Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have a 1KW sine wave inverter on hand for emergencies. It'll run the furnace and fridge. I just have to jumper that to the 12v battery. If you want more than 1000W you have to go to a hard wired high voltage setup wired direct to the traction battery.

Some folks will also hard wire the 1000W setup with quick disconnects at the 12v battery.

There are arguments for using an actual generator instead, but the HV car has the advantage of having wheels and 12 gal of fuel on board. It'll run for days as a generator.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My thoughts are that if the power requirements are low, it is better to use the Hybrid system. It charges as needed and the engine gets to rest in between.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
My thoughts are that if the power requirements are low, it is better to use the Hybrid system. It charges as needed and the engine gets to rest in between.
That's the same either way because you have the system running in both cases.

·
Registered
54 Posts
it would also be a lot quieter. My 5k portable generator sounds like a plane taking off when running. Tough on the neighbors if I have to run it at night.

The car idling in the driveway? Barely noticeable.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a 1KW sine wave inverter on hand for emergencies. It'll run the furnace and fridge. I just have to jumper that to the 12v battery. If you want more than 1000W you have to go to a hard wired high voltage setup wired direct to the traction battery.

Some folks will also hard wire the 1000W setup with quick disconnects at the 12v battery.

There are arguments for using an actual generator instead, but the HV car has the advantage of having wheels and 12 gal of fuel on board. It'll run for days as a generator.

@rdgrimes

I'm planning to buy a pure sine wave converter (at least 1000w). Any suggestion?

Also, do you connect the converter directly to the battery in the trunk (like if you were boosting the car?).

I was wondering what is the maximum power inverter I could use with our 12v battery. I found this on the 12v battery : 20HR 45Ah CCA 325A
I suppose that the maximum output is 12v x 325A = 3900 watts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
@rdgrimes

I'm planning to buy a pure sine wave converter (at least 1000w). Any suggestion?

Also, do you connect the converter directly to the battery in the trunk (like if you were boosting the car?).

I was wondering what is the maximum power inverter I could use with our 12v battery. I found this on the 12v battery : 20HR 45Ah CCA 325A

Thanks!

If the motor will be running then you'd need rating of the generator output feeding that battery as your 'source'. Conventional Lead Acid battery doesn't last long if it is discharged with current greater than 10% of its capacity, in this case 4.5 A. So, running purely off the battery I'd expect 4.5 x 12 approx 50W available for about 6-8 hrs. If 12V generator charging it is of standard type it can supply at least 50A continuously at 14V voltage giving 700W available when the motor is running.

The hybrid battery and generator charging that battery is completely different story. That would be interesting thing to utilize but it would require some exotic inverter capable of converting 220V DC into pure sine wave AC. If such thing existed it would be able to feed entire house at 20-30kW output :).

·
Registered
607 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
prototype ...

This one talks about 24-30 volt at 250amps but also mentions need for cooling...

http://vanner.com/manuals/HIGH-VOLTAGE-DC-DC-CONVERTER.pdf
... requires much higher input voltage, in 550V+ range

... hearsay :)

the steering converter looks promising: its 42V DC output is in the range of standard pure sine wave inverters designed for 48V input. Sounds like 500W capable but it is also expensive.

The thing is the direct conversion 220V DC-> 2 opposite AC pure sine waves 110V each should be easily possible but I also couldn't find one readily available. Do I need to make one, really, and I don't even have a hybrid to begin with :)?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
@rdgrimes

Any pure sine wave unit will work. Should be rated for 1000W load.

Yes. Some folks install a permanent "quick connect" type setup that you can just plug in to.

Thanks!
You're not drawing power from the 12v battery if the system is on. The rule of thumb for the Prius models is 1000W. I see no reason to assume the Rav4 system is any different. This limitation is due to the charging system that feeds the 12v from the hybrid system. Ideally you'd want to see some form of protection in the inverter (breaker/fuse)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Any pure sine wave unit will work. Should be rated for 1000W load.

Yes. Some folks install a permanent "quick connect" type setup that you can just plug in to.
Interesting! Any link to the "quick connect" setup?

You're not drawing power from the 12v battery if the system is on. The rule of thumb for the Prius models is 1000W. I see no reason to assume the Rav4 system is any different. This limitation is due to the charging system that feeds the 12v from the hybrid system. Ideally you'd want to see some form of protection in the inverter (breaker/fuse)
Ok, thanks for the info. It means that the power I use doesn't come from the 12v battery directly (if car is on) and the 12v battery is like a bridge between traction battery and the inverter in this situation. And because the car is running, we cannot use all the "bandwith" available because the 12v battery will still need some power to be charge (because the car is on and some 12v equipment is using it, like radio, screen, etc.). Is that correct?

The power inverter I was looking for is 1000w continuous (2000w peak), is it too much?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Interesting! Any link to the "quick connect" setup?
There's all kinds of options, just be sure its rated for 1KW. I'd think 10GA or larger wire. RV-ers use a lot of this stuff, like quick-connect battery cables and the like. Google is your friend.
The power inverter I was looking for is 1000w continuous (2000w peak), is it too much?

Thanks again!
Doesn't matter how high the inverter is rated. But if you over-load the Rav4 charging system you will blow a fuse. I think there's a fusible link in there somewhere. So you want to manage the load on the inverter. One of those "Kill-A-Watt" meters is a good idea so you can observe the load.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In the past I read some horror stories about people blowing up inverter, when trying to jump start another car and the inverter cost few thousand dollars to replace, so I would be very careful trying to put some heavy load on a car. I would rather try to put extra muffler on my $200 generator and blow it up in the process, than risk breaking the car.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
True, I'd only recommend 12 volt / low amp devices and avoid the inverter. These days, that's very doable... for lighting, 12 volt LED lamps; for entertainment: smart phone + tablet + LED TV vs the old days; for refrigeration, there are 12 volt car fridges... just be judicious about what you keep cool.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
In the past I read some horror stories about people blowing up inverter, when trying to jump start another car and the inverter cost few thousand dollars to replace, so I would be very careful trying to put some heavy load on a car. I would rather try to put extra muffler on my $200 generator and blow it up in the process, than risk breaking the car.
No question that people who aren't comfortable should stay away. But jumping another car is a completely different thing. 1000W peak is a fraction of that load and the system is designed for it. It equals something around 85 amps. Cranking a car with dead battery can easily run a few hundred amps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No question that people who aren't comfortable should stay away. But jumping another car is a completely different thing. 1000W peak is a fraction of that load and the system is designed for it. It equals something around 85 amps. Cranking a car with dead battery can easily run a few hundred amps.
Sure, but you jump car for few seconds, you could be without lights for days (I was) and may need to run stuff constantly, like fridge or heat and especially during startup, the amperage drawn could easily double. Also there is always a chance of short circuit. For example when I had power outage few months ago, one of 2 phases coming in was working, one wasn't and when I switched one line from fuse on dead phase into live one, I blew 200 A main fuse, still don't understand how that was possible, all the lines should be separated, all had common ground and it should make no difference. The only device in my house that use both phases was AC compressor and it was disconnected at that time, so that wasn't the cause. My point is you can get completely unexpected issues that could cause serious damage to your car and full generator is not that expensive and probably use similar amount of fuel.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
... For example when I had power outage few months ago, one of 2 phases coming in was working, one wasn't and when I switched one line from fuse on dead phase into live one, I blew 200 A main fuse, still don't understand how that was possible, all the lines should be separated, all had common ground and it should make no difference...
Goes to show how even those of us who understand this electrical stuff get surprised sometimes. Just last summer I blew out a $100 LED outdoor wet-rated light by accidentally connecting it to 220V while wiring four-way switches at a friend's new house. There were two of them on the same circuit but only one blew out. Why I'll never know but since I was working for free I was glad he covered it so it didn't cost me to help him.
So what surprises me is the things the folks who know little about what they're doing seem to get away with following some online video or such. Then they're totally shocked when they blow up some expensive electronics on their hybrid when, as you say it should have been a $200 generator.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I hear you,I’m going to add a fuse between the 12v battery and the inverter.

Should I limit it to 85amp (85x12=1020 watts) or I could put a little bit more? My inverter is1000w continuous but 2000 peak, this would be usefull when the fridge starts.

thanks!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts