Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I’m new here! ? I got a new 2020 XLE Premium a week ago (last saturday). While driving home that day, a check engine message appeared on the dash screen. I called the dealership and was told it could be a defective sensor or something not to worry about. I scheduled a service appointment for the next sat (today) to get that check engine message resolved.

Meanwhile, I was using the vehicle without any issues (7 days til today). I was reading the forum about some issues with engine hesitation and the start/stop system without a not permanent disable setting. Both issues were not happening to my Rav4, so I didn’t care too much about the topic.

Today was my service appointment and they resolved the check engine message, BUT I think they upgraded the vehicle software or something like that because now those issues are present. Driving back home, the start/stop system was enabled and I have to turned it off manually. Also, I felt that hesitation when going on slow speed.

Definitely it have to be a software issue. I hope Toyota resolve this because that S/S on a non-hybrid car is the dumbest thing IMO. What do you think?

Saludos from Puerto Rico! ??

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think that you may you may need to retrain the computer. The hesitation issue has happened to me before and I tried many things that did not work. What worked for me was to reset the ECU and proceed to drive in a shopping mall at very low speeds with many stops for 1 hour and after that another 30 to 45 minutes of normal driving on public roads. This did the trick for me, but it was on a RAV4 2017.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think that you may you may need to retrain the computer. The hesitation issue has happened to me before and I tried many things that did not work. What worked for me was to reset the ECU and proceed to drive in a shopping mall at very low speeds with many stops for 1 hour and after that another 30 to 45 minutes of normal driving on public roads. This did the trick for me, but it was on a RAV4 2017.
He is correct on training the vehicle here is the last page of the TSB that explains what the technician is required to do before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It infuriates me that dealerships do not follow procedures set forth by Toyota. If they are going to disconnect the battery at any point or reflash the ECU, they need to be the ones retraining the ECU and let us know that further learning is required upon return of the vehicle to the customer. They do none of that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts