Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello All,

My car is a Rav4 2006 2.4 Engine 4wd limited trim.

I have what they call the Engine blow by problem as the car approaching the 200000 miles. when the car was in the U.S.A let's hopefully assume they used the 5w-20 or the 0w-20. and when it went to Gulf countries for a year and half (where my concerned is much) i don't know what grade do they used as for gulf countries they usually use 20w50 for cameries with the same engine and ravs.

First oil change i couldn't find the 0w-20 or 5w-20 so i used instead 0w-40 and i drove very little so far it's only 120 mile ( two Months and half) with that oil. and the dipstick mark at the same exact place from day one of changing.

my mechanic recommended to drop that at once (as it is so thin and will destroy the engine) and put 20w-50 (like Gulf recommended oil viscosity for toyota cars )

the country maximum hot degree 33 - 36 C and the maximum cold degree never passes -2 C. but i think 20W-50 is too HEAVY for the engine whatsoever.

i'm thinking of putting 10w-30 or 5w-30 or even 0w-30. i'm really lost and can not figure it out.

note: there are no problems with the engine ( no white smoke from the tail pipe or the cap oil when opening it only strong air, even no Scattering oil from the cap once opened, no blue smoke).

i'm thinking of changing the PCV as well to make that blow by lesser/ (will that help?)

For the Oil consumption problem, there is no history record in the Toyota owner about it, not even any major problem of that year except the first call of the suspension only i think not the second (the call of the recall) I emailed Toyota Dealer (where the car serviced its entire history at) asking for the infos regarding the TSBs and Recalls of the car VIN which is JTMBD31V765048485, unfortunately they didn't co-operated (that made me worried o.0).

there are some noises but i don't know if they are related to the oil 0w-40 that i put in it. i will record a video for the engine sound which is loud especially when it is cold.

thank you all.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Temperatures like yours are common in many parts of the USA. 5W30 would be recommended here. I see no problem with the 0W40 other than the expense of buying a synthetic. With that many miles I would use regular oil not synthetic. 10W30 would work as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the more number up the thicker the oil is, right? 0w-40 is thicker than 0w-30 not thinner as the mechanic said?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
the more number up the thicker the oil is, right? 0w-40 is thicker than 0w-30 not thinner as the mechanic said?
You should consult your owners manual for the correct oil type. The climate in Yemen is quite warm so why are you using such a thin oil like 0w-30/0w-40?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a North America car .. the manual said 0w-20 or 5w--20 .. but with a200000 mile engine i think i should go with a thicker oil because of the blow by problem?

So i'm now confused as is the higher number in oil means thicker or thinner??

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
0w20 and 0w50 will have the same cold viscosity (0) but the 0w20 will be thinner when hot than 0w50... I would just use 10w30 or 10w40 and see how that goes

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As i said above this is the first oil change after buying the car i went with 0w-40 but can i put for the next change 0w-20 as recommended or that will affect the Engine with its thinner viscosity especially when hot which has the blow by problem or will the engine drinks a lot of that oil and i need to check it twice per month. will the 0w-20 make the pistons and rings worse and the thicker oil 10w-30 or 40 will prolong the engine life and protect the pistons and rings?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
As i said above this is the first oil change after buying the car i went with 0w-40 but can i put for the next change 0w-20 as recommended or that will affect the Engine with its thinner viscosity especially when hot which has the blow by problem or will the engine drinks a lot of that oil and i need to check it twice per month. will the 0w-20 make the pistons and rings worse and the thicker oil 10w-30 or 40 will prolong the engine life and protect the pistons and rings?
I don't understand why you keep circling back to thin oils(0w-40,50). If you say Toyota recommends 20w-50 in your area, why not just go with that? I wouldn't see that being a problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the problem is that this engine life almost used 0w-20 so if changing that to 20w-50 isn't that a huge move? and very heavy oil for fuel economy.

Per the Manual the best choice is 0w-20 next the conventional 5w-20 .. if the oil grade has nothing to do with the high mileage engine like mine 200000 with a blow by problem (pistons + rings) i will use 0w-20 or 5w-20. if it's recommended to have a thicker oil for that problem i will then choose 5w-30 as suggested by RTexasF or 10w-30 or 10w-40 as suggested by Octane.

and per the manual also i think my country climate is among the range of 0w-20 or 5w-20. correct me if i'm wrong? Gulf Countries are much hotter and colder than Yemen.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
So we have a 200,000 mile 2.4L I-4 with no oil burning or blow by issues. Either that's a record or the engine has been fixed by Toyota. Either way it's now going to be driven 3,000 miles/year and getting 4 oil changes in that mileage!!! And we're fretting about what oil to use??? While ANY of the viscosities mentioned could be used with no issues I certainly wouldn't waste my money on synthetic. And there's no way I'd drain it every 750 miles!
So toss a few coins and make your pick. First for 5W, 10W or 20W; Second for 20, 30 or 50. It isn't going to make ANY difference. Personally I run whatever brand of 5W-20 is on sale. Or is it 5W-30 I use? :confused:

Reactions: ravenuer

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is actually has the blow by problem and thats why i'm asking if it is a must to have a thicker oil or just use the recommended 5w-20 and for the burning oil i didnt know yet as i only drove 120 mile so far with it since i bought it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...For the Oil consumption problem, there is no history record in the Toyota owner about it, not even any major problem of that year except the first call of the suspension only i think not the second (the call of the recall) I emailed Toyota Dealer (where the car serviced its entire history at) asking for the infos regarding the TSBs and Recalls of the car VIN which is JTMBD31V765048485, unfortunately they didn't co-operated (that made me worried o.0)...
So just to clear this up, you have registered your Vin in the Toyota.com/owners website? And all you see is a warranty job for the suspension. I suppose that is possible the previous owner did the services at home or 3rd party shop. But whatever you find in the website, be sure to click on each service to get more detailed info--you might luck out and find which oil had been used before. If there is nothing in that database, the dealer probably isn't going to know anything.

As for which oil, I don't think it matters too much. But since you have no concern for really cold temps and possibly face an overall warmer environment than most, going to 5W-30 would make sense to me. Also easier to find than 5W-20.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Talking about the Engine, I check the coolant line if there is any leakage after cleaning the throttle body i saw a hole in the engine as if it is a place for a sensor or something but it's empty. Would someone compare or tell what fit/miss there? It's on the driver side of the engine under the cylinder head cover towards the throttle body. I have attached a picture

Attachments

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
As many have suggested there's no need for a 0w-anything oil in your climate, we don't even use oils that thin in Southern California (at least I don't). I'd go with 5w-40 or even a 10W-40. There are reasons such thin oil is specified for north american cars and that's the upper midwest which can reach temperatures well below freezing. The other reason for such thin oils is the EPA Corporate Average Fuel Economy, or CAFE standards. Automakers use as light an oil possible to improve their corporate average and avoid penalties. Neither the cold weather conditions nor the EPA CAFE requirements are applicable for your geography. Forget about 0W- oils.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Talking about the Engine, I check the coolant line if there is any leakage after cleaning the throttle body i saw a hole in the engine as if it is a place for a sensor or something but it's empty. Would someone compare or tell what fit/miss there? It's on the driver side of the engine under the cylinder head cover towards the throttle body. I have attached a picture
Never mind .. these are the Hangers places for lifting up the Engine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts