Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine light is constantly on. i had it checked and the read out code said egr valve. I have tried to take the old one off and clean it, since the guy at the dealership said I might try that before replacing it, but to no avail. I can not get it disconnected from the main pipe. ANy suggestions on this. On other cars, I had to remove the pipe from other under the car in order to remove the egr valve, but was unsure if I needed to do the same here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
4 bolts from the top

I was able to remove my EGR valve fairly easily form the top. There are a total of 4 bolts holding it as I recall. 2 hold it to the engine. 2 connect it to the EGR tube. There was also a vacuum line or two going to the modular. It may help to pre-soak the bolts with some sort of penetrating oil before attempting to remove.

My EGR was fine but my problem is with my vacuum switching valve (VSV) located under the intake. (To find the VSV, follow the vacuum hose down from the modulator). You may also want to try cleaning the EGR tube with some carb cleaner if insufficient flow is your problem.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had this problem for 12 months

I had this same problem. Check Engine Light nearly burnt a hole in my dash. Took it to the dealership 5 times, they replaced the valves, hoses, etc. No good, light came back on everytime. A lot of frustration on this one. Finally I was getting some new parts for my Retarded A$$ Vechicle, and the sales guy from Shucks M&O said "oh sounds like you need new spark plug wires"

Yeah right, marketing ploy, just trying to sell a part, Right? NOPE! Cleared up the problem.

So get new wirez b4 you spend any money or time on replacing or cleaning those tarted vacs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts