Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody happen to have a picture of a '97 L's engine compartment lying around? I'm curious about all these huge black boxes stuck in there.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two of the three of them are labelled as relays, the third's not labelled at all, and is about the size of a toaster. I don't have pictures of them yet, but I'm going to try to get some taken here soon.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, okay. *nodding* I'm used to carburetors still... it's a little weird not having a big disk on top of the engine when I pop the hood, but I'm getting used to it.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is it, where do I get it, and how much is it gonna cost me?

Also, beyond a basic tune-up, any advice on how to get better gas mileage out of Shinjo (after a few variations, that's the name we decided on for the little thing)?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
That is a custom cold air intake. I made that one myself from a variety of spare parts and a K&N X Stream air filter. You can buy RAV4 specific application cold air intake kits from eBay. The less expensive ones don't cost that much.

As for better ways of getting better gas mileage; remember to keep the tires properly inflated and a light foot on the gas pedal. :lol:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Derek, its interesting that you mention gas milage. On this last tank of gas I got near 375 miles. I normally get around the 300 mark. But here's the wierd part. I've been racing my RAV more than normal. How 'bout that? lead foot = better mpg. Isn't that strange.

If I may. I used the bosch platinum +4 plugs in my RAV, and I've had very good luck with them. God mpg and performance.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hmmmm.... I got the same platinum +4 plugs that you have and have seen no difference.

Remember the old thread that we discussed about how mods. affected gas mileage. When I calculated my mileage on each mod. that was added, there really was not much of an improvement on mileage. Performance definitely improved, but mileage (in my case) went slightly down. :(

There's probably some other significant factor that may attribute better mileage in your situation. Temperature changes or maybe a recent oil change could provide for a smoother running car? :D

·
Registered
650 Posts
Derek said:
There's probably some other significant factor that may attribute better mileage in your situation. Temperature changes or maybe a recent oil change could provide for a smoother running car? :D
Maybe he discovered a new way to clean the injectors... just step on it!
You know, kindda like blowing your nose.... blow your injectors clean! :lol: :lol: :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So we call this technique what? The Snot Method or something?

·
Registered
432 Posts
You know, this happened after my RAV sat for a month because I re-did my rear suspension. When I got her first going, she ran like utter crap. Then I filled her up (premium of course, its all I use). and played lead foot for a good part of the tankful.

As far as temp goes, I don't know. I've never gotten this good of gas mileage, ever. Not sure.

BTW, got my new plugs by Torque Master today, to compliment my MSD. I'm finally going to get that going. Still gotta change oil too.
We'll have to see what this tankful does and try to figure something out.

In case some of you other experienced drivers want to mimic my actions. We're talking hitting the redline every gear up to fifth, depending on the speed limit (or how fast you want to go). But that's what I've been up to. Fast and Furious baby :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts