Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Rav4 World!

First time poster here, please be gentle.

Background:
I'm a hands on electrical engineer by day, outdoors man by night. I've successfully kept a '93 Jeep wrangler alive, running and upgraded for years and feel confidant to attack most problems related to old and modern vehicles. While there is far more I don't know than I do, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, do some research, ask some questions and get the job done.

Problem:
I have a 2012 Rav4 with around 50K miles, I4. Recently (week and half) got a CEL and traction control light. No noticable changes in performance of vehicle. I own a code reader, got home and read the following:

Engine codes were:
P0171 - Engine running lean on Bank 1 (only bank)
P0441 - Evap system incorrect purge flow
P0455 - Evap system large leak detected

I reset all codes. Vehicle ran fine for about 30 miles, then CEL and Traction light re-appeared. This time only the P0171 code was shown.

Did some research. And did following.
-Check air filter, and seal. All looks good.
-Pulled the MAF sensor, inspected and cleaned. All looks good.
-Pulled the upstream O2 sensor. Inspeaced and cleaned. Looks good but who really knows.
-Replaced gas cap with new OEM.
-Inspected all spark plugs. All look great.
-Ran a bottle of SeaFoam through gas tank. No effect.

Everytime i reset the codes. The P0171 will come back within 1-15 miles. Seems to be during idle. Twice i have seen the P0441 and P0455 come back, but not always.

Next trouble spot. I have filled the tank up twice, since getting the original codes. Each time I fill up, when I attempt to start the vehicle, it doesn't want to start. I pump the gas and eventually get the engine to fire off, but as the RPM return to idle the engine will bog and die. If I continue to keep the Revs high, after a minute or so the engine will run normal and idle fine. Until the next time I fill up.

Ideas:
I originally was suspecting an issue with the O2 or MAF sensor because of the P0171 code. Or possibly (but unlikely because of the fairly new age of vehicle) a vacuum leak on intake. However, with the issues I am seeing with filling up gas, and the occasional P0441 and P0455 codes begining to wonder if there is an issue with the EVAP system. Ie, purge valve, clogged hose, clogged charcoal canister.......

Any help or pointers?? Thank you in advance! And sorry this was so long..

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Sounds to me like you may be overfilling the tank causing some liquid gas to go down the evap line. That gas can get in your charcoal canister causing these codes. The charcoal is there to scrub gas fumes--it can't handle liquid gasoline. You should never try to keep pumping gas after the pump cuts off automatically.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Sounds to me like you may be overfilling the tank causing some liquid gas to go down the evap line...
Those were my first thoughts as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We never "top it off", fill it till the automatic cut off.

Last night I pulled off the Vapor Canister Purge Valve Solenoid. (EVAP purge solenoid), and discovered it is not working. Currently stuck normally open (supposed to be normally closed) and does not respond when I apply voltage. Ordered a new one and should get here Monday. We'll see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for any input thus far.. I'll keep y'all posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts