Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem. I have a 99 RAV4 2.0L 3SFE with a 5 spd manual and most of the time when I change gears (excluding 1st) from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and so on I feel that the engine is loosing power for about a second or two and then the power comes back automatically. I don't know how to explain it but the bogging feels like when the cooling fan turns on.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

p.s. I replaced spark plug and wires approximately 3k ago and the engine has 33k.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Mostly guessing here ...

How's the air filter? Unless new, change it.

With a less than full gas tank, try it with the fuel cap loose. If better, then a tank venting problem (limiting fuel flow). Maybe change the fuel filter while you are at it.

Check the timing. And maybe a problem internal to the distributor (old days I would suspect sticky advance weights)? Look/listen for vacuum leaks.

Oxygen sensor(s) more than 60K old?

A plugging-up catalytic converter, maybe?

Plus I'm sure many other things ... good luck!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

The air filter is 3k new. Its K&N.

As for the rest I will check into. Also, the engine has 33k only but Im sure because of the years not the milage that what you have mentioned needs attetion. I will certainly look into your suggestions.

Thanks again for the info.

Any other takers?

·
Registered
33 Posts
when this issue occurs, do you have the defrost or AC on? The extra power drain from the AC conpressor being on may cause your power loss. I know I can definitely feel a difference when i have the AC or defrost on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts