled out of its parking spot. And yes, the parking was "flat". But they're never perfectly flat because they're built so the water will drain.

As for the original question: mine makes a fairly loud gear/motor noise too.
Only vehicle I owned that regularly froze the parking brake was an '84 Ford Bronco II when the temperature got to about 20F.

·
Registered
36 Posts
thanks everyone, sounds like the norm is to actually use the park brake.
mine makes noise but nothing major, it’s an electric motor in each side winding a piston out so a whirring noise is normal.

·
Registered
2021 XLE Premium Hybrid + JBL
153 Posts
It is quite audible on mine, not sure I'd say noisy, but fairly loud. I've disabled automatic activation, since I'm sometimes in scenarios where I'm shifting in and out of park often. When on hills, I do engage the parking brake, but most parking around here is flat. The parking "pawl" is beefy, but still, IMHO, it's best to use the PB on hills. I recommended to my daughter, living in SLC, to always use the electric PB on her new (used) CVT Subie when on hills, there are a lot of them out there, and steep! She previously had a manual Subie, so is already in the habit.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Even though I have left mine on automatic mode, if I'm parking on a hill, I will put it in Neutral first, manually set the parking brake, release the brake pedal so the car is resting on the brake and I'm sure the brake is holding the weight of the car, then I put it in Park. Any other time, I just let it do it's own thing. Peace of mind and also coming from manual transmission, more of a habit. Also with manual transmission, back in the day of having distributors, if you left it in 1st or reverse and someone bump the car enough to move it, your distributor could actually take the brunt and change your timing since the engine would be rotated in the opposite direct and the distributor gear would not move causing the housing to move. Parking brake can be a savior in areas not related to parking on hills.

Reactions: Colonel

·
Registered
2021 hybrid limited, blizzard pearl, advanced technology and weather packages
6 Posts
My parking brake makes a lot of noise too when it engages and disengages

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also with manual transmission, back in the day of having distributors, if you left it in 1st or reverse and someone bump the car enough to move it, your distributor could actually take the brunt and change your timing since the engine would be rotated in the opposite direct and the distributor gear would not move causing the housing to move.
??? Distributors had a gear on their assembly that meshed with a gear on the camshaft. If the engine ran in reverse for whatever reason, like a partial start etc. the distributor was free to move in reverse. There was never that much mechanical friction inside the distributor, so I am not sure what you are referring to, unless the distributor housing clamp bolt was not properly tightened.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts