Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Rav four cylinder. Are there any engine additives that will help my engine, such as clean it etc.
GOUVEIA:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
Do you have a way to measure how clean it is or isn't? If so you could try every product that promises wonders. If not don't waste your money. I never have.

Reactions: sparky52

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
My father was a convinced engine additive person. Finally learned a lesson when his relatively new V8 had to have the cylinder heads removed and the combustion chambers, piston heads, and valves cleaned because of buildup, and that buildup didn't involve the engine burning oil as it didn't do so.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Changing the engine oil and filter at recommended intervals is the best thing you can do for your engine. I don't use additives.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
My father was a convinced engine additive person. Finally learned a lesson when his relatively new V8 had to have the cylinder heads removed and the combustion chambers, piston heads, and valves cleaned because of buildup, and that buildup didn't involve the engine burning oil as it didn't do so.
Curious - when was that? For our old Harleys (Fifties, Sixties) we would do goofy things like pouring diesel fuel or water through the carb while running wide full open. :)

My last build, '46, '56, '66 Harley. :)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Curious - when was that? For our old Harleys (Fifties, Sixties) we would do goofy things like pouring diesel fuel or water through the carb while running wide full open. :)

My last build, '46, '56, '66 Harley. :)

I don't recall the exact year but after he stopped using gas tank additives he didn't have any more problem with combustion chamber buildup, and after he died his wife drove the same car for years without any further problem.

Why were diesel fuel and water poured into HD carbs - maybe to try to get rid of any lead and carbon accumulation in the cylinders (presumably that was before unleaded gasoline)?

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Unless the four banger is using the typically high amounts of oil I see no reasons for oil additives. I have used Restore in extreme oil burners in the past with some success.

Now fuel additives like Chevron Techron make sense to me as a preventative measure. Keep it clean.

·
Registered
263 Posts
from what I've seen on BITOG, gumout w/ regane (or any gas additive with PEA) is pretty much the only effective gas additive here. Given some regions that use up to 10% ethanol in their gas, I don't think it's a bad idea. I think using good gas (Shell, BP) is good enough on its own. I'm using Red Line in the engine, so I high quality oil is a good idea as well. I've used Gumout in the Rav4 and haven't noticed anything either way.

That said, I've also used it on the Corolla (nearly 200k miles, that's a lot of fillups) and noticed a strange uptick in MPG shortly after - but I'll stop short of attributing it to the Gumout.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've never used an additive of any sort in 35 years of turning wrenches on about 2 dozen cars in the family, many with 200K+ miles. I rarely use a name brand gasoline and have never had any major engine problems. I regularly monitor mpgs as it's a good "parakeet in a mine" first indication of problems. Don't buy into the hype.

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
I get good results from this Toyota product. Not exactly cheap, but lasts for ~ 2 years.
And you have quantitative proof that it works? And that it stops working after 24 months.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I've never used an additive of any sort in 35 years of turning wrenches on about 2 dozen cars in the family, many with 200K+ miles. I rarely use a name brand gasoline and have never had any major engine problems. I regularly monitor mpgs as it's a good "parakeet in a mine" first indication of problems. Don't buy into the hype.
You do know that that dispels absolutely nothing, right? Heck.. I could counter by saying with likewise NO empirical evidence whatsoever (cuz I'm no scientist either)... that I've had two RAV4s (I4 / currently V6) and unlike SO MANY here who have (and continue to have) a plethora of issues with their RAVs.. I just shake my head in wonder cuz I have had NONE - not ONE since 2006 - and it's because..... wait for it bitches.... I use Techron. :wink

See how crazy that sounds.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts

+1. But with more years of turning wrenches on vehicles . . . :wink All gasoline sold in the US is required to have detergent additives - the level may vary between so-called top tier brands and others.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Why were diesel fuel and water poured into HD carbs - maybe to try to get rid of any lead and carbon accumulation in the cylinders (presumably that was before unleaded gasoline)?
Exactly. Diesel worked best. The heads back then weren't highly developed - no swirl in the squish, so detonation was common in higher compression builds. Always used Ethyl, with crap additives sometimes. On the Harleys and Triumphs, the heads were removed and cleaned very often.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts