Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all store in your Rav's in the event of emergencies? And where do you keep it? :?:

We don't have the cargo cover yet...procrastinating ordering it I guess. And the audio guy doesn't like me to leave anything visible in the vehicle - someone might break in you know...but there are those little storage compartments in the back...
So far all I've got in my Rav is kleenex, bottled water and a very small first aid kit in the glove box. I'm thinking I should be more prepared though.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is a funnel, quart of oil, ratchet set (standard, not metric like it should be) and all the stuff I need to remove my spare wheel (locking lug nuts). In my glove compartment the only "safety" thing is a flashlight. and I keep a blanket in the trunk (currently covering my subs, but that is cause I didn't want them gettin hit by stuff the other day. In winter I have a shovel and scrapper in there, and usually misc. others (extra hat/gloves). I used to carry kitty litter for winter, but don't anymore. May start up again this winter though.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Here is what I carry.

All year:
- First Aid kit
- Cell phone / Charger
- Flashlight
- blanket
- surgical gloves
- Few essential tools

Winter:
- Down Coat
- Hat
- Heavy Gloves
- Ski mask
- Plastic Shovel
- Scraper / Broom
(I forgot last year to put candle/lighter/chocolate bar) :roll:

Also, how much gas is in the tank is very important so when I’m on normal daily trips of 4 miles or so the gas tank is ¼ full.
If I am going 40 miles I fill ½ full unless it is winter and I will increase the amount.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mionee67 said:
how much gas is in the tank is very important
good point!!!
All the evacuations in LA/Texas etc lately inspired this question and all the "Out of Gas" signs sure drove this point home!

·
Registered
650 Posts
mionee67 said:
Here is what I carry.

All year:
- First Aid kit
- Cell phone / Charger
- Flashlight
- blanket
- surgical gloves
- Few essential tools
Good stuff to have. I also like to keep a couple bottles of water, a few granola bars or power bars and a few dollars in cash.

What I'm thinking of adding is a window punch in my glove compartment.

Sig

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tools

Here's what I carry for travel in the back woods:
- 2 winter survival kits - orange hat/blanket/candle/food, etc.
- 12v Battery booster under drivers seat
- Large First Aid Kit left rear compartment
- 2 MagLight Flashlights/w extra blubs
- 12v Air Compressor
- 4 Extra D Batteries
- Road Flares - Triangle Reflector
- Small socket set
- Scraper/brush
- Small folding snow shovel
- Winter Gloves
- Jumper Cables
- Extra headlight/fog/signal bulbs
- 86 the cell phone - they don't work up here

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
good point!!!
All the evacuations in LA/Texas etc lately inspired this question and all the "Out of Gas" signs sure drove this point home!
I also have 2 small gas reserves at home. One is in the Backup Generator and the other is a large gas jug. I keep a siphon pump if i need to transfer it to the car to gen. or visa versa. And if there is a storm i go top all tanks up before hand.
Some people say i am smart some think its nuts but i've seen disasters before LA and people are put in buildings like animals.
Just think what would happen to us in Canada or Northern USA if the Big Blackout was in January. :eek: I figure why not put a little effort and money into em. Backup systems for the same reason we buy insurance.

Having read some of the other posts reminds me to go put a few more things on my shopping list. :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
There's plenty of room in the rav in the SECRET compartments. If you haven't discovered it already, the 4.2's have a hidden space under the carpet of the rear trunk. Lift up to see how much room you can store stuff! Also above the right rear wheel has another compartment.

as for emergency stuf, i only have a basic first aid kit from a store. water bottles are always there but half empty. i have my eye on a fire extinguisher after hearing about someone who's stock HIDs from a BMW burnt his hood and went up in flames.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the great lists!
Now I just have to assemble what I think I need (This reminds me of putting together my 'labor bag')
One thing I plan to do is get a big red jug for some extra gas. I'd be nervous driving around on the freeways with gasoline in the back (perhaps for no reason as it occurs to me that in a wreck the actual gas tank isn't going to be very protected either hmmm :roll: ) but I could keep that in the garage just in case.
Does anyone know if gas 'expires'?
How many months/years would it last in there? I guess I should write the date on the jug when I fill it up.

I've always felt pretty safe having AAA and haven't bothered keeping too much stuff in any of my cars. But if there was a disaster I'd figure the wait time for AAA could be unbearable. Guess I really should learn how to change a tire myself... :oops:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Kitty,

After one month of storage Gasoline needs to have fuel stabilizer added.

Store all gasoline containers in a well-ventilated shed or detached garage, away from the reach of children.

If you happen to be out in the countryside store all Gasoline (and other toxic chemicals) as far away and downslide from your well (and your neighbor's well) as possible.

As for changing the tire it is not that hard. Do it on a level area and while in Park put on the Parking brake. The mounting point for the jack is shown in the manual. The OEM Lug wrench to remove the wheels may be a bit small if they are over torque or seized so you may want to get a longer Lug wrench or have a steel tube that slides over the OEM one to extend its length giving you more leverage. The initial ¼ turn I do on the ground while the tire is well planted.
It would be ideal to put wheel back on using a torque wrench (measures the torque) so it will not be over tightened or to loose. In the case of removal in an emergency it can be checked when you get back home by a mechanic.

Having said all of that I think it is good to do it the first time with a knowledgable friend around. Better yet do it on thier car :wink:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Don't keep gas in the vehicle, the fumes can build up and cause a fire/explosion. I never keep extra gas around, because I live in an apartment with no garage, and nothing ever happens here where I would be worried about not being able to get gas.

With that said, these are the things I keep in my Rav4:

- Mag Lite flashlight, plus an extra flashlight and a plug-in light
- Flares (the real kind)
- Air compressor
- A can of fix-a-flat (which is all but useless)
- Fire extinguisher
- No first aid kit, but some band-aids and duct tape
- Tie down straps and bungee cords
- All weather blanket (serves as a cargo cover)
- Jumper cables
- A quart of Mobil 1 and a funnel
- Extra fuses and some other spare parts
- Extra windshield wipers
- A roll of shop towels
- Breaker bar and torque wrench with a 21mm deep socket for the lug nuts
- 10mm nut driver (most common size on the Rav4)
- 8-in-1 screwdriver
- A can of WD40
- An extra set of headlight bulbs
- An old pair of shoes or two
- Razor knife
- 2-way FRS radios
- 50' of truck rope

During the winter I also carry:

- Ice scraper / snow brush
- Snow boots, a pair of gloves and a hat
- A can of spray de-icer (works great on frozen windshield wipers)
- Usually 1-2 50 lb bags of sand
- Extra windshield washer fluid

Half the time I am usually carrying one or more of my toolboxes in the back, so I don't have a dedicated tool set. Luckily I have never been "stranded" on the side of the road in the Rav4 or previous cars (knock on wood). The closest I came was when I had two flat tires on a road in my hometown, but that was more of a hassle than anything else. I keep my vehicle in top running condition and do all of the maintenance myself, so I know if something is wrong or about to go bad, plus I know I fixed it correctly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts