Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine light came on yesterday. (I was returning from a 300 mile drive.) I took it up to Auto Zone and the guy read the codes as 420 and 430. He told me that it is probably the cat. converter. Said it may be clogged or need changing. This guy also told me to try a can of "Guarenteed To Pass" fuel additive, come back in a few days and let him reset the CEL and see if that might do the trick. I'm leary of this advise. What do you guys here think? Should I try the additive? Or, should I simply take it to the Toyota dealer and trust their directions? :roll: (With 52, 000 miles and no previous problems, I guess I can't complain much.)

·
Registered
344 Posts
A couple of us have had the same codes show up. First do a search in RAV4World forums for threads about check engine lights, P0420, P0430, and catalytic convertors and sensors. Then go to the TSB section of RAV4World and look up the related technical service bulletin(s).

Forget the engine additive. Your vehicle is still under both the manufacturer's warranty and the federal emissions warranty. Be well read on the TSBs and what the rest of us went through, then take your RAV to the dealership and have them look at it. They should examine it and fix it on their $$$.

Document everything. The dealer may reprogram your ECU, and that might fix the problem. If it doesn't, then they'll have to do something with the converter and sensors, probably replacing them. Don't let them charge you for fixing that problem, as it should be covered by both the TSBs and the emissions warraranty.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for steering me , Liz! I'm headed to the dealership now with TSB in hand ! (As I've recently moved to this area, I'm not sure if this dealership is gonna try to jerk me around or not, so wish me luck!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts