Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Is there a way to check/view the readiness codes that the ECU sets for emissions purposes using TechStream?

I drive my RAV4 maybe 2 times a week on relatively short distances. My vehicle has to pass emissions by Sept 10 this year. In IL, they check via a computer. However, to pass emissions the ECU must first set the necessary readiness codes within. This usually happens after a certain type of a drive cycle.

On my track BMW I use INPA and I know exactly when the ECU has set all the readiness codes so that I can then drive straight up to the emissions testing center. Can the same be done using Techstream?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
I don't have Techstream so I can't answer your specific question but why not just use a simple code reader, any of which can read readiness status?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Hi everyone,
Is there a way to check/view the readiness codes that the ECU sets for emissions purposes using TechStream?
I drive my RAV4 maybe 2 times a week on relatively short distances. My vehicle has to pass emissions by Sept 10 this year. In IL, they check via a computer. However, to pass emissions the ECU must first set the necessary readiness codes within. This usually happens after a certain type of a drive cycle.
On my track BMW I use INPA and I know exactly when the ECU has set all the readiness codes so that I can then drive straight up to the emissions testing center. Can the same be done using Techstream?
Thanks in advance.
Not sure of the reason for your question. Is the CEL lit? If so, what are the codes?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I drive my RAV4 maybe 2 times a week on relatively short distances.
Most important is to drive your RAV4 following the Drive Cycle requirements, and be sure not to disconnect the battery during or after a complete drive cycle. A drive cycle is usually some local city routes of under 35mph, several miles of highway speeds up to 65mph, then some city driving again, There is an EVAP test that the ECU executes overnight or when parked all day after driving and usually no special driving is necessary.

The ready codes can be read by a service center. There are some smart phone code readers, too, but I don't know anyone else but me who has tried them. Perhaps we can start a new topic for that.

Aside: The EVAP test puzzled me at first when I went to my RAV4 one evening with my hearing aids turned up (gads, you hear everything then) and I heard some sound under the car. It was the EVAP running.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyone's responses. Yeah, I am aware how emissions testing works and what a drive cycle is. What I am trying to do is minimize the time I need to drive around aimlessly before the ECU sets the readiness codes. If I don't have the readiness codes set before I show up at the emissions testing station which usually has a big line, then they will tell me to go drive around more and come back. Waste of time.

When my track BMW is due for emissions, I just have a laptop in my car and watch the readiness codes live as I drive. As soon as the drive cycle is complete, I'll immediately head towards the emissions testing center.

I guess I'll have to play with TechStream to see if I can find the necessary screen for the same thing.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
[...] When my track BMW is due for emissions, I just have a laptop in my car and watch the readiness codes live as I drive. As soon as the drive cycle is complete, I'll immediately head towards the emissions testing center.

I guess I'll have to play with TechStream to see if I can find the necessary screen for the same thing.
I use various OBDII apps on a smart phone, wireless or wired; they work for my Toyota and Ford and dozens of other cars. The apps I have are EngineLink, DashCmd and Carista. They all do emission readiness tests by default.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use various OBDII apps on a smart phone, wireless or wired; they work for my Toyota and Ford and dozens of other cars. The apps I have are EngineLink, DashCmd and Carista. They all do emission readiness tests by default.
:) Sorry, I don't think you understand. The specialized software allows you to do all kinds of crazy stuff with the car that the generic OBD readers won't do. I have the full BMW dealership software toolkit and I can literally wipe entire controllers and reinstall custom firmware on them. Techstream allows you to do diagnostics and coding which is far more advanced than what a generic OBD reader will do.

Once you play with the advanced software packages a generic OBD reader feels Neatherthal-ish. So if I already have Techstream, why not use it to see what's happening with the readiness codes? So the point of my thread is: has anyone used techstream to check on the ECU emissions readiness states?

Judging by the answers so far it seems either no one has done it yet or Techstream is not capable. I'll do my own testing soon and find out.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
:) Sorry, I don't think you understand. The specialized software allows you to do all kinds of crazy stuff with the car that the generic OBD readers won't do.
We all seek good information. I think you will find a few smart phone OBD readers are quite good and even the cheap one will read the eco ready status

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
I know we have several, maybe many members who use TechStream to customize their A/C, door locks, etc. Hopefully one will chime in on your OBD readiness question.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
:) Sorry, I don't think you understand. The specialized software allows you to do all kinds of crazy stuff with the car that the generic OBD readers won't do. I have the full BMW dealership software toolkit and I can literally wipe entire controllers and reinstall custom firmware on them. Techstream allows you to do diagnostics and coding which is far more advanced than what a generic OBD reader will do.
The issue with Techstream, as used by most DIY people, is that they do not have the true Xhorse cable. Most of us just have the cheap Chinese clone cable.
Attempting to reflash the ECU is not recommended because these cables are not very reliable.... So when asking most of us what we use Techstream for, the answer generally is that we use it for very little that can't be done with a BT adapter and Torque or Carista.

It's been 2 years since I've been into any of my vehicles with Techstream... the BT adapter and Torque/Carista are just far more convenient than dragging the notebook out to the car.

You're more of a power user, and it sounds like you have a pro quality cable.

Please realize that Techstream is subscription-based. The versions referenced on various forums is a cracked version that is not supported by Toyota and will not retrieve updates from TIS if you attempt to log in. Seriously, for most of us the only thing Techstream will do that Torque/Carista won't is display actual tire pressures and pair keys/remotes to the vehicle.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The issue with Techstream, as used by most DIY people, is that they do not have the true Xhorse cable. Most of us just have the cheap Chinese clone cable.
Attempting to reflash the ECU is not recommended because these cables are not very reliable.... So when asking most of us what we use Techstream for, the answer generally is that we use it for very little that can't be done with a BT adapter and Torque or Carista.

It's been 2 years since I've been into any of my vehicles with Techstream... the BT adapter and Torque/Carista are just far more convenient than dragging the notebook out to the car.

You're more of a power user, and it sounds like you have a pro quality cable.

Please realize that Techstream is subscription-based. The versions referenced on various forums is a cracked version that is not supported by Toyota and will not retrieve updates from TIS if you attempt to log in. Seriously, for most of us the only thing Techstream will do that Torque/Carista won't is display actual tire pressures and pair keys/remotes to the vehicle.
Now that makes perfect sense! Thanks for clarifying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts