Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2000 model 4 cylinder 2.0 liter automatic I believe. I just recently went to sears to have them check out a few problems and they found some metal dust on my oil pan (needed an oil pan gasket is why they found that) and then they showed me the bearing in my engine right above it. There were the normal ones and then there was one that looked like it had been scarped against and that's where the particles were coming from.

The car has 200,500 miles on it and I was wondering what your best advice is.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
wow, 200,500 miles!

seems like you were already told about replacing the oil pan gasket and new oil change.

ok, why did you actually go to sears?

please be specific about the "few problems" so more members could say something about it.

- engine bearings, did they actually opened up the head of the engine? for example
- do you have some photos?

:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I originally went in for a check engine light. Battery died so that shut off and they couldn't find the code so they check around a few places and found the following:
Bad spark plugs (got replaced)
Bad oil pan gasket (fixed)
and bent part of exhaust (not fixed, but not a huge deal right now)

I put up pictures of the bearing.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is that excessive thrust play? (crank shaft moving too far in/out)

We loose our oil pans due to rust, all the time What ruins California oil pans? :)

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Hey, TreeLady: 200,000 miles? Wow! It's just starting to get broken in! If taken care of, this may be the first two of 300,000 miles! OK: what you are looking at (the pictures) are not the bearings. Those are under the piston rods (those things you can see with the bolts on them) and under the journals of the crank shaft (also hidden). What is wearing is the counter-balance part of the crank shaft (necessary to counter the weight of the piston, piston rod): the piston rod is rubbing against the counterbalance. How long had it been since your oil had been changed? Most junk like "dust" will be hanging up in the filter: that's its job, filter out the junk in the oil. I wish they would have taken the filter apart and showed you what was inside of that. If there was a ton of metal in there, that is not good news. Is there a "knock" (a clunking sound) from your engine when it is running slowly/idle? As it is one rod journal problem, it probably isn't the main bearings or thrust bearing (which keeps the crank shaft from moving forward or back [side to side in our engines, actually]). That scraping pattern may be caused by a sloppy piston, allowing the rod to move (but that would be both counterbalances, probably), a lose wrist pin or wrist pin bearing (what the rod attaches to from the crank shaft). You many need someone to pull that piston to see what is happening to it. That can be done without removing the engine from the car and does NOT mean you need an overhaul. Does the oil pressure light flicker at idle speeds? Hmmmmm...... Send us more information; we'll help you figure it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The oil pressure light does not flicker and I wasn't even up for an oil change when I went into sears originally (I go about every three thousand miles and I had about a thousand more to go). My motor mounts are bad, so that's vibration that I get a lot, but no clunking or anything that makes me uneasy, in fact it sounds great with all the stuff they just replaced. What other information could I get for you?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Hey, TreeLady.... Well, that didn't generate much chatter.:serious Let's look at things. How long had it been since your oil pain was removed? Probably never. The question would be: how long ago did that wear take place? Looking at that wear pattern on the crankshaft counterbalance, it's the bottom of the piston rod that has worn that pattern rather than further up on the rod. That would be side-to-side slop in the rod bearing, not the crankshaft bearings as, if the whole crankshaft was moving (which a thrust bearing prevents), the wear would be on all the counterbalances. Was there wear on the opposing side of that rod journal, ie. mirror image wear on the other side? Has this engine had any internal work done to it? Were bearings/rods replaced at any time in the past? Sometimes after things are changed, some new wear takes place and things grind themselves into where they will eventually settle. I would do several things: 1) Drive the car.:) It may be this wear took place 100,000 miles ago. 2) at your next oil change, have them cut the oil filter apart (there are devices to do this that are kind of like a can opener and a hacksaw is NOT one of those devices....:egad::doh:) and see what debris is in there that is new, as all (most?) things in the oil should be caught in the filter. 3) pull the oil pain again and see if a new pile of "dust" has accumulated but there would be a lot of crap in the filter if so. Is the debris magnetic? Less likely from the bearings, then. :confused:Hmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
621 Posts
For $28 Blackstone Labs will analyze your oil sample and tell you what is in your oil.
After test the oil from my Rav, they said I was changing the oil too often at 3,000 miles and could easily do twice that many miles.
Now I change mine around 5,000 miles so the testing has saved me money and gives me a look at my engines health.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts