Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 RAV4 XLE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2017 RAV4 a year ago. So I'm checking out the maintenance schedule and see it may be overdue for a new engine air filter. When I pulled out the existing filter it appears that it is original to the car (it now has 54K miles, and I bought it at 36K miles). So I looked up the part number: 17801-0V020 but that part is very hard to find. What I did find was 17801-YZZ10 which according to ToyotaPartsandService.com website is the MVP (Market Value Priced) part. The Toyota air filter part list of 3/31/2021 says that "MVP parts should NOT be used for warranty purposes!" So naturally I think the MVP is a lesser quality part than the Original Equipment part. I read similar comments from other Toyota owners regarding the MVP filters, but nobody had done a physical comparison. So today I did a comparison.

I found that my OE part -0V022 weighs 450 grams, the new filter -YZZ10 weighs 405 grams. Why the difference? Both filters have 111 pleats and are the same size: length, width, and height. Some of the weight difference is due to dirt in the old filter, but I don't think it can be 45 grams of dirt. So I'm thinking much of the difference must be the density of the filter media.

Attached are the comparison photos.
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Flooring Publication
Wood Rectangle Metal Hardwood Art
Wood Gold Rectangle Publication Tints and shades
Brown Rectangle Wood Beige Tints and shades

·
Registered
290 Posts
45g is only 1.5 ounces... I can imagine 1.5 ounces of dirt in a 4 year old air filter... And I've probably pulled filters with closer to a full pound of debris...

Not sure if this is the same thing, but the Car Care Nut guy (Toyota Master Diagnostic Tech) says there are many parts where Toyota offers an 'Economy' version, and even some others (air filters?) have a factory part that is only supplied for manufacturing and is not available in the retail market for some reason. In any case, he claims that even the 'Economy' versions are very high quality and meet Toyota's high quality standards.

If it's a genuine Toyota filter, I wouldn't have any concerns using it myself.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Agree, you can’t go wrong with an OEM filter, even if it’s an ‘economy’ version. I get Denso filters if they’re available. Wix is also a great brand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts