Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm a recent new Rav4 Limited 4Cyl owner and I've noticed something weird. I can feel a pronounced engine vibration both through the driver's seat and through the steering wheel while in drive at a stop. This goes away when the vehicle is in Park. Previous cars that I have owned always felt smooth, to the point of not knowing if they were running, when in this state. Also, sometimes it's more pronounced than others.

Is this a normal thing for the 4 Cyl Rav4 or do you think I have a problem?

Thanks-

John

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
John, generally 4 cylinders are inherently rough idling engines but ours is smooth as glass. I would give it some break in miles.. say 1500 miles and if it is still pronounced take it back to the dealer to have it looked at. Don't forget. The less number of cylinders = more rough idling at lower rpms. Did you ever feel a lawn mover single cylinder at idle? You can almost feel every cycle of its 4 cycle rotation.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
It depends on the particular design of the engine. My experience has been that Japanese inline four-cylinders can be right up there with the smoothest of them all. The last rental Camry I had you couldn't even tell it was running.

There are electronic controls that manage the idle. Idling a little too low while in gear is not uncommon with older RAVs (mine included). Could be something for the dealer to check.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I doubt that break-in miles has anything to do with it. Play it safe and give the dealer a quick call and see what they have to say. Otherwise make a quick pit stop and let the technician check it out. Good luck... 8)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The G Man said:
What was your previous car?
I currently drive a Mazda3 so the previous car I speak of that is an automatic was Plymouth Voyager minivan. That happens to be a V6.

I also drove a Rav4 Sport on a test drive and don't remember the rough idle while in drive at a stop. I think I'll trake the advice of a few and have it checked out when I get time.

Thanks

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bmorton said:
It depends on the particular design of the engine. My experience has been that Japanese inline four-cylinders can be right up there with the smoothest of them all. The last rental Camry I had you couldn't even tell it was running.

There are electronic controls that manage the idle. Idling a little too low while in gear is not uncommon with older RAVs (mine included). Could be something for the dealer to check.
My 2005 RSX-S had VERY noticeable vibration in the steering wheel and passenger door during idle. This was especially true when the idle was higher (about 1500rpms) before the car warmed up and the idle dropped. The door actually made annoying buzzing noises unfortunately.

My other experience with GM 4cyl engines (98 Grand AM, 2001 Sunfire GT) was that they were always somewhat rough and made you think they were occaisionally 'missing'.

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts