Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,,
Let me give you a little background before asking the real questions, so here I go ...

I left my RAV4 2007 parked in uncovered airport parking lot for 10 days. Upon arrival from our vacation before driving off from the parking lot I felt the emergency (parking) brake were stuck to rotors after releasing it. It felt weird but I did not stop the car to check anything and started to drive off the lot. But when I applied brakes I heard noise and felt vibrations from back wheels. I stopped the car and checked the rotors which was rusty. I thought to myself it is time to get new rear brakes.
showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ https://vidmate.vet/
Next day I took my car to a local shop, and the mechanic said my front brakes and rotors need changing and rear pads are half used but rotors must be changed, and strongly suggested to change the rears pads along with rotors. He also found the left (driver side) emergency parking brake cable was broken as well. I guess that is what I had felt stuck when I drove off from the lot.

After 700 + tax, I got front and rear new brake pads and rotors but since parking cable was not in stock that was left unchanged. :mad:

My questions to you all are …
1. Can someone help me understand why all this would happened just parking the car for 10 days in open air parking lot? :eek:
2.Was it a over kill to change rear pads even though only rotors had rust and gone bad? :confused:
3.Can I drive around for a while with left side broken emergency brake cable? As I just spent $700.00 on front and back brakes. :wall
4.Does anyone know what would it cost to replace parking cable for 2007 RAV4 LTD, V6.

TIA.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
When I park my RAV over night or two, I usually experience rust on the rotors, It goes away after 2 or 3 stops and remains fine. Did you have a lot of rain for those 10 days? Did you drive it much after leaving the parking lot?
IMO, if replacing front & rear rotors and front pads, why leave half-worn rear pads on? Get everything done at once and start off brand new.
No problem driving around with one broken cable, as long as the new one is on order.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
4.Does anyone know what would it cost to replace parking cable for 2007 RAV4 LTD, V6.

TIA.
Parts from Toyota online $63 for one side (Dealer $90. Labour is an hour ($75-$95). If both left and right side parking cable is broken then double the price. There is a left and right side parking cable.
Rockauto charges $20 for the parking cable. Much cheaper to order from there and bring it to the mechanic but make sure you know which side is broken.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts