Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,604 Posts
I should have mentioned.
It still handles the same as before and yes it has had the recall for the epoxy. Since the car never did much road work and my aunt was very forgetful, checking for all the recalls was one of the first things I did.
Years ago I had a VW Rabbit that had a bad shock tower bearing It seems to handle stiff like that car did. But if I rcall it made noise on turns.
There have been many complaints on here from people who have had the epoxy fix, only to find that the rear end is out of alignment. Toyota refuses to fix it unless you pay to have it completely redone. Take it to a good independent alignment shop and see what they say. The steering behavior you are describing is NOT normal.

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
Two thoughts:
How strong is the battery? We've had posts on weird EPS symptoms that went away with a new battery. I'd check the voltage while driving.

To see if something's binding see how the feel changes with the front end jacked up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Two thoughts:
How strong is the battery? We've had posts on weird EPS symptoms that went away with a new battery. I'd check the voltage while driving.

To see if something's binding see how the feel changes with the front end jacked up.
I'm going to be out there this afternoon checking the several things mentioned here. I'll keep you posted. The battery is a new one. It didn't test well and was replaced when the tires were put on at 18K as it was still the original battery!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you move the steering wheel a 1/4 inch left of right in normal driving just keeping in your lane it makes the car jerk left or right. If you move the wheel left or right while on the highway for a lane change the car wants to drive off the road it will not center if you don't do it. If for some reason you sneeze or something and jerk the wheel I think you could actually drive off the road.
I will re-bump this thread, seems like it is a problem a lot of us are experiencing.
My 2006 has exactly the same behavior, there is not steering assist at all. When i turn right and exit from the curve to go straight, the steering wheel will keep it's position to right. So on every turn i must hold and return it manually to center.

My thoughts are if there is a steering motor that has no power or something?

·
Registered
8,361 Posts
Power steering on my '11 RAV4 has a semi-dead feel in many driving situations but it does provide assist when parking, for example. Past vehicles which weighed much more and didn't have power steering had much better feel on the road and so did a friend's British MG which I drove and which was much lighter. My wife's CR-V has hydraulic power steering with much better feel than my RAV4's electric system. Personally I could do well without power steering with a vehicle of the RAV4's size and weight but the trend is to have power steering on almost every wheeled device these days - are roller skates and baby carriages next?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts