Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone, yet another block heater post.

I just moved to Winnipeg and when I was at Canadian tire today getting winter tires put on I got a quote for installation of a block heater at $265. It seems to me that I should be able to do it on my own, but I'll be damned if I can find the hole that the block heater is supposed to go into.

I've looked all over the internet and all that I can find is a couple of threads that either don't have pictures, or the pictures are too old to display. I'm a very visual person and even crawling around under the car (as was recommended in one post), I can't for the life of me find the hole.

Is there anyone who would be able to help me out by either posting their own pictures or pointing me in the direction of something I may have missed?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm sure that it's juuust outside of my sight. I'll try jacking up the drivers side tomorrow and see what I can see, thanks.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
There really isn't much out there, diagram- or picture-wise.

I was able to pull from Google's cache some (but not all) of the images from the original R4W post, which are attached. I added the arrow as a guess.

This PDF has a section for the Venza V6 block heater install, which was the same 2GR-FE engine, beginning on Page 4:

http://www.toyotaofdallasparts.com/ProdPDF/venzablockheaterinst.pdf

"The heater core hole location is at the left rear of engine relative to driver (Figure 2)." [Also attached]

I hope this is at least somewhat helpful.

Attachments

Reactions: BlueRocket

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Picture 4 is the best. I remember the hardest part was figuring out where the camera was when the picture was taken? Once you do that it's, "Oh, there it is!"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picture 4 is the best. I remember the hardest part was figuring out where the camera was when the picture was taken? Once you do that it's, "Oh, there it is!"
Could you explain where the camera would have been for Figure 2 (picture 4)? I think I'm going to give it a shot this afternoon but I'm curious if I can access it from up top so I don't have to go buy a better jack than what came with the RAV and stands (or ramps).

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Could you explain where the camera would have been for Figure 2 (picture 4)? I think I'm going to give it a shot this afternoon but I'm curious if I can access it from up top so I don't have to go buy a better jack than what came with the RAV and stands (or ramps).
No, it's been a while and the wife has the RAV4 out now. Besides I'm not gonna crawl under it at 25F!
Definitely DO NOT get under any vehicle w/o the proper jack AND stands. I'd rather see you pay the $256! Better yet check around for a better price from an independent shop. I guarantee at least in Alaska EVERY shop knows how to install a Toyota block heater, probably in 10-15 minutes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, it's been a while and the wife has the RAV4 out now. Besides I'm not gonna crawl under it at 25F!
Definitely DO NOT get under any vehicle w/o the proper jack AND stands. I'd rather see you pay the $256! Better yet check around for a better price from an independent shop. I guarantee at least in Alaska EVERY shop knows how to install a Toyota block heater, probably in 10-15 minutes.
I can't say that I blame you! It's 10F here and I'm dreading it (but it's only going to get worse). I'm looking into getting some ramps and stands instead of a new jack. Will certainly look into independent shops in the area.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I had my block heater installed by the dealer. I just went out and looked under the hood and I could not see where the heater attaches to the engine when looking down from above (hood still attached).

I could see from above that the power cord (partially wrapped in a thermal protective sleeve) disappear behind the engine on the driver's side.

The cord comes up from below on the back side of the engine on the driver's side, over the driver's side of the engine (between the engine and battery), goes around the back of the battery and (when not in use) is coiled up along the inside of the driver's front fender, in front of the battery.

So I'm pretty sure the only way you're going to view the hole into which to put the block heater is from beneath the RAV4.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had my block heater installed by the dealer. I just went out and looked under the hood and I could not see where the heater attaches to the engine when looking down from above (hood still attached).

I could see from above that the power cord (partially wrapped in a thermal protective sleeve) disappear behind the engine on the driver's side.

The cord comes up from below on the back side of the engine on the driver's side, over the driver's side of the engine (between the engine and battery), goes around the back of the battery and (when not in use) is coiled up along the inside of the driver's front fender, in front of the battery.

So I'm pretty sure the only way you're going to view the hole into which to put the block heater is from beneath the RAV4.

Best of luck.

Thanks so much for looking for me. I'm getting one installed at a shop tomorrow, and I'm going to ask them to show me the hole when it's up on the hoist to put my mind at ease.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts