Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have brand new rav4 xle 2015.
Engine is running too hot that i do smell plastic burning when i sniff by the hood.
Temperature on the dashboard monitor seems to be normal.
All the parts(Coolant reservoir, all the hose, plastic by the hood far corner) are too hot that i can't even touch.
Is this symptom normal for new car or rav 4 or am i too paranoid?
Thanks.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sounds like a normal engine to me, it should be too hot to touch at operating temp (I think my t'stat is 84*c in the old ravs, not sure on the new ones) the plastic smell will be the new plastics and rubber products getting nice and hot, and giving off some fumes/gasses from the manufacturing process. sorta like what gives the cabin its "new car smell" its just vapors coming off the fresh plastics, it ws one of the things I learned about doing my injection molding apprenticeship.
New cars are just so loaded with plastics and composites, that some "hot plastic" smell will be normal during run-in.

Reactions: 13ookmark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply.
Btw, is coolant reservoir suppose to be really hot as well?? I really dont think plastic container won't last long under that temperature.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Its normal for the coolant bottle to be hot, the engine should be circulating coolant through it. they are (usually) made of mineral filled nylon (polyamide) just the same as the radiator end tanks, just without the carbon black. the operating temp of nylon is surprisingly high. I would bet your intake manifold is also made of glass filled nylon, or similar plastics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon_66

Reactions: 13ookmark

·
Registered
694 Posts
That's normal. All new engines are covered with a thin layer of corrosion prevention "oil" to protect them from corrosion during storage and shipping. This oil has to burn off. Most new cars smell like this for the first couple of weeks. Is this your first new car?

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
When we bought our '08 V-6 RAVs both smelled strongly of antifreeze when new. Strong enough that I was under the car(s) looking for leaks. There were none. The delightful aroma eventually went away and there have been no problems since.........except for the water pumps very recently. They were both replaced under extended warranty. No smell, oddly enough.

Trust the temp gauge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes this is my first new car. ^^
I was bit paranoid since i didn't know anything about brand new car.
Thank you so much for all useful and kind answers.
I feel so much better now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts