Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We just took our 2007 Rav4 (152,500 miles) into our mechanic for an oil change and for them to check a noise that was coming from the passenger side of the engine. The noise sounded like a belt issue to me but a possible transmission issue to my husband. The noise was only audible when the car was in drive and stopped (like at a stop light). If we put it in neutral or park (while stopped) the noise went away. The mechanic thought it was the belt slack adjuster (something hydraulic) and we replaced. He called us back and said new part did not fix sound and now they think noise is coming from the engine but he doesn't get into engines. He put back our old part. The funny thing is now the noise happens when in park or neutral but not in drive????? Any suggestions? Not sure we want to spend the money to "get into the engine" to figure it out??

Thanks
JimCandy

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,889 Posts
A mechanic who doesn't "get into engines"?? Time to find a new mechanic.

·
Registered
164 Posts
that area is really difficult to isolate the actual component causing the issue, i have the same model year and do all my own repairs(most of the repairs, had the ze7 warranty enhancement for oil consumption done by a dealer with the $extra$...i wanted it done right), vehicle now at 202,500. After i got vehicle back had a different noise to it in that area, knowing that the internal engine components now at a "tighter tolerance" ultimately it was the alternator, strange it was around the same mileage you are reporting.

I would at that mileage replace almost everything in there....serp belt, tensioner, alternator and water pump, again at that mileage and 10 yrs running a complete coolant change is needed.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Since the noise actually changed it's behavior after the belt and tensioner were messed with, I'd lean toward water pump or alternator. But as stated, it's tough to say without listening.
The fact it went away when it is put in drive after the swap, you should at least see as good news I would think since it pretty much lets the tranny off the hook IMO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
We just took our 2007 Rav4 (152,500 miles) into our mechanic for an oil change and for them to check a noise that was coming from the passenger side of the engine. The noise sounded like a belt issue to me but a possible transmission issue to my husband. The noise was only audible when the car was in drive and stopped (like at a stop light). If we put it in neutral or park (while stopped) the noise went away. The mechanic thought it was the belt slack adjuster (something hydraulic) and we replaced. He called us back and said new part did not fix sound and now they think noise is coming from the engine but he doesn't get into engines. He put back our old part. The funny thing is now the noise happens when in park or neutral but not in drive????? Any suggestions? Not sure we want to spend the money to "get into the engine" to figure it out??

Thanks
JimCandy
Did you ever figure out what it was? I have the same issue at 108,000.

·
Super Moderator
11,071 Posts
Did you ever figure out what it was? I have the same issue at 108,000.
jimcandy hasn't been on the forum since his last post in 2017.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts