Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got several codes, a rough running engine, stalled while driving, and an engine that would start but run rough and immediately shut down. The engine would start and run cold but ran as previously mentioned. The ECT sensor is the one on the outlet fitting (the piece that is between the upper radiator hose and the head) that has a two wire connector. The other single wire sensor is actually a sender for the temperature gauge on the instrument panel.

Codes:
P0115 - Powertrain - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0171 - Powertrain - System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P0441 - Powertrain - Evaporative Emission Control System, Incorrect Purge Flow
P0446 - Powertrain - Evaporative Emission Control System, Control Circuit

The engine did not overheat and fluid was full. Fluid changed in Oct 2017, 50/50 mix Prestone and distilled water.

Procedures:
P0115 - I tested the ECT sensor and it was barely putting out any voltage. I replaced the ECT sensor.
P0171 - The upstream O2 sensor tested good.
P0441 & P0446 - The vacuum lines, fuel vent lines, and fuel tank filler hose are all practically new, appeared to be in like new condition, and all lines were routed properly. I replaced the gas cap but it did not fix the problem the initial P0441 & P0446 codes came back after being cleared. There was vacuum on the tank when opening right after driving the vehicle even before changing the cap but the old one was in rough looking shape that is why I went ahead and replaced it.

Items purchased and installed
- ECT Sensor - SU4007 Duralast/Coolant Temperature Sensor (autozone)
- Fuel Cap - Motorad MGC-825T Tethered Fuel Cap (amazon.com)

I cleared the codes and took ¡Ay, Caramba! for a long test run (60 miles) all went great, she stopped running rough, and none of the codes recurred. A very easy and inexpensive repair, well as long as you use quality aftermarket parts.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
While installing my Yellow Box speedometer calibrator, and I had the airbox out of the way, I was checking the evap canister and crossed up the two evap VSV vacuum lines. I found this when I got a pending P1330 code on my OBD II scanner after clearing all the codes I listed in the previous post and driving her around awhile. The pending P1330 code cleared on its own after recifying the problem and all is well again with ¡Ay, Caramba!. The crossed vacuum lines may have been at least partially responsible for throwing the P0441 & P0446 codes.

I'm going to have to buy myself an oscilloscope for Christmas to help with all this troubleshooting.

·
Registered
597 Posts
O-scopes are fun and useful.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O-scopes are fun and useful.
Any recommendations for an oscilloscope? I haven't worked with one since high school and they were made out of stone back then, I was sad when the dinosaurs died.:lol:

·
Registered
597 Posts
The information I have would be old to the dinosaurs. I use to test and repair some circuit boards with my business but the test and repair bench has collected dust for the past few years. I recently started putting it back together to see if I could work on some of the CB radios I have around here, so I have been looking at some test equipment, but not directly at oscilloscopes since mine is in good shape.

If you just want to check the O2 sensor voltage a cheap hand-held would work for less than $100, maybe way less. But if you have other interest or you just happen to like tools then a 50 to 100 MHz range is a good general scope.

Tektronix offers some good basic tutorials on oscilloscopes and other test equipment on their website: https://www.tek.com/learning

What are you looking to scope?
I am trying to set up a new Galaxy 979 CB to go in the dash of my Rav4.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I want to use an o-scope to troubleshoot the ECU and anything else that needs more than a multimeter to diagnose. I would like to be able to look at all four cylinders firing at the same time on the RAV4 and all 6 on a friends with a 1MZFE in it.

I put a Uniden 980 SSB BEARCAT CB Radio in the regular single din radio slot, it fits there almost like it was made for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts