Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have never noticed any noise coming from my rear brakes engaging & disengaging, perhaps it's still new with only 8,000 km on the clock. It that or I am so use to tuning out background noise, like when the wife is speaking to me when I am trying to watch the hockey playoffs. Unless she's dancing naked around the kitchen leave me alone.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid LE
284 Posts
Yes its noisy. My hybrid makes lots of noises when starting and shutting down that no car I have ever had made. Lots of electronics. Like the poster above says, like your wife, you eventually just tune out the noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 RAV4 and the EPB whine is markedly louder now at 24k than when we bought it at 14k. And I’ve installed sound insulation throughout the rear half of the cabin and it’s still noticeably louder. I’m curious if the parking brake motor which I’m assuming is similar to BMW’s with a little worm/spindle gear on the end can be lubricated or maybe adjusted or if it’s self adjusting?

·
Registered
328 Posts
My driver side EPB has begun to squeak or otherwise become about twice as loud as the passenger side. Sounds like it needs some lube. Does anyone have the torque specs for the front and rear caliper slide pins by any chance? I figure while I’m in there, I should probably give everything a once over.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Serious question here, I’m simply curious and not trying to start a war.
Why do you (anyone) not use the park brake? It seems to me that in North America, most people just put the transmission in park and leave the park brake off. I would have thought the parking pawl wouldn’t be too reliable to hold a heavy vehicle on a hill and you’d want the park brake to take the vehicles weight instead.
In Australia it’s normal practice to stop with the foot brake, put the car in park and let the foot brake off only after engaging the park brake. This means the parking pawl has virtually no load on it and the actual brakes are holding the car.
I know in cold climates you don’t want your brakes to freeze, but no idea otherwise.
Please enlighten me!
In reply to your question, in the UK, & other parts of the world where manual transmission are standard on a vehicle you buy & automatic is a very expensive option on a vehicle if available at all, use of the hand brake is a must on a manual transmission. While in N America good luck trying yto find a manual transmission vehicle is next to in possible. When I first moved to Canada, having never driven a automatic transmission vehicle before every time I would stopped at a red light I would put the transmission into park until the light changed to green. After a few weeks of driving and riding along with a friend I noticed how he drove and i stopped putting the vehicle into park at every red light and quit using the handbrake.

When I go back to the UK I have to relearn to drive a manual transmission plus remember to apply the hand brake. The only time I apply the brake on the Rav4 is either parking on a slope or hill etc.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
In reply to your question, in the UK, & other parts of the world where manual transmission are standard on a vehicle you buy & automatic is a very expensive option on a vehicle if available at all, use of the hand brake is a must on a manual transmission. While in N America good luck trying yto find a manual transmission vehicle is next to in possible. When I first moved to Canada, having never driven a automatic transmission vehicle before every time I would stopped at a red light I would put the transmission into park until the light changed to green. After a few weeks of driving and riding along with a friend I noticed how he drove and i stopped putting the vehicle into park at every red light and quit using the handbrake.

When I go back to the UK I have to relearn to drive a manual transmission plus remember to apply the hand brake. The only time I apply the brake on the Rav4 is either parking on a slope or hill etc.
I have heard some people swear that they get better gas mileage and less wear on their automatic transmission by putting it in N at stop lights. I don't see the need to do this, but I do see the need to use the braking brake regardless of the parking situation. Now with the electric parking brake, it's a no brainer since it will do it for you, unless you've turned it off. It also, at least in my mind, keeps the mechanism functioning smoothly rather than relying on it only in certain circumstances and then find out that it' not working properly. Just my .02 {in dollars}

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
758 Posts
I think its possible that if people do not use the automatic electric parking brake on a regular basis that it may get "gummed up" or noisy and sticky. It needs to be exercised.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think its possible that if people do not use the automatic electric parking brake on a regular basis that it may get "gummed up" or noisy and sticky. It needs to be exercised.
Mine engages every time I go to into park. Unfortunately, I don’t think this is a case of it being under exercised. It doesn’t seem to be sticking or hanging at the moment but it’s been 38K miles so it’s about time for a lube job on it anyhow. Just have to figure out the torque specs before diving into it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Mine engages every time I go to into park. Unfortunately, I don’t think this is a case of it being under exercised. It doesn’t seem to be sticking or hanging at the moment but it’s been 38K miles so it’s about time for a lube job on it anyhow. Just have to figure out the torque specs before diving into it.
Can it be lubed? Looks like a closed cylinder in the videos and the rod pokes out when it's actuated. Don't know that its a good idea to just grease up the rod (I'm only talking about the car part--nothing anatomical.)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Can it be lubed? Looks like a closed cylinder in the videos and the rod pokes out when it's actuated. Don't know that its a good idea to just grease up the rod (I'm only talking about the car part--nothing anatomical.)
You appear correct, it doesn’t look like the motor assembly can be greased but certainly the slide pins and pad ears could probably use some lube at this point. I’ll see if that makes any difference in the squeaking.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My driver side EPB has begun to squeak or otherwise become about twice as loud as the passenger side. Sounds like it needs some lube. Does anyone have the torque specs for the front and rear caliper slide pins by any chance? I figure while I’m in there, I should probably give everything a once over.
You appear correct, it doesn’t look like the motor assembly can be greased but certainly the slide pins and pad ears could probably use some lube at this point. I’ll see if that makes any difference in the squeaking.
Still under warranty ?

Much respect for your ingenuity and mechanical skill, but personal opinion I would have the brake checked at the next scheduled service or by scheduled appt. May be other issues.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Still under warranty ?

Much respect for your ingenuity and mechanical skill, but personal opinion I would have the brake checked at the next scheduled service or by scheduled appt. May be other issues.
Warranty just ran out two weeks ago and it started squeaking this past weekend.

She’s going on 2 years old in a few months so it’s about time to cleanup everything and give the slide pins some fresh Silglyde. If that doesn’t fix it, I’ll give the dealer a call to see if they have had any other EPBs make a similar sound to see if it is of any concern.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I’m happy to report that my rear brakes just needed a good lube job; primarily between the shims on the inboard pad. The loud squeaking noise is gone when the parking brake is applied.

Here is the before video:

Here is the after video:
Did you use Silglyde from NAPA on the pads or something else?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Did you use Silglyde from NAPA on the pads or something else?
I used Silglyde for the slide pins and then Permetex “Ceramic Extreme” purple grease for the pads, shims, and ears.

Also, I’d like to note for the community that y’all should really consider doing an annual cleaning and regreasing of these calipers. The back slide pins weren’t too bad and I was able to slide them a bit just using my fingers. The fronts on the other hand, completely immovable by hand and I needed to use pliers to extract them. Once the fronts were cleaned up and had new grease in them, they were very free moving.

I know that it’s not in the owners manual, but I’m adding it to my annual autumn maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD - Blizzard Pearl/Black
588 Posts
I’m happy to report that my rear brakes just needed a good lube job; primarily between the shims on the inboard pad. The loud squeaking noise is gone when the parking brake is applied.

Here is the before video:

Here is the after video:
One of mine are starting to sound like your 1st video. Can this damage the motor over time? I'm not very mechanically savvy but wonder how much a shop would charge for this service.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts