Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone that has owned the 4.2 model Rav4 noticed that the engine sounds different in the 4.3? It has a totally different sound to it and is louder. Is the exhaust different and that is why? Or is it because they slightly redesigned the 2.4 liter this year?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't think it's "too" loud, I think the sound is appropriate for the class of car. Quieter than the 4.1. I kinda like the extra "vroom" when you push it.

I also like the Volkswagen commercial where a guy is driving and his girlfriend is next to him talking, and he interrupts her saying (approx.) "Honey, can you keep it down, all your talking is making it hard for me to hear the car."

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tony. I didn't even realize that is where the muffler sits on these models and hadn't bothered to look. That definately explains why it is a bit louder. I'm used to it now but I did like how the 4.2 model was slightly more quiter.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder where the muffler is located on the other quieter vehicles?

Also, would this be an opportunity to use some sound insulation material?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I test drove both the 4-CYL AND V6. The 4-CYL seems noisier than the V6... or maybe it's just me !?!

·
Registered
302 Posts
great job Karrock....

hope you find one for the 4.2 i was hoping to figure out how am i going to design my custom exhaust... :wink:

i am thinking of locating the muffler underneath, too then come out with a dual exhaust......:twisted:

thanks!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I may end up checking with a muffler shop about this eventually, but by then I will have become really used to it (maybe). I've only had the new Rav a week so I'm not used to the noise just yet. Mufflers are fairly inexpensive and I wonder if a different kind was put on it if it would make it more quiet. Maybe there is something else a muffler shop could do?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suppose you could wrap it with foil lined fiberglass insulation. :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The further the muffler is from the exhaust manifold, the longer it takes to heat up and dry out.

In city driving with short trips a muffler mounted at the rear of a vehicle will have more acidic exhaust moisture in it compared to a muffler mounted further forward.

The Tercel wagon of the 80's was a stretched version of the 2 door. The muffler on the wagon was located at the rear of the vehicle and they rusted out VERY quickly.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
karrock said:
The muffler is directly below the passenger compartment -- runs from the back of the front passenger seat into the rear passenger area.
What is the source for all these great pictures??

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
Yup, great picture.
And what is that black thing on the other side opposite to the muffler?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rob4.3 said:
I test drove both the 4-CYL AND V6. The 4-CYL seems noisier than the V6... or maybe it's just me !?!
I found the V6 to be much quieter than the I4 on acceleration but there is less difference at constant highway speed. BTW the V6 has the longest damn muffler I've ever seen but I think the difference in noise is how hard the engine is working. Floor the I4 at about 30 and it is pretty loud as it kicks down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts