Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 1k miles on a new 2017 Rav4 hybrid limited.

Love the car! I was averaging about 33mpg on the way to work occasionally breaking 40 on some trips depending on traffic. The engine always used to kick in when I had 1 or 2 bars of battery left (around 20% or so) and I primarily coasted when rolling along in traffic.

I took the car in to get body work done and ever since I got it back, the engine is starting up at 75% battery when I'm in eco mode and I can't run on it down to 20%. I've lost about 5mpg because of this.

Any ideas? The weather hasn't really gotten that much colder.

·
Registered
236 Posts
To clarify... the battery graph when you’re looking at the Toyota display will show 2 bars at about 40% SOC. This is the point at which the ICE runs in a “forced regen” state until the SOC hits 50%. The computer will never let it get down to 20%. Regardless, are you now saying that the ICE runs in a consistent force-regen mode at 1 bar less than full (75%)? For reference (assuming you don’t have Hybrid Assitant or a ScanGauge) each bar is *roughly* 5% SOC - although it’s not exact.

There are a lot of variables that go into when the ICE runs even if your battery is “sufficiently” charged. Has anything else changed besides visiting the body shop (different routes, shorter runs, etc)?

The computer wants to keep the battery at 60% in general. It’ll allow for discharges down to about 40% and regen up to about 80%. When it’s higher than 70% it’ll tend to apply more battery power than average and when it’s lower than 50% it’ll tend to kick on the ICE more than average.

Worst case if it really is running the ICE all the time, then it’s probably worth taking in for some warranty work... At least it’s all covered if you’ve only got 1k on the odometer!

·
Registered
26 Posts
To clarify... the battery graph when you’re looking at the Toyota display will show 2 bars at about 40% SOC. This is the point at which the ICE runs in a “forced regen” state until the SOC hits 50%. The computer will never let it get down to 20%. Regardless, are you now saying that the ICE runs in a consistent force-regen mode at 1 bar less than full (75%)? For reference (assuming you don’t have Hybrid Assitant or a ScanGauge) each bar is *roughly* 5% SOC - although it’s not exact.

There are a lot of variables that go into when the ICE runs even if your battery is “sufficiently” charged. Has anything else changed besides visiting the body shop (different routes, shorter runs, etc)?

The computer wants to keep the battery at 60% in general. It’ll allow for discharges down to about 40% and regen up to about 80%. When it’s higher than 70% it’ll tend to apply more battery power than average and when it’s lower than 50% it’ll tend to kick on the ICE more than average.

Worst case if it really is running the ICE all the time, then it’s probably worth taking in for some warranty work... At least it’s all covered if you’ve only got 1k on the odometer!
Using your Scanguage with SOC, what do you find as to the number of bars on the screen compared to a 40%, 50%, 60%, 70%, 80% SOC? Have you ever seen it on the Scanguage go below 40% or above 80% SOC?

·
Registered
236 Posts
2 bars is definitely 40%, 4 bars is about 50% and 6 bars is about 60%. The battery shows "full" around 72-74%. These numbers are do not always seem to be exact, but they're good approximations. (Anyone with Hybrid Assistant / SGII , feel free to chime in if you're seeing different numbers.)

The absolute maximum the computer will allow the HV battery to reach is 80%. At this point (if you're on a long down grade riding the brakes, for example) the computer will start draining power by intentionally running the ICE at medium to high RPMs (in an engine braking manner) in order to keep the battery from exceeding that SOC level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts