Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic told me I needed an engine overhaul. Have anyone had one I have 99 81k miles. I posted a while ago white smoke coming from exhaust pipe. Well, I had several opinions and that was the latest and most expensive. Is it worth it? :cry:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$1200, He's a toyota mechanic and he'll being doing it after regular hours.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As Chucks97 says, What work is he doing for $1200!!! Is this a friend, or just an offer from a Toyota tech? You were a little vague about "white smoke." How thick? Very bad smell, or just faint?
Maybe you need something done, but I'm awfully suspicious..."engine overhaul" sounds more like "blank check."
I don't know where you've gone, but I would say take it to a Toyota dealer, and tell them you want the 85k mile tune-up because the exhaust seems a little more "noticeable" than it used to. I'd be subtle about the exhaust - as in "I'd like to improve this" as opposed to "I have a problem and I'm at your mercy." See what they say. If they know you're willing to do a scheduled maintenance ($$$) they may be less likely to try and bilk you for something that's no big deal.
Just a thought.
Todd

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He was recommended from a friend.
I'v had the fuel injector system flush.

I took it to him and he did not even see the smoke he said he was working on one that what doing exactly what I described :?
and I needed to have my pistol ring, all gaskets, seals and valve replaced (except head gasket) he also said he would change the timing belt, water pump and another belt :roll:

I was concern because he never saw the vehicle smoke, he just going on what another Rav was doing?

My smoke is thick and has a faint smell and goes away a little after start up. It only does after the rav sits for 3-4 hours and of course overnight. It does not matter if its cold or hot. It has never overheated. My oil changed was very black and the mechanic oil was burning from somewhere???

I'm just :shock:

i hope this helps

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RAVRAV99,

I am not a mechanic. But I am old enough to have driven my share of cars, all of them used, with their share of problems. I do very little work myself, but I always buy the Haynes manual for the cars I own so that I can at least understand what is happening when I have a problem. With that said, here is my opinion, and I hope that if anyone thinks I have made any mistakes they will correct me:
You bought a used car. It has 80k miles. This neither high nor low miles for a Toyota. Until it is warmed up, any car will give of some "white smoke," which will eventually go away completely, or become very faint. It also becomes more noticeable when the weather is cold, but particularly when the weather is VERY cold (for the same reason you can see your breath when it is VERY cold). As the car ages, this will become more pronounced, but is usually not a concern unless it becomes very smelly, turns black, or both. While a timing belt & water pump replacement is a good idea at this mileage, 80k just doesn't seem like enough to need "piston ring, all gaskets, seals and valve replaced" (BTW, what valve? maybe PCV would be a good idea).
I once had an 87 Accord. A dealer said my head gasket was leaking at about 175,000k. According to the dealer, "it could go at any time." Of course you get worried that he means tomorrow, but "any time" includes 10 years from now, too! It just means they're unwilling to guarrantee you anything at all unless they WORK ON IT . This is for two valid reasons: 1) They're in business to make money, & 2) giving advice like that about a car they don't work on is a substantial liability. Anyway, I sold that car at 300,000k only after 5th gear disappeared. I never replaced any gaskets or seals. Sure it smoked more by then (dark & smelly). But it drove great!
I would say, do the scheduled maintenance, replace the air filter, replace the PCV valve, have someone clean the throttle-body maybe (read the other threads on this), get the oil changed every 3000k miles...and then just keep an eye on it. Since it's new to you, you need a point of reference to know if it's getting WORSE. It doesn't sound like it's a dire issue at this point.
Whew! I sure am wordy!
Todd

·
Registered
106 Posts
He says it needs new piston rings??? Not only has he not performed a leak-down or compression test.....he hasn't even seen the truck run.

Screw that...........get a real opinion.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
How many mechanics have you been going to???

According to another thread you had I thought you had the compression test done already and it checked out fine ? :roll:

Also the startup smoke issue is most likely due to valve seals as we all mentioned before.... not something to worry about too much but also not too expensive to fix if you need to....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah, smoke on start up would suggest that its a valve stem seal issue, not piston rings.

Though $1200 does sound rather cheap for an overhaul.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MY RAV4 HAS BEEN PUSHING SMOKE ON EVERY STARTUP SINCE ABOUT 85000 MILES. I AM NOW AT 140000 MILES, RUNNING PRETTY WELL AND NO INTENTION OF A REBUILD. THAT MECHANIC IS TAKING YOU FOR A RIDE. GET A TUNE UP AND TAKE A TRIP WITH YOUR HONEY WITH THE LEFT OVER CASH. WATCH YOUR OIL LEVEL, AND TRANS FLUID.
I LOVE MY RAV4 AND WORK OUT OF IT.
PEACE,
JEFF

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Chucks97 said:
He says it needs new piston rings??? Not only has he not performed a leak-down or compression test.....he hasn't even seen the truck run.

Screw that...........get a real opinion.
I agree with Chuck. Any repsectable mechanic will do an inspection prior to quoting a repair price. AT minimum a leak down and compression check would be necessary to determine if the rings or valves are bad necessitating any kind of cylinder head repair or ring replacement.

I have replaced valves seals on a number of engines and that is not too difficult and should not be very expensive for any experienced mechanic especially on a 4-banger RAV engine.

White smoke on start up is water vapor and not abnormal. (0)
Significant white smoke after warm up maybe cylinder head leaking coolant. ($$$)
A puff of light blue smoke (just on start-up) is valve stem seals. ($$)
Blue smoke while driving is oil related and maybe bad or broken rings. ($$$$$)
Black smoke is rich fuel condition ($$)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I Finally Did It

I had the timing belt and all the other belts, water pump, therm, valve seal, head gasket, i know i;m missing something oh yea the egr cleaned. Complete tune up wires etc...

Now the engine is racing and i'm losing antifreeze :x somewhere. I have to take it back to the mechanic. I must it admit it is running much better. The previous owner did not take care of her at all. The oil was really black and terrible build up. The work really wiped me out $$$$. :cry: I don't know if I'll be able to get to the accessories I want to put on her. :!:

I like my RAV but at 82K miles is this normal. Like I said the previous owner didn't take care of her.

• Any repsectable mechanic will do an inspection prior to quoting a repair price. AT minimum a leak down and compression check would be necessary to determine if the rings or valves are bad necessitating any kind of cylinder head repair or ring replacement. I have replaced valves seals on a number of engines and that is not too difficult and should not be very expensive for any experienced mechanic especially on a 4-banger RAV engine.
My mechanic came highly recommend thanks again DJ.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts