Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently started hearing a noise from the engine area while under load around 4000rpm. Sounds like a bad bearing sound but I only have a little over 40k kms. I checked the oil thinking it might be cam noise but oil was fine.

Anyone else have any issues under the hood of the 4.4 Rav?

I have a 2013 Rav4 LTD.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Could you post a recording of the noise? That would be helpful for others who might also be hearing that sort of noise as well as helping forum members to try to diagnose the situation.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try but it's very low.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Recently started hearing a noise from the engine area while under load around 4000rpm. Sounds like a bad bearing sound but I only have a little over 40k kms. I checked the oil thinking it might be cam noise but oil was fine.

Anyone else have any issues under the hood of the 4.4 Rav?

I have a 2013 Rav4 LTD.
Are you referring to a noticeable change in engine noise / tone when accelerating under load, occurring aroung 4-4.5k RPMs?

If yes, then it's normal. It is the VVT changing valve timing. The change occurs around 4.5k RPMs, and it consists in advancing inlet valves timing. The engine gets noticeably more noisy when VVT advances the valve timing, and you can also feel a slight "surge" (increase) in engine torque.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This sounds like when there's a bearing gone but not as loud. Right around 3500-4000 RPM. Also only when its warmed up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Given that it happens under load, at a specific RPM range, and when the engine is warmed up - could be a faulty serpentine belt tensioner.

This was a big issue on many of the Corollas and Matrix cars for some time, some Highlanders and Tundra trucks also had issues with the tensioner. Cause was from either the belt tensioner's little "shock" would wear-out or the tensioner's pulley bearing would wear-out.

Sometimes a badly glazed belt will make some funny noises - can be a high pitched chirp to a low pitch grumble. Because of where it is located - can sound like the noise is coming from the valvetrain or engine internals.

I would also double-check the accessories (alternator, A/C compressor, water pump, etc.) and their pulleys as well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had it into the dealer and they couldn't hear anything. There's definitely a noise.

So I'll wait till it blows up. >:D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or not...being China made.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Or not...being China made.
Reminds me of how Americans spoke about Japanese-made cars in the 1970's.

Let's wait another 20 years and see where China and USA will be in mid-2030's.

China is moving forward because they are focusing on education, science, technology and innovations. Americans are fixated with battling over abortion and "freedom of religion". China is looking forward, America is stuck on the past. World and society evolve, and those who expect that old solutions are the answers to tomorrow's problems are usually left behind by those who challenge past ideas and innovate.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The first vehicles imported into the U.S. from Japan were of relatively poor quality. With the 2017 Buick Enclave to be imported from China it will be interesting to see how it tests out and how it fares.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Noise is still there and seems to be getting worse.

Got another new noise...when I apply the brakes I hear a scrunch. I know the brakes are close to being due as my dash light is on meaning fluid is low. But I didn't think they would be making a noise.

I think it's time to take the service manager for a ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im wondering if you are hearing the differential and the AWD working... I know I can hear it all the time.. It's a pleasant sound in my opinion

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is a knocking sound. Either a bad bearing in a belt pulley or engine internal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Recently started hearing a noise from the engine area while under load around 4000rpm.

If it's a rod bearing, then you should hear it all the time, not just at a specific RPM. Also, it should be louder when maintaining rpm, rather than on accel or decel.

If it's a main bearing, you usually get oil pressure warning lights appearing with the knocking sound.
Full Disclosure: I have no idea if your Rav has an oil pressure warning light.

Could it actually be engine knock? Knock is most common under load, and when the engine is working the hardest (I think the Rav's torque peaks just before 4k rpm) which would make sense.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The sound is just like taking a spoon and tapping it on a counter....really fast.

·
Registered
104 Posts
^^^ Sounds like valvetrain noise or noise from timing chain and associated components. If you have someone available to help, try revving the engine with the hood up and listening/pinpointing the noise source. See if it is RPM dependent or a load dependent. Double check that oil levels are full - running too much or too little oil can cause this sort of sound. Could be as simple as something physically touching the engine and getting that resonance at that key frequency - could be a loose bolt, loose heat shield, bent fan blade, etc.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Noise is getting louder so I brought it to the dealer and took the service manager for a spin. Guess what...no noise. I couldn't believe it...no noise no matter what I did.

Next day...noise is back. LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello GT BAKER i have same problem in my toyota rav4 we change shaft assembly and also changed the exhaust manifold and engine overhaul but still same problem

1 - 20 of 26 Posts