Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question....

I had a remote starter installed into the RAV4 base and noticed that I can drive off with the car with a copy keyed that had no built in chip in it. It this normal? I guess this is what the immobilizer bypass is? And to confirm, the RAV4 base does have a engine immobilizer... right? I don't want to find out that the installers made me buy a bypass for no reason.

Thanks.

-Sidney

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dammit... that means I did not need the immobilizer bypass installed.

OK. Thanks for the info. I guess back to them and try to get my money back. I think I will get a hard time for refund on labor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After an email from Toyota to confirm about the immobilizer. They stated that this feature is indeed available in the Limited version, however available as an add-on option as part of the alarm system.

I went back to Circuit City where I got the Python 881XP installed and they had no problems returning my money for the immobolizer/transponder bypass they said I originally needed. I ended up using the returned money to buy the backup battery, truck pin and hood pin. Now the car is fully secured and all status info is on my LCD remote.

V

·
0 Posts
On the Toyota Canada site, it shows the engine immmobilizer as standard on all versions.

V

·
0 Posts
On the Toyota Canada site, it shows the engine immmobilizer as standard on all versions. :shock:

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
thats something different then we are talking about. Thats a security system that is an accessory. The Limited has a chip IN the key that will not allow a start unles you use that key from the factory.

norbertsf said:
Our Sport came with the engine immobilzer (VIP) system.

V

·
0 Posts
Oh so that isn't what is referred to as the engine immobilizer?

What is the engine immobilizer?

Having the microchip encoded keys, would be a huge benefit for those that want extra security.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The engine immobilizer is standard on all Canadian models. As well as the wiper blade de-icer, heated mirrors and low windshield fluid warning light.

V

·
0 Posts
how does the engine immobilizer work?

or does it only work with the chip encoded key?

V

·
0 Posts
Okay,

I just read somewhere that the engine immobilizer only works with the chip encoded key. So for Canadians, since the Toyota Canada site mentiones that all models of the Rav4 come with the engine immobilizer standard, does that mean that the chip encoded keys are as well?

:?:

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
If you have the engine immobilizer, you can only start the car with a chip encoded key. If you install a remote starter, you will need a engine immobilizer bypass, in some cases, you will need to give up one of your keys for the bypass unit.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
yes. This is how it works. The limited is the only one in the US that has this chip in the key. The engine will not start unless you have this chip IN the key. in Fact IF you get an aftermarket remote start with keyfob system for a Limited they must TAPE a key with a chip in it under the dash so that it detects the chip so that the remote start can work.

vroom2grow said:
how does the engine immobilizer work?

or does it only work with the chip encoded key?

V

·
0 Posts
Inocense said:
HEY!!.. I want a wiper blade de-icer!.. :x

Why do the Canadians get all the cool stuff!??! :p
Not positive, but I believe that the wiper blade de-icers are standard. All it is, is the same defrost lines on your back window, except they are on the bottom portion of the windshield...where the wipers sit. Living in the Great White North, where it's occasionally coooold, this is going to a big help. However, I will have to test it when winter rolls around and the snow is falling heavy. As is always the problem, the wipers just get caked with snow and the effectiveness of the wipers gets worse and worse.

I supposed what would be really cool, is for the actual wiper arms or blades to be heated, so that this doesn't happen...hmmmm. There are probably a lot of other cost-NOT-effective ways to get this done. LOL!!! :shock:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hahaha.. yeah work on it for us!.. :lol:

But yeah.. You don't have to tell me about snow getting caked on wipers!!.. The weather can be brutal in Chicago!!!! :?

V

·
0 Posts
Inocense said:
Hahaha.. yeah work on it for us!.. :lol:

But yeah.. You don't have to tell me about snow getting caked on wipers!!.. The weather can be brutal in Chicago!!!! :?
It's funny that you mentioned the weather in Chicago. Many, many moons ago...okay like 10 years ago, a friend of mine from Potomac, Maryland, was going to school up here in Ontario. Her friends honestly thought that up in the Great White North, it was ALWAYS cold. They told her to pack lots of think winter coats and hats and other winter clothing. I was like, it really is true that some folks live in a bubble. Chicago weather is bad, so is the weather up in Canada, and so is the weather on the east coast of Canada and the US. Just kinda funny to hear different perspectives.

vroom2grow

P.S. I just found out that my wife and I are having a baby....Grrrrrrrrrl...so instead of cigars...what does one pass around?!?!?!?! a new Rav4 brochure? :p

1 - 20 of 42 Posts